Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

19 weeks and still no movements

(20 Posts)
Figgygal Sun 08-May-16 16:48:21

Hi

I'm pg with dc2 I had expected to feel things a lot earlier this time and I felt ds from 16 weeks but there's nothing.

At the 12 weeks scan my placenta was to the front so expected it would mean less feelings but seriously there's been nothing!!!! I've also not had stretching pains at any point.

I have 20 week scan on Thursday and I'm getting bigger all the time and though my sensible side tells me the placenta is absorbing all movement I'm also terrified something is wrong and the scan will tell me something awful has happened.

Anyone else been in same position?

PinPon Sun 08-May-16 16:52:43

Yes, front placenta position can really mask those first few kicks. You will feel them, but it'll take a little longer than if the placenta was elsewhere.

Beansprout30 Sun 08-May-16 17:03:31

I'm 29 weeks today with Anterior placenta and I hardly feel much even now, it's quite disappointing and I can't help worrying sometimes but I mw does not seem concerned and baby's heartbeat and measurements have all been spot on. Try not to worry, I'm sure all is fine

onceuponadream2016 Sun 08-May-16 18:16:26

I had an anterior placenta and started feeling my daughter bang on 23 weeks, hang in there your lo will be kicking away before you know it, waking you up and all sorts ! smile

leoniethelioness Sun 08-May-16 18:16:52

I'm 19+4 today and apart from maybe once or twice when I've had a feeling in my belly akin to what I get when my eye twitches, nothing. It's my first baby and I'm also getting bigger so I'm not worried but it'd love the reassurance of some movements! My scan is next week and I'm a bit anxious but trying to stay positive as worrying about it won't change anything!

scoobyloobyloo Sun 08-May-16 18:20:50

Am 32 wks woth anterior placenta. I still hardly feel her move apart from if I lie flat on my back, then she goes mental!

There are loads of threads about anteriors - as long as baby is moving on the scan, you're fine. You will inevitably have whole days of worry but keep telling yourself this is normal for your baby!

19 wks is still early for movement esp with anterior.

MrsCocoa Sun 08-May-16 18:28:05

Hope there might be a midwife along in a minute, but I think if you are feeling concerned by a lack of movement it is always an idea to talk to your midwife without delay, if only for reassurance and to minimise stress.

TheTravellingLemon Sun 08-May-16 19:44:17

I've had two pregnancies with anterior placentas. I felt movement at 20 weeks and 23 weeks.

SouthDownsSunshine Sun 08-May-16 19:46:34

I had this with dd. I first felt movement at 24 weeks. And they were always muffled, except to my bladder confused

KleineDracheKokosnuss Sun 08-May-16 19:49:44

I had anterior placenta too - didn't feel anything until about 28 weeks and even then only if Dd wad very very active. When the placenta came out though,it looked likr an inch thick cushion, so they said it was not surprise that I mostly couldn't feel anything. I remember in a scan at around 22 weeks we could even see her kick, but I felt absolutely nothing.

So to summarise- it's normal.

Figgygal Sun 08-May-16 19:49:46

I think I just underestimated how reassuring it is to feel "something" roll on Thursday!!

mrsb26 Sun 08-May-16 20:07:44

Another anterior placenta here, didn't feel a thing until a tiny flutter or two at 19 weeks and then more definite movement at around 23 weeks. Fear not! Always better to be over cautious though - call midwife if you're worried. I used to have mornings where I'd
lie on the sofa guzzling ice cold water as I hadn't felt baby move - was enough to get her to wiggle though!

mrsmugoo Sun 08-May-16 22:49:53

Yes! Felt my first at 16 or 17 weeks but this time I've got an anterior placenta and did t really feel anything until 23/24 weeks.

Am 36 weeks now and getting booted in the ribs all day and night!

melonribena Wed 11-May-16 22:33:07

Hi op!
Just wanted to share my experience as it sounds so similar to you.
I'm 20 weeks today and had my scan today. I'd been worrying about lack of movement too. I've got an anterior placenta too and everything was fine on the scan!
Good luck tomorrow

mandymushroom Wed 11-May-16 22:44:18

I'm at 18 weeks now and hoping to feel movements but not sure if I am. I've had the nhs scan at 13 weeks and paid for an extra private one at 16 weeks. I am having trouble getting hold of my midwife though as I'd like to see if she can hear a heartbeat and wonder when the next regular meeting with her is- I can't stop worrying all the time.

Weezie85 Thu 12-May-16 09:15:46

My first was the same. Rarely could feel her until after 26 weeks. Current pregnancy been feeling kicks from 16 weeks. I was so surprised, but midwife said it was due to where placenta was.

Figgygal Thu 12-May-16 10:34:56

Scan at midday god this is so nerve wracking

melonribena Thu 12-May-16 17:12:49

How'd you get on figgy?

CoccoPopps Sun 15-May-16 15:46:10

Hi OP, I have an anterior placenta as well, didn't feel movement properly until about 22 weeks and then was only on one side and little flutters! I'm now almost 32 weeks and i would say only just started feeling hefty kicks in the last couple of weeks but now so strong i can feel them all over. I've done my fair share of drinking iced drinks and lying down for an hour after i get home from work just to make sure hes doing ok. I went in for reduced movements at 23 weeks as hadn't felt anything for a day or so and had a scan and he was wriggling away but i couldn't feel it, the midwives were fantastic, said they weren't bothered how many times i contacted them if worried its what they are there for, so try the ice cold drink then give unit a call if it doesn't work but fingers crossed little one is fine and dandy. good luck xx

Figgygal Tue 17-May-16 08:57:22

Hi sorry been away a few days or weekend......yup placenta still anterior so little man can't make his presence felt just yet. Need to chill out about lack of feeling!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now