Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it ok to take pregnancy vitamins

(9 Posts)
Ashpan26 Thu 28-Apr-16 23:13:29

Hi I've just found out I am five weeks pregnant and was reading that you should take folic acid I have bought pregnancy vitamins from Tesco I won't see the doctor until next Wednesday will it be ok to take 1 daily? Also my boobs have been really sore is there anything that can ease the pain Thanks

ColdTeaAgain Thu 28-Apr-16 23:18:31

Folic acid especially start taking daily asap, don't need to wait to see GP.

Paracetamol is perfectly safe to take for the boob pain just make sure you stick to correct dosage but that's no different to any other time.

Congratulations 😀

Ashpan26 Thu 28-Apr-16 23:32:54

Thanks very much! I wasn't sure if they other vitamins are ok but I'm sure they will help and that's good to know about paracetamol they've been sore for weeks lol

Mummyme87 Fri 29-Apr-16 06:40:57

Important vitamins in pregnancy are folic acid until 12weeks to reduce neural tube defects and vitamin D

Junosmum Fri 29-Apr-16 09:27:51

Vitamins labelled as pregnancy vitamins don't contain vitamin a (vitamin a can be harmful to developing embryos and fetuses) so as long as yours are pregnancy vitamins you'll be fine to take them.

If the pregnancy vitamins don't contain 400mcg of folic acid you need to take that too asap.

seafoodeatit Fri 29-Apr-16 11:07:36

Ideally you would take prenatal vitamins for 3 months before conception so you will not be doing any harm by taking them, quite the opposite infact.

Pitchka Sat 30-Apr-16 21:07:53

I am taking vitamins as soon as positive test. Congratulations x

FuzzyOwl Sat 30-Apr-16 21:10:44

If you are ttc it is important to take folic acid for three months beforehand. Obviously not all pregnancies are planned, but this one is the important one to be taking asap and for the first 12 weeks. Vitamin d and often iron are also required during pregnancy.

Ashpan26 Sat 30-Apr-16 21:26:38

Thank you all its my first and wasn't planned so glad I joined this forum smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now