Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Spots in pregnancy

(19 Posts)
gloopygloop Wed 20-Apr-16 19:07:44

Hi all

I am 17 weeks pregnant and my face is covered in spots.
Has anyone else had this and what did you do? Should I be looking at organic products? Does anyone have any recommendations please?

SushiAndTheBanshees Wed 20-Apr-16 19:11:08

I had them, and I picked at them! But actually, both they and the scars faded within weeks of delivery. You'd never know I'd had them.

It's a hormonal thing there's nothing you can apply topically that will change anything significantly.

Out of interest, do you know what you're having? I'm doing an informal old-wives-tale thing. I won't tell you what I ended up with in case you're keeping it a surprise.

Luna7993 Wed 20-Apr-16 19:17:12

I horrible sports all through my first pregnancy (spoiler: I had a girl!)
Whatever topical creams I used did nothing but exasperate it. In the end just a gentle soap and good quality moisturiser helped to clear it (I used Neutrogena). It went by the 3rd trimester
Not a single spot second pregnancy (boy!)

gloopygloop Wed 20-Apr-16 19:21:14

Thank you both for the replies, I don't know yet what we are having but I have a feeling that it's a boy, we are still trying to decide whether to find out. We had a boy last time and I don't remember any spots.

SushiAndTheBanshees Wed 20-Apr-16 19:25:40

Interesting. I shall add these to my spreadsheet 😀

Would you like to know what I had in my two pregnancies (first with spots, second not a single one)??

cheekstime Wed 20-Apr-16 21:07:15

Hi I had this....thought I was getting away with it then I got a load around the same time as you. After the batch went though I never got them back again, really do think it was the hormones because then it righted itself.

I stopped touching them but other than that just ate as well as I could and drank 8 glasses water a day. I used to eat a carrot a day, your body can make healthy version of vit A out of them. Still tryign to do that now.

Good luck x

bexh83 Wed 20-Apr-16 21:38:25

I have them badly (im 25wks) in the main on my back, a couple on my chest and next to nothing on my face which is unusual for me really.... so its not the worst thing in the world but so, so itchy.

I know its old fashioned but I had my OH put some calomine on last week - dried the spots a small amount, but reduced the itching at least!

SewSlapdash Wed 20-Apr-16 21:45:30

Me too. 19+6 and Sushi will be interested to know that I'm having my 20 week scan tomorrow and we will be finding out the sex if we can.

I'd be interested to know Sushi which was round it was (happy for you to pm me rather than give the game away. I had some spots in early pg last time. Nowhere near like this although I gave very dry skin normally so they're not horrendous, just bad by my standards.

SewSlapdash Wed 20-Apr-16 21:46:16

Mind you, it might also be down to the prodigious amounts of sugar I'm consuming hmm

Roarlikeadinosaur Wed 20-Apr-16 21:49:22

I got spots on my face, mostly just chin area during pregnancy. After having my little boy they have completely disappeared. Definitely just hormonal!!

gloopygloop Thu 21-Apr-16 08:28:54

I would like to know sushi!

I am going to try drinking lots of water and eating more fresh veg! I can't do any harm!

LadyFarnborough Thu 21-Apr-16 08:33:23

I'm really spotty and greasy too (12 weeks). I currently having matching ones on each side of my face, perfectly symmetrical. One of them has been there for 2 weeks, it's the gift that keeps on giving! Also get back spots too but was always prone to that due to PCOS. Being on the pill kept them at bay.
I am also interested in whether spots are linked to gender!

SpecialStains Thu 21-Apr-16 17:10:43

Hello, I'm 23weeks with a boy and in pregnancy have had bad acne like spots on my cheeks. I've used 2.5% benzoyl peroxide cream very sparingly (as with lots of things, its not tested on pregnant women so advice is not to use). It's the active medicine used in a lot of spot treatments/washes etc, but you can buy online. Dried my skin out like crazy, but my face no longer scares children.

I'd never had spots in my life before as I've been blessed with good skin, so was glad to get it sorted quickly. Depending on how bad it is, your gp might be able to recommend on prescription, in which case you could get it for free with you mat exemption card.

FuzzyOwl Thu 21-Apr-16 17:17:31

Loads of spots in my first pregnancy (as well as dry, flaky, horrible skin in general) = a girl

Just started loads of spots in this pregnant (12 weeks) although I did have a few early on. Will find out soon whether a boy or girl my money is on a girl

This might not help you OP but when my spots were particularly bad I wore clothes that made my pregnancy really obvious so people would be more understanding because no products seemed to touch any of the spots!

rubberducker Thu 21-Apr-16 20:19:04

Terrible spots is generally my first sign of pregnancy! I've got 2 boys and am 31 weeks with DS3, spotty with all of them!

FifiRebel Thu 21-Apr-16 20:19:29

I'm 26 weeks and expecting a boy. I had a breakout in v early stages and then awful spots all over my lower face from about 14-22 weeks. It has cleared up a bit but definitely not my usual complexion. Although spots have cleared up, skin has now gone really dry...

sad

SushiAndTheBanshees Fri 22-Apr-16 04:00:40

Oh dear, this thread has really thrown my stats out. Thus far, going purely oersonally and anecdotally, spots + hair loss = girl. Great skin + rearing libido = boy.

Don't know what to think now! grin

SewSlapdash Sun 24-Apr-16 11:04:06

Sushi I've had terrible skin and a runaway libido - and it's a girl grin

scrumptiouscrumpets Sun 24-Apr-16 20:54:41

Sushi
I had terrible skin in my first pregnancy and had a boy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now