Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When is too early to shop?

(46 Posts)
Kj6308 Mon 25-Apr-16 13:06:07

Im nearly 5 weeks and already so tempted to shop! Want to but unisex vests etc. And thinking of starting a basket of shampoo, wipes & things like that? Going to be moving house and going on holiday whilst pregnant so dont want to start too late and if anything were to happen id still be ttc again so could keep items? Wont be purchasing any big items yet though!

leoniethelioness Mon 25-Apr-16 13:08:02

I'm waiting until after my 20 week scan

Kj6308 Mon 25-Apr-16 13:09:30

I know that's sensible but the temptation is too much!

RiverTam Mon 25-Apr-16 13:12:55

Well, I had 5 MCs prior to being pregnant with DD so I didn't buy anything until I hit 6 months. In general I think the 20 week scan is sensible.

MyKingdomForBrie Mon 25-Apr-16 13:16:01

Haven't bought a single thing except stretch mark cream! We were planning to wait til 20wk scan but might leave it even longer, hoping to move house soon and don't want to have to move extra things.

I really would try and resist the urge for now, but I suppose that's just me, it's entirely up to you really!

wonderstuff Mon 25-Apr-16 13:19:10

It's early days, don't rush.
I wrote lists and did window shopping in the first trimester.

LetThereBeCupcakes Mon 25-Apr-16 13:21:49

I bought the travel system when I was 7 weeks with DS blush. In my defence it was REALLY reduced.

The trouble with starting too early is you end up with FAR too much stuff by the time baby arrives! <bitter experience >

Dowhatyoulove123 Mon 25-Apr-16 13:26:08

I would say after 12 weeks if you have had a scan and know everything is okay. Between 12-20 weeks me and Hubby picked up some great bargains second hand. I'm 26 weeks now and I've decided to start buying things like bigger size nappies and wipes every week with our weekly shopping, I'm hoping it'll help to spread out the costs a bit.

TheCrumpettyTree Mon 25-Apr-16 13:28:00

I wouldn't, it's far too early. Stuff is always on offer and you can pick up vests etc in the supermarket. I moved when I was 34 weeks and had a toddler and didn't buy anything until my 20 week scan!

TheCrumpettyTree Mon 25-Apr-16 13:28:22

Oh and the more you buy, the more you'll have to move!

Dixiechick17 Mon 25-Apr-16 13:29:53

I started buying a few bits at around 18 weeks, as had had an early scan to find out the sex, and so my parents could come to a scan, then carried on after the 20 week scan smile I agree that when starting early it's easy to get carried away, some stuff didn't get used....

LittleLionMansMummy Mon 25-Apr-16 13:39:01

I'm waiting for my dating scan when I'll be around 13 weeks.

flowerpower10 Mon 25-Apr-16 13:47:46

I felt excited that I was finally pregnant after 8 years of trying so I did buy a white hat at 6 weeks after a early scan just in celebration and happiness
Just enjoy being happy I know some people get bad news or have terrible things happen but it's important to be in the moment and one or two little things will not brake the bank
smile

JulieBolton79 Mon 25-Apr-16 14:11:33

I was very tempted to go mad at the begging but the more you do the more stuff you have and may waste money. Also I'm 34wks now and have NOTHING to buy and don't know sex so there are only so many unisex items you can buy. I often joke I've got everything except a baby! So now I've got six weeks of nothing to do lol which is frustrating also.
What I decide to do was window shop like someone else said and make lists of things I liked with links and costs. It made me budget well and when I reached 16 weeks I bought a few small bits. I also bulk bought wipes nappies etc but you need to be careful with that as you may end up with loads of nappies you don't like or don't fit!
I let myself buy off my list after 20 weeks so I could spread the cost.
Enjoy the shopping but remember it's a long 9 months and what you get now leaves you with less to buy at the end when you're huge and fed up smile

JulieBolton79 Mon 25-Apr-16 14:11:41

I was very tempted to go mad at the begging but the more you do the more stuff you have and may waste money. Also I'm 34wks now and have NOTHING to buy and don't know sex so there are only so many unisex items you can buy. I often joke I've got everything except a baby! So now I've got six weeks of nothing to do lol which is frustrating also.
What I decide to do was window shop like someone else said and make lists of things I liked with links and costs. It made me budget well and when I reached 16 weeks I bought a few small bits. I also bulk bought wipes nappies etc but you need to be careful with that as you may end up with loads of nappies you don't like or don't fit!
I let myself buy off my list after 20 weeks so I could spread the cost.
Enjoy the shopping but remember it's a long 9 months and what you get now leaves you with less to buy at the end when you're huge and fed up smile

Dlah Mon 25-Apr-16 14:17:01

The day the test came through positive my partner wasn't due back until early hours and I wanted to shout it from roof tops, I went out and got a teeny little newborn hat, just as a little something from me to the bean! I haven't got anything since, although oh's mum has started knitting and we have 5 outfits already lol
We went to Babies R us and Mothercare a few weeks ago to get an idea of prices, thinking they'd be top end and then we could shop around but know as a max what we needed to save - I felt much better having done this, so shall now refrain until 20 weeks plus to start actually buying smile

malvinandhobbes Mon 25-Apr-16 14:19:18

I understand the urge. I started an Amazon Baby List. This way I could spend hours looking at things I wanted to buy, and then when I decided what I wanted, I'd add i to the wish list. The wish list is just of me - but it has allowed me to browse about when I am in the mood, feel organised that I am making some progress to readiness, but I am not yet committed to too much stuff.

We have also been given a lot- and if you buy too soon you may buy things that you don't need to pay for for.

lorribaby Mon 25-Apr-16 15:00:04

Go on smileits your money and your pregnancy! Buy what you like when you like. Enjoy and happy shopping x

Kj6308 Mon 25-Apr-16 15:14:24

Thankyou ladies:-) X

Kj6308 Mon 25-Apr-16 15:15:27

Also love the idea of the amazon wish list & buying just a little something like that hat to keep me going haha! X

Chattycat78 Mon 25-Apr-16 15:19:10

Sorry to be a downer but I'm afraid I agree with the majority. I really wouldn't until at least 20 week scan. If something happened you would have to look at the stuff or take it back. Even if you started ttc again there is no guarantee of how long it would take to get pregnant again. Of course hopefully this wouldn't happen but that was the angle/view I certainly took. I'm 30 weeks now with dc2 and all I have bought is one baby grow.....then again I'm mega cautious....smile

JillyCooper2015 Mon 25-Apr-16 15:48:18

When OH and I decided we (well, he, I knew and he had to go through a VR to get everything up and running) wanted a family of our own we were away on an annual holiday with friends, I saw the cutest crochet rabbit which I bought and said to him if I ever got pregnant then I would put it in pride of place in the nursery and if we gave up, it would be gifted.

We actually got pregnant this year on the annual trip with our friends - so, even sweeter that bunny is out on the chest of drawers in the nursery.

I was also in Thailand at Xmas and sneaked a couple of pairs of toddler hippy pants home - again with a view that if we didn't have a baby, they make good gifts... ditto a few cute books...

LilyTP Mon 25-Apr-16 15:54:42

I'm 16.5 weeks and have bought one big ticket item (bedroom furniture set) but nothing else. I bought the furniture because there was a good sale at Mamas and Papas which meant it was less than half price.

I'm waiting until after 20 weeks for everything else (though it is really tempting).

I've made a Pinterest board of nice baby things, which is good for getting excited - without getting too carried away too soon.

mrsdoughnut Mon 25-Apr-16 16:57:21

I waited until after 12 week scan. But I did do the wish list and started a spreadsheet. Lol plus I changed my mind about 30 times on cots and prams and bottles and sterilisers... xxx

JillyCooper2015 Mon 25-Apr-16 18:26:04

My mama bird tshirt arrived today - very exciting ! But it's come up very small so will fit me now for a few weeks, I wanted it for late into the pregnancy really.... Still cute tho!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now