Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

23 weeks and irregular heartbeat?

(3 Posts)
charlottexox Mon 02-May-16 22:00:04

I am currently 23 weeks pregnant, and at 21 weeks pregnant I decided to listen to my baby's heartbeat on my ''angel sounds doppler'' for fun, up until this point, baby's heartbeat sounded perfectly fine and my 20 week scan went great!
Although, when I listened to the heartbeat at 21 weeks, it sounded irregular, like there were beats missing! It being my first pregnancy, really panicked and called the on-call-midwife, who told me to go up to the hospital, so that they could have a listen to it. I was in the room in floods of tears, worried as anything when she noticed the heartbeat was irregular also. She told me to come back in 72 hours times so they could check again, which I did - this time it was completely normal again! She couldn't pinpoint why it would sound like that, so couldn't really give me much of an answer apart from that maybe the baby was holding onto the umbilical cord (although I thought the cord was really thick and strong, so it's not like they could squeeze the hell out of it for the blood flow to go weird, unless they're the worlds strongest baby, right? lol)

Stupidly, I done the same thing tonight, and baby's HB sounds irregular again! I just don't want to go back to the hospital because one of the MW's there last time, told me I'm silly for listening to it myself, I understand that's true - but it brings comfort to me to hear it.
I don't treat tea or coffee, do eat the occasional chocolate bar, so was thinking maybe it's caffeine?
I'm also taking antidepressants throughout my pregnancy, which was recommended by my GP and a psychiatrist, so could it be my medication? I feel baby kicking and thrashing about in there regularly, but was wondering if anyone else has gone through this with their baby's? Hoping it will sound normal again soon!

siddis Tue 03-May-16 08:30:42

In my previous pregnancy, my DS had an arrhythmia which was picked up at the 20 week scan. The consultant we spoke to afterwards reassured us that it wasn't that uncommon and normally rectified itself by the time baby was due. This was the case with our son.

In this pregnancy (currently 15 weeks) we regularly listen to the baby's heartbeat as I had a MMC last year and it gives me reassurance. Sometimes the heartbeat is faster, I think it depends on what I've been doing and what I've eaten. It can also sound a bit irregular, but I think this has to do with the position of the Doppler and what baby is up to. As he/she moves about I think it makes the heartbeat sound irregular.

Try not to worry too much, it might be worth putting down the Doppler for a few days and instead just making sure baby is moving as normal. I do understand what an anxious time this is though!

puzzledleopard Tue 03-May-16 11:48:43

Are you 100% sure it your baby's heart you are listening to? and you're not catching placenta or abdominal artery or even one of the uterine arteries ie your own pulse or blood flow? Doppler is not selective, it will pick up whatever it gets the strongest signal. When finding a fetal heartbeat, there is no way to know whether the baby is well or in distress thats why it's best to leave it to people with experience and medical professionals.

Please be careful, I would focus on making sure you monitor the movements. If you have reduced movements or anything you are not sure about contact your midwife.
Please don't rely on a doppler to put your mind at rest sometimes they can give a false sense of security and can delay women from seeking medical attention when contacting a midwife would be a safer option.

Maybe you should stop using the doppler as it's having an adverse effect because you say it brings you comfort but it's really not at the moment, it's causing you stress which isn't good for you and/or the baby. You say I just don't want to go back to the hospital because one of the MW's there last time, told me I'm silly for listening to it myself If using it is going to put you off talking to health professionals because of what was said about using it then I think it's best for your own sanity not to use it again.

There is nothing wrong with using it just to listen and for fun but using them for reassurance is dangerous and you should seek reassurance from health professionals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now