Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Expecting in Oxford anyone?

(37 Posts)
plasmon Fri 12-Jan-07 22:48:50

Are you pregnant and live in the Oxford area?
I'm new around here and would like to know what's available, can you help?

LiegeAndLief Sat 13-Sep-08 21:23:21

Unfortunately the JR has stopped doing tours of the maternity unit, they now only have a "video tour" - don't know what this involves!

I had ds at the JR 2 years ago. Spent 4 weeks on level 6 in the high risk pg unit and all the mws were lovely, sometimes overworked but always friendly and helpful. It was very clean apart from the bathroom on the recovery ward (spent one night there after cs) which was covered in blood - only used that once though! Oh and the toilets in the reception area in the entrance to the Women's centre were always pretty grotty too.

Have several friends who gave birth at Wallingford and thought it was wonderful. have never heard a bad word about it.

2catsand1rabbit Sun 14-Sep-08 08:04:10

Hi, I'm 30 wks and live in Wallingford. I've chosen Wallingford to give birth (midwife run unit.) However, the JR has a brand new Midwife run unit called 'Spires'. Apparently it's fab. They have a birthing pool and sensory room. As it's within the hospital, if you have any problems they can easily transfer you to a doctor.

I've heard that the Spires is the business too, only opened two weeks ago I think and it's on Level 7 of the hospital so should you need any interventions you will be wheeled downstairs instead of needing an ambulance transfer. I was hoping to use it, but I'm now 40+10 and booked for an induction on Thurs, so it looks like I won't be able to, but if I manage to get myself a baby before my induction I shall report back!

LazyDaisySue Mon 04-Jun-12 19:45:11

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

fitandhealthy Sat 19-Jan-13 20:36:37

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

InPraiseofOldHouses Sun 20-Jan-13 01:37:09

I got excited when I saw this but have just noticed the thread is from years ago! So...anyone here currently living in Oxford? I've heard really good things about Donnington Doorstep, though I'm pregnant with my first and haven't been there yet.

Clca Sun 20-Jan-13 09:29:53

I am InPraise!! I'm pregnant with my first too. What is donnington doorsteps?

When are you due?

june2013 Sun 20-Jan-13 13:16:41

Hi InPraise and Clca - I'm also in Oxford, there is a local thread though it's not as active as this one: http://local.mumsnet.com/Talk/local_oxford

Are you giving birth at the JR? Have you been invited to research project with tons of extra scans? How's it been?

YokoUhOh Sun 20-Jan-13 13:22:07

I did the research study at the JR: they told me DS would be 9lbs, he was 6lbs 7oz. Take it with a pinch of salt and enjoy the extra pictures!

ZuleikaD Sun 20-Jan-13 14:05:27

I'm 32 weeks with no 3. Had both the previous two at the Spires (the midwife-led unit up on the top floor of the JR) and can thoroughly recommend! Had quite tough labours both times (first two both back-to-back, am grimly expecting the same with this one) but the midwives there are awesome.

Donnington Doorstep is a drop-in place to take babies and toddlers to play. It's not free like the Children's Centres but I've also heard good things about it - it's just a bit too far for me to schlep with a pushchair.

InPraiseofOldHouses Sun 20-Jan-13 19:21:23

Hello! I'm 36 weeks and am planning on giving birth in the JR. Thanks for the heads up about the other Oxford thread, June, I'll have a look. Donnington doorstep does a babies and bump group (info here: http://www.donnington-doorstep.org/events.html ) but I've only just started looking into these things as I've started maternity leave.

Clca Sun 20-Jan-13 20:13:10

Hi Oxford ladies,

I've actually got my 12 week scan at the JR tomorrow!

Thanks for the donnington info- ill certainly look it up.

Where abouts are you guys living?

Yep I've been invited for a research study too .... The free scans are a lovely bonus, will hopefully ask them more tomorrow x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now