Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

BMI 30 - what does this mean for my pregnancy?

(18 Posts)
FattyMcFatBum Tue 26-Apr-16 10:59:07

I've got my booking in appointment today and I was hopeful that my BMI would come in to the high 20s. I've just weighed myself and its extremely borderline (29.5) so I'm bracing myself for it being 30 today at the appointment.

Will the midwife actually weigh and measure me or will she go by what I tell her?
What will it mean for my care if I am 'obese' rather than just 'overweight'?

(Fully aware I should have just lost the weight before I got pregnant, but I didn't, so now I am where I am)

seafoodeatit Tue 26-Apr-16 11:52:07

Not a lot will happen, extra monitoring and risk don't come into effect unless your bmi is over 35 but they may offer healthy eating advice if you ask for it.

MetalMidget Tue 26-Apr-16 12:02:57

Obviously being a lower weight would be ideal, but being just over BMI 30 isn't a massive worry. I'm in a similar boat - I'm classed as obese*, but it's not caused any issues so far (currently at 27 weeks), and the midwives don't seem overly concerned.

I think the main issues will be the risk of diabetes, so you'll probably have a glucose test at 28 weeks, and you may also be given an additional growth scan around the same time, and asked if you want to see the anaesthetist (as higher BMI can require a bit of forethought about dosage for epidurals, etc). If you don't exercise, there may be some concerns about blood pressure too.

* In put on loads of weight whilst ttc over two years due to undiagnosed thyroid issues and PCOS - was given medication and dropped a stone in two months, then fell pregnant! I'm reasonably fit though - low blood pressure, low resting heart rate, can bike off-road for hours, etc, just a wee bit on the chunky side!

JulieBolton79 Tue 26-Apr-16 12:04:27

I was exactly the same with a BMI of 29.5 and midwife took that as my weight rather than making me go in the obese category. The guide for Weight gain for overweight is 15-25lb and 11-20 for obese. I just aimed for the lower targets of overweight or upper of obese at a 20lb gain. So far I've gained 15.5lbs at 34wks which I'm happy with. The Normal range is 25-35lb which I wanted to avoid as I knew I could easily gain that but afterwards still have a fair bit of it left over! I'd def be in the obese category then. I'm hoping with a 20lb gain the post preg weight won't be that far off my start weight and I can continue to lose after baby is born.

Primaryteach87 Tue 26-Apr-16 12:04:44

They do measure and weigh you at the clinic but they shouldn't make you feel bad, just provide the best relevant healthcare for you.

Kitkatmonster Tue 26-Apr-16 12:05:42

My BMI 32 @ booking, was offered healthy eating support, someone to come and 'weigh me and talk about diet' I declined as I'm perfectly capable of monitoring myself. Offered GTT as well, but I've declined this for now, unless I become symptomatic. Otherwise nothing different. I'm still low risk, mw led.

AnUtterIdiot Tue 26-Apr-16 12:08:50

I wouldn't worry about it, OP, I think they only worry about BMI if it's over 35. Mine's 39 and my midwife didn't try to shame me at all smile.

AKP79 Tue 26-Apr-16 12:13:28

I've been really worrying about this too... first MW appointment tomorrow. With my first (4 years ago) I was in the healthy weight range, I haven't lost my baby weight and put on loads more due to comfort eating during a bad few years with lots of life hurdles. Now my BMI is 31!

So comforted to read some of these replies. OP - I'm doing Slimming World at the moment, which you can do safely throughout your pregnancy. I'm worried about gaining as much as I did with DD1. Just thought that may be of interest?

FattyMcFatBum Tue 26-Apr-16 13:23:50

Thank you everyone, I'll just see how it goes. Fingers crossed I will creep in under the 30.
AKP Slimming world is an excellent healthy eating plan - I will try to follow its principles.

PinkParsnips Tue 26-Apr-16 13:25:46

Mine was 30.1 and my midwife didn't say much. I was only referred for a diabetes test due to PCOS not my Bmi.

Marmalade85 Tue 26-Apr-16 13:31:42

Due to my weight I was offered diet advice, tested for gestational diabetes (which I didn't have), was not allowed to use the birth centre as they have weight restrictions and ended up having a c section due to having a large baby which can be caused by being overweight. I think my BMI was 34.

makingmiracles Tue 26-Apr-16 13:38:46

I wouldn't worry too much tbh. Most don't exclude you from midwife led care/birth centre until Bmi of 35, I just squeezed in under this time at 34.5!
In terms of weight gain I personally poo poo the whole"you should only gain X amount if X amount overweight etc,. Unless you start eating really unhealthily or drastically changing your eating habits I would continue as you are and try not to worry too much. In all of my pregnancies I've put on almost 3st and with the last baby I was 2lb under my pre pregnancy weight just 4days after the birth, which makes me fairly certain all that weight gain was water retention, baby, placenta, amniotic fluid and extra blood rather than body fat.

makingmiracles Tue 26-Apr-16 13:40:11

Oh and all 4 so far were all around the 9lb mark, with the first one I wasn't even overweight, although with the other three I was, a little more so each time.

Buglife Tue 26-Apr-16 13:48:30

Absolutely nothing happened, my BMI was 30 but I was under midwife care, didn't get a GTT and was having a water birth in the Midwife led Unit (well was in there for a few hours until I needed a ventouse!) my blood pressure was spot on perfect all the way through the pregnancy and I had a 7lb 6oz baby. I didn't put on a lot of weight during pregnancy either (a lot of sickness!) so really it can make no difference at all.

ThinkPinkStink Tue 26-Apr-16 14:06:25

Really don't worry!

My BMI was just over 32 at conception.

So far the doctors, sonographer and midwives I've seen have been (without exception) wonderful, supportive and caring - no one has suggested losing weight. One midwife even joked that "where I'm from, you're so skinny you look sick" (I'm a size 16) which took the tension out of being weighed in front of people.

I'm now 16.5 weeks pregnant and I've put on around half a stone - though looking at me, it appears it's mostly bloating and water as I don't feel heavier anywhere other than around my stomach.

Due to my BMI + age (late 30s) I had a few more blood tests than usual, however everything has been returned as 'normal' or 'better than average vs. age and weight' and the birth is still considered 'low risk'.

SaraC8 Tue 26-Apr-16 17:21:05

I was given a higher dose of folic acid to take, and referred to a consultant. She has seen me and is happy for me to go back to midwife led care, I'm having a GTT done later, but apart from that everything seems fine, blood pressure etc is good. I was mortified when I had to be referred but I now know it's quite common smile

DefinitelyNotElsa Tue 26-Apr-16 18:43:17

I had a BMI of 32 at my booking appt. Very little was done about it - I was offered a GTT, but remained under midwife led care and was booked in to give birth at the Midwife Led Unit. I wasn't weighed at any other appointment.

Uptownfuckuup Tue 26-Apr-16 18:48:43

you may have to have injections after birth for 6 days think its called clexene they are blood thinners. two of my friends had to have them due to being overweight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now