Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

bleeding... early pregnancy 5+6 weeks...

(18 Posts)
MummyTheGregor Sat 30-Apr-16 07:41:11

I'm bleeding a bit, since teatime last night, only when I wipe but light brown and a little bit heavier and darker this morning....
who do I contact to see about maybe seeing the epu and when - shall I wait a bit?
not sure what to do.....

Kitty1977 Sat 30-Apr-16 07:46:44

Hello. Fingers crossed it is nothing but always best to get checked. Maybe you could call either the out of hours tel number for your doctors or the nhs non emergency number. They should be able to get you seen. I had bad bleeding at 9wks with my Son but when they scanned they said it was outside the sac and babys heartbeat was there. It continued for a few weeks then went all was fine. They couldn't give me an explanation. Hope everythings ok x

lilydaisyrose Sat 30-Apr-16 07:48:08

Hello,

When this happened to me at 5+6, I googled the name of my nearest EPU and rang them for advice. They asked me on the phone if I had cramps/contractions feelings (yes, mildly) and if my symptoms had diminished (yes).

They wouldn't scan me as it was the weekend but also as I was so early. The advice was to take to bed/rest and wait it out. The bleeding got heavier and redder. On their advice, I took pg tests for weeks afterwards (which didn't go negative for over a fortnight) to check there was no hCG/pregnancy left.

I'm sorry mine wasn't a good outcome but pg again now and have passed that stage, so I'm quietly hopeful. Have you got someone with you for support?

IWILLgiveupsugar Sat 30-Apr-16 07:50:19

I would contact the hospital and see what they advise.

5-6 weeks is too early I think to pick up a heartbeat even with the internal scan device, so even if they did this they might not be able to reassure you at this stage. I would take things very easy, don't do anything strenuous and see what the hosp says.

Going back a few years I had an early external scan(was unsure of dates) and the person doing the ultrasound pushed so hard on my stomach trying to find a heartbeat that she caused a haematoma and I was on bed rest for half the pg and lucky I didn't lose ds. So if you have a scan internal is best in the early stage imo.

I hope everything is okay. It might just be spotting because it is brown and not bright red. Spotting happens in lots of pg and everything is fine.

Newmumma85 Sat 30-Apr-16 07:56:13

flowers hope you are ok. I bled roughly at 4,8 and 12 weeks. TMI but it was very watery and dark. Scanned at 8 weeks and baby was fine. Healthy baby boy now. Definitely isn't always a bad outcome

taraleigh86 Sat 30-Apr-16 08:16:04

Hi. I'm 9+4 and I'm into my 4th week of continuous bleeding.
I had a scan when it first started and it showed I had a small bleed on the outside of the sac. Babys heartbeat was shown to me and appeared healthy.
My bleed starts off red then after a few days it goes brown and black. Then it's starts off red again and does the same. I'm starting to clot now aswell but I've rang the hospital and they just keep telling me not to worry but it's really hard not to.

The good thing is that I can hear the heartbeat on the doppler, they told me they won't scan me over the weekend anyway so I just have to wait until Tuesday and get a referal from the doctor confused

I hope everything's OK for both yourself and me x

MummyTheGregor Sat 30-Apr-16 08:16:32

Thanks for the replies... DH here and ds2 making me smile....
I feel a bit odd... like I should wait for the inevitable - which is silly, I know the facts that its probs a bit early for a scan and that its common and might be ok... my best friend miscarried last year then had early bleeding with a subsequent pregnancy and I was all 'stay positive, you'll be ok' eyc etc but now I'm in the same shoes I've forgotten all the supposed good advice that I had and just feel a bit well nothing.... I also feel like calling Dr or EPU is making it real....
gah am a bit of a confused mess....

MummyTheGregor Sat 30-Apr-16 08:17:47

crossing fingers for you tara

lilydaisyrose Mon 02-May-16 21:22:21

How's thing MummyTheGregor and tara?

taraleigh86 Mon 02-May-16 21:44:57

Hi.thankyou so much. Still the same. We still have a healthy baby and we still have the bleed. Doc said I could bleed all the way through or my body will absorb it. He also said I'm most cases if you are going to miscarry it's more often in the first 7 weeks.
I know this isn't the case for some people though and they mis carry later on but It is a little reassurance for me.
It's probably my body telling me I need a rest now as this will be my 8th child in 9 years. My last baby was only born in January and my baby before that was born in march 2015 so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'll keep you updated.

taraleigh86 Mon 02-May-16 21:46:35

Thankyou hun. My are crossed for you aswell. I think sometimes we worry and panic too much xx

taraleigh86 Mon 02-May-16 21:46:50

Fingers**

lilydaisyrose Mon 02-May-16 21:48:28

Happy news tara, yay! Gosh, 7 children already!!

MummyTheGregor Tue 03-May-16 21:26:58

glad all is ok for you tara....
I've been to hospital for a scan, didn't show anything, Dr would have expected to see a sac or more given the dates.... got to do a test in a week and if its still positive go back for a scan but seems v unlikely....

IWILLgiveupsugar Tue 03-May-16 21:48:27

So sorry to hear that flowers

taraleigh86 Fri 06-May-16 07:09:42

❤❤❤

MummyTheGregor Wed 18-May-16 10:10:18

just a quick update.... Continued to test positive for following 2 weeks, epu scanned again on Monday and all well, it measured 8weeks and 2 days and had a strong heartbeat - so happy!

carly2015amari Wed 18-May-16 14:28:45

Hey just wanting peoples opinions please I'm about 6 weeks pregnant last Wednesday I started bleeding not much just when I wiped went to epu and had an internal scan Thursday every think seemed fine he said I was 5/6 weeks and there was a viable heartbeat which made me so happy but since having the internal scan and still today I'm bleeding more and its like a normal period got another scan on Tuesday the 24th is there still hope for my little peanut xx thank you in advance xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now