Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

38 weeks and swelling

(9 Posts)
JustMeAndHim Sun 08-May-16 14:05:18

Hi,

I'm 38 weeks currently. For the past few weeks I've been getting swelling of my feet/ankles, fingers and face. I'm pretty sure it's been water retention. Anyway today my right foot/ankle is really severely swollen. The left is swollen too but not as badly.

My main concern is that I had a mw apt on Friday and when I first had my bp taken it was 120/82. She felt this was quite high as my bp started at 110/56 at booking. I know it is expected to rise but this is quite a jump. She measured it again after and it was 110/75 which she was happier with and said nothing else. This is the second time that this has happened, at my previous apt it was 110/92 to start and then fine when re-taken 5 mins later.

To add to this my fundal measurement has decreased by 1.5cm this week. She put this down to baby dropping and said she wouldn't arrange a scan as baby would be too big to measure now and they would only look at the amniotic fluid which she could feel was fine.

So my question is, am I being a paranoid ftm or would you call the unit? The care I've received up until now has been great so this makes me think I'm being over cautious crazy

Thanks

alliemay Sun 08-May-16 14:10:13

Have you had any headaches or flashing lights?
I'd call the maternity unit instead of you worrying. They'll probably just put you on the monitor for a bit and take readings every so often - means you get to put your feet up too!
Hope you get on okay x

Afreshstartplease Sun 08-May-16 14:12:21

I'd get checked out

FaFoutis Sun 08-May-16 14:20:04

I'd go in and get checked now. You probably need a urine test.

peasofcake Sun 08-May-16 14:47:49

I had HBP in pregnancy and those readings are higher for you but not 'High' medically, you could be swelling up more because of the heat too. Always a good idea to get checked out if you are worried. If the MW had concerns on Friday she would have packed you off to hospital to sit on a monitor. Is your next MW appt 40 weeks. I would 100% call your MW tomorrow and ask to get checked at some point in clinic this week. If they can't fit you in see GP. I saw a GP or MW every week for the last 8wks or so as I had borderline high BP all the time!! The most reassuring thing I can tell you is that when I arrived at birth unit in labour my BP was normal so could have a water birth with minimal intervention which I though had gone out the window due to BP. You've not long to wait to meet you baby now, good luck with delivery & your lovely newborn smile

JustMeAndHim Sun 08-May-16 15:59:29

Thank you so much for your replies! I rang our mw triage dept who said to monitor the swelling but they wouldn't be concerned with the bp unless there were headaches and blurred vision! I think the heat is probably not assisting the situation.

Thank you Peas, little guy can't come soon enough! I'm glad you got the delivery you were hoping for smile

oolaroola Sun 08-May-16 17:14:54

Did they take a urine test at this appt?
I had PE and I didn't have headaches or flashing lights, but they diagnosed mine from the high bp and protein in my urine. Think you need both to be considered having PE.
Good luck.

FaFoutis Sun 08-May-16 17:45:18

I had PE without headaches or flashing lights too. Swelling needs a urine test.

JustMeAndHim Sun 08-May-16 19:37:38

Yes they did a urine test on Friday which was negative. She did say on the phone that my bp is classed as within normal range but I will keep an eye on the swelling and call again if it gets worse

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now