Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any tips for getting through labour?

(10 Posts)
Happydays2000 Mon 02-May-16 09:47:26

I'm 34 wks with ds2 and just starting to feel nervous about getting through labour. Ds1 was relatively straightforward with no pain relief so hopefully will have similar experience this time. Just having a few memories of the pain and wondered if anyone had any useful strategies?

Squaffle Mon 02-May-16 10:56:43

Best advice I was given was to rest between contractions and not worry about the next one coming. DD was born after a 5 hour labour with no time for pain relief so that was easier said than done, but I did find it incredibly useful, particularly once I got in the water. Would highly recommend a water labour/birth of that's an option for you.

Good luck smile x

GretchenBeckett Mon 02-May-16 11:00:35

Drugs

Scoopmuckdizzy Mon 02-May-16 11:15:43

Similar to what Squaffle says- just concentrate on the contraction you're on and not panic about the next one. Try to go with it as much as you can and remember that it will pass.

Afreshstartplease Mon 02-May-16 11:17:14

If you need drugs get drugs there's no shame in it

annandale Mon 02-May-16 11:21:49

You've done this before, you can do it again.

Tell the midwife the kind of support you need before things get exciting, e.g. my midwife retired to the corner and kept an eye on me in silence, probably many women's ideal but I really wanted someone to hold my hand and tell me it was normal, cheerlead me etc.

hownottofuckup Mon 02-May-16 11:24:40

Breathing through the contractions really helped until I could get my hands on the gas and air.

lcoc2015 Mon 02-May-16 11:27:22

I found breathing in for 4 and out for the count of 4 really helped. My dh did the counting and it gave me something to focus on. 3 of those and you're through the peak of the contraction

Junosmum Mon 02-May-16 12:08:57

Sugary drinks for energy.

Happydays2000 Mon 02-May-16 13:45:11

Thanks for the advice, it's really helpful! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now