Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anterior low placenta at 16w sexing scan

(17 Posts)
QueenMolotov Wed 20-Apr-16 17:36:16

I'm 18w pg with dc3 and I had a private sexing scan two weeks ago.

I've noticed that I can feel the baby's movements, but not as much as I would have expected. I remembered seeing the word 'anterior' on the report that came with the scan, so I've looked again today and it says (or at least was true 2 weeks ago) the site of the placenta is anterior low.

I had a VB with dd1 and an ELCS for dd2 and have stupidly googled and am now concerned that an anterior low placenta means I'm a candidate for placenta accreta and/or praevia.

I'm trying to put it out of my mind and wait for the outcome of the 20w scan. But, what's the likelihood of things changing? Am I being over-anxious?

primarynoodle Wed 20-Apr-16 17:42:00

Mine was posterior at 12 weeks, anterior low at 16 weeks and anterior high at 20w so don't worry! The likelihood is it will have grown out of the way by the time it becomes a problem

Quodlibet Wed 20-Apr-16 18:21:02

90% of placentas move up and out of the way as the womb grows. Mine was low at the 20wk scan, now at 27 weeks it has moved up and out of the way.

QueenMolotov Wed 20-Apr-16 19:14:35

Thanks both for your replies; lovely and reassuring x I'll try to put it to the back of my mind and see what is said in a couple of weeks at the 20w scan.

Zaurak Wed 20-Apr-16 20:26:03

90% move - well they don't move per se, the womb expands and carries them out of the way.
If it's still low at 20 weeks you'll be booked in for anothe scan later on. If it's still not moved by then you'll either be offered a section or a wait and see in another week or so.
I was one of the unlucky ones - mine didn't budge at all, and they also found foetal vessels over the cervix which can occur with a pp. it was fine, I was monitored, I had a section at 38 weeks. They had to go through the placenta but all was well. So even if it doesn't move, you'll be ok.

EsmesBees Wed 20-Apr-16 20:29:25

Very common. I had this and got an extra scan late on to check it had moved. Was lovely to see the baby again late in pregnancy

FraterculaArctica Wed 20-Apr-16 21:49:04

Watching with interest as I also had an anterior low placenta at the first scan. Now 18 weeks. I'm hoping it will at least move up but I guess it's likely to stick with being anterior, which doesn't make me happy - DC1 I had a very painful labour ending in crash CS, and I'm sure that some of the problems were related to DS being stuck in a strange sideways on position, linked with an anterior placenta that time too. Consultant and midwives have dismissed the notion that anterior placenta is related to problems in labour but I know a lot of women would say otherwise...

plumpynoo Wed 20-Apr-16 22:39:13

I was anterior low with my son, and couldn't feel movements until quite late on! It was fine, wasnt blocking cervix by the time i was term, so i had a normal VB with no problems. This time round i have anterior placenta again, but it is higher this time so am feeling movements much sooner! Try not to worry, more often than not it wont cause any problems!

QueenMolotov Thu 21-Apr-16 09:27:26

Thanks again for your replies. You're all helping me to keep my cool and push panicky thoughts to the back of my mind xx

I'll post an update wrt what is found at my 20wk scan (which will be on May 6th).

FraterculaArctica Thu 21-Apr-16 09:50:19

Mine's on May 5th so I'll update you too then!

QueenMolotov Thu 21-Apr-16 10:32:06

I'll keep my eyes peeled for your news, Arctica smile

QueenMolotov Fri 06-May-16 20:40:31

An update: I had my 20w scan today and the placenta is still anterior low, so I'm booked in to be rescanned at 32w. Apparently, the placenta is about 2cms away from my cervix; the trust I'm having the baby at like it to be about 6cms away. Even if it remains low, it won't really affect mode of delivery, as I've requested a repeat CS. It would be good if it moves though, or if it doesn't, to make sure it isn't attached to my old CS scar (that couldn't be seen today).

The good news is that I've been feeling a lot more movement over the past week!

How did your scan go, Arctica?

Osirus Fri 06-May-16 22:18:42

Mine was anterior low at 12 weeks and then posterior high at 20 week scan.

ilovechocolate80 Sat 07-May-16 00:21:28

Still has every chance of growing into a better position. Imagine putting a spot sticker on a balloon and blowing it up, it moves. Mine didn't but I was told most do. Mine was 2.5 cm from the OS (way out). Was allowed to labour naturally. Had no effect other than I let it scare me into not coping with the birth and it all got a bit unpleasant and medical despite not causing any problem. Worrying about it caused the problem. Good luck and try not to worry x

Shanghaichica Sat 07-May-16 09:30:03

There is still plenty of time for it to move. Mine was always posterior and not low lying, 16 weeks, 21 and 36. However I think for most people they move out of the way by the time you're ready to give birth.

QueenMolotov Mon 09-May-16 10:01:03

I just feel a little worried as I've had a previous CS, and the placenta is lying low at the front part of my uterus. I read somewhere (a RCOG document, I think) that makes a 50/50 chance in those circumstances for a low-lying placenta found at the 20w scan to move. As it's 2cm away from the OS (cervical opening?) then I guess if it doesn't move, my risk might be having partial placenta praevia. I just hope, if that's the outcome, that's all it is (worried about placenta praevia with accreta).

But there are a lot of 'ifs' and 'mights' there. I may be one of the 50% of ladies whose placenta moves. The sonographer also told me not to worry, so I will try not to worry. Thanks all. I'll post another update after the 32w scan.

HP07 Mon 09-May-16 10:40:20

I too have an anterior low lying placenta and have to be rescanned at 34 weeks. I would prefer a natural birth but if I need a c-section to keep us safe then so be it. Fingers crossed that it moves up. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now