Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

what do I do?

(5 Posts)
sammyjayneex Sun 08-May-16 00:12:48

I'm 37 weeks pregnant with my 5th child. I've been having frequent painless tightenings for 2-3 days. I've seen midwife and baby was 3/5 engaged. Increased bowl movements and lots of pressure. Anyway tonight my tightenings have continued. No pain as of yet with these tightenings. ( although I've had shooting pains down below last few weeks)
Now tonight my husband is in a night shift. He can't just leave work, he has to call on call for them to find a replacement to do his shift for tonight and could take ages to come out so what do I do if I go into labour. I have 4 kids and he has to wait till someone comes out. I'm scared. I don't know if these will progress tonight but I'm scared of giving birth at home with him at work?
As part of his work contract he's contracted to do one night shift a week at least and then the rest are different times and days ect so he can't avoid it. He did ask his manger if he could stop doing night shifts the last few weeks so he's at home in case anything happens but nothing hit sorted out as of yet. Can someone ease my fears? I'm scared I won't get him here on time and I will not get to the hospital!

MattDillonsPants Sun 08-May-16 07:14:38

Have you got anyone else on standby?

sammyjayneex Mon 09-May-16 00:06:52

DH is here with me tonight. I have my mum as backup but my husband will have to pick her up in the car because She doesn't drive. I've been having tightenings all day today and now In the last hour I feel them more in my back and have lots of pressure. I don't know what to do. It's my 5th baby and have no idea what to do. I have rang L&D and they've said its up to me if I come in and of nothing much is happening they'll send me home but because I'm feeling them more in my back. I'm sure something is happening. I just want to know really coz I need to know what's happening to prepare to moe arrangements for my children. They are not excruciating but they are tight in my back but then I will feel stupid going in if not much is happening. How many centre metres do you have to be for them to let you stay in the hospital?
Is This deffo labour? I've had tightenings for 4 days now.

AnotherStitchInTime Mon 09-May-16 00:27:26

Can't your mum get a taxi? Any friends/good neighbours you can call on to watch children if needed?

Phone your husband now, allow him to get an alternative in place ASAP.

How old is your eldest child? Can you wake them up if things start happening to phone for help?

Baby number 5 could make a swift appearance. Be ready to phone for an ambulance if necessary.

Feelingsolow12345 Mon 09-May-16 05:32:13

Oh hun I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. I don't want to worry you but when I was in labour mine was all in my back, nothing at the front. the mu went I'm not in labour and sent me home (I was 2cm dilated) I said I am in labour so I'll see you in 2 hours. 3 hours later I was back and 6cm dilated and a bed filled with my water's xD

I agree with pp. why can't your mum get a taxi? and have an ambulance on speed dial ready.

hope you see your little one soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now