Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does morning sickness get worse?

(19 Posts)
AnUtterIdiot Fri 22-Apr-16 16:00:22

I'm at 7.5 weeks and feeling nauseous but not actually being sick. I've been this way for the last couple of weeks and it hasn't visibly got worse or better. Does morning sickness get worse as you go on? Do most people start out feeling a bit nauseous and then progress to actually being sick? I've no idea what to expect but my mother had very bad morning sickness and so I've always expected/dreaded that I would get it too...

KP86 Fri 22-Apr-16 16:16:26

I felt like I was permanently hungover from about 7-10 weeks (seemed like longer!). I only vomited twice, and both times because my pants were cutting into my belly and I bent over the sink to rinse after teeth brushing or something.

Some other people are vomiting constantly for months.

It's really individual.

LittleLionMansMummy Fri 22-Apr-16 16:20:57

Never been sick just nauseous and not every day - some days worse than others and also might start the day feeling fine but finish it feeling icky. 9+4 now and mostly ravenous for food, seems like the nausea has been replaced by hunger! Didn't get it at all with my first pregnancy.

Marshpillow Fri 22-Apr-16 16:32:01

Mine peaked at 9 weeks with my first. Currently 9+3 with DC2 and it's been pretty bad the last few days so I'm hoping it goes soon!

Bejeena Fri 22-Apr-16 16:53:18

Permanently hungover is a very good way to describe my first pregnancy as well, it went on until 14 weeks. However once it started it didn't get worse as such I was just constantly nauseous. Second and third pregnancies not been as bad.

fitzbilly Fri 22-Apr-16 16:58:10

Mine gradullay got better, was at it's worst at six weeks and by nine weeks had gone.

Wasn't actually sick very often, just a constant feeling of nausea.

NotSleepyAtAll Fri 22-Apr-16 17:02:53

1st pregnancy - nauseous for first 10 weeks then sick 2-3 times a week between 10 and 16 weeks.

Current pregnancy - nauseous but less than last preg for 9 weeks, sick once. I'm not sure what will happen next! I'm hoping not a repeat of last time !

AnUtterIdiot Fri 22-Apr-16 17:22:49

Oh OK, that's generally encouraging - thank you smile

limeandsoda93 Fri 22-Apr-16 19:41:40

For me, yes it did sad from 6 weeks I felt a bit 'off' and my stomach felt unsettled. At 8/9 weeks I was sick every day til it eased up at 14 weeks and eventually disappeared at 16 weeks. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear. X

lavenderdoilly Fri 22-Apr-16 19:50:36

Make sure you are not trying to be a superhero. If you start regular vomiting you could end up dehydrated. Speak to your gp. As pp have said it's a very individual thing. It can be rubbish and it can be very very very rubbish. I had hyperemesis. And it ain't just in the morning. Try and make sure to have regular sips of water. If you can't keep even that down, speak to a GP. Best of luck.

malin100 Fri 22-Apr-16 19:55:35

Mine started about 7.5 weeks as nausea then turned into vomiting several times a day (not sure when that started, maybe 9 weeks) until about 16 weeks. I'm now 18 weeks and for the past two weeks I've only thrown up a few times a week. Still off some foods but not constantly feeling sick. So it can change, but it's different for everyone!

missybct Fri 22-Apr-16 19:58:08

Know your triggers - mine were tiredness, hunger and dehydration. If I had any of those three, I would guarantee to feel sick. I was always worse in the evenings too, so all this stuff about morning sickness made me laugh as I was truly fine until about 2pm grin

I was more or less constantly nauseous during week 7 and 8, it tailed off in 9 and I had a hideous few days in week 10 (truly felt much worse), 11 and one day in 12 where I couldn't move without wanting to hurl.

By week 13 it had eased off significantly. I'm now 17+2 and have the odd moments of feeling "gaggy" but it's usually if I'm super tired, hungry or over eaten. I was never actually sick sick, I retched a bit and the constant nausea was really debilitating as I couldn't move much, but I think I was very lucky in a lot of ways during that period.

My Mum wasn't sick with me (first born) but was sick with my brother, and like other posters have said, each pregnancy/person is so so different. No two pregnancies are the same, even if they are both yours!

Congratulations and look after yourself flowers

waxweasel Fri 22-Apr-16 19:58:39

I was sick until quite late both times - 34 weeks with DD1 and 24 weeks this time. Mainly just really bad nausea, with the occasional vomiting. Both times it was worst in the early weeks 6-9...this time round I got really despondent in week 7 when I could barely move for feeling sick, and remember complaining to DH 'how am I going to cope if I feel this sick already?' and he reminded me that first time round I'd been at my absolute worst at the beginning and then had got slowly better. So there is hope smile

positivity123 Fri 22-Apr-16 19:59:06

I had felt sick from weeks 6 to 12 but found weeks 9 and 11 bad so it comes and goes. It was so much worse when I was tired so i trier to get some fresh air during the day as I found that a 20 mins walk really helped then get a good night sleep.
Also thinking about food made me ill so I just had easy stuff on toast, chips and pasta for dinners and that helped

KP86 Fri 22-Apr-16 21:14:30

The smell of coffee made me want to vomit throughout my entire pregnancy. And I normally love the stuff.

Liss85 Sat 23-Apr-16 23:32:46

I found it got worse but I was never actually sick, just felt sick. I found eating little and often was the only relief for me.

LilyTP Sat 23-Apr-16 23:43:47

Like many pp I felt pretty awful from week 6 to week 13. I was never actually sick, though purely through bloody mindedness (I'd sit on the floor in the bathroom swallowing, shaking, teary eyed and breathing as deeply as I could to avoid it). I'm now 16.5 weeks and have felt actually well and healthy (if bloated and windy) for three weeks, it's been wonderful!!

I hope yours passes soon OP!

flowers

JasperDamerel Sat 23-Apr-16 23:46:30

Mine had around a week of mild nausea at around 6 weeks before the proper sickness kicked in. Pregnancy 1 I would have around 4-7 episodes of vomiting a day but feel moderately ok for a portion of the day. Pregnancy 2, I only vomited a couple of times a day but felt as though I had a really terrible hangover all the time.

YabuDabbaDoo Sun 24-Apr-16 00:03:24

I can remember the precise date that my constant morning sickness stopped... I woke up feeling both euphoric and worried that I'd forgotten something... Realised in the shower that it had gone, the swirling, hurling, dry heaving was over at 12 weeks and 3 days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now