Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Black Tie Dinner - 27 weeks pregnant - next week

(13 Posts)
SunLolly Wed 20-Apr-16 13:24:44

Aaaaarrrghhh, having just checked details for an event we are going to through husband's work next week, I've discovered that it is infact a black tie dinner. What can I wear??? The only maternity dresses I own are these:

www.isabellaoliver.com/uk/shop/maternity-clothes/maternity-dresses/ruched-t-shirt-maternity-dress-peacock-blue.htm
In bright coral and navy

and this one:
www.isabellaoliver.com/uk/shop/maternity-clothes/maternity-dresses/ellis-maternity-tank-dress-rich-apricot.htm
in peacock blue or black

I'm assuming none will be suitable?

Diddlydokey Wed 20-Apr-16 13:28:16

I'd wear the t-shirt one and have lots of accessories

Pinklily1 Wed 20-Apr-16 13:29:23

Hi Sun

I am having the same dilemma! We have a wedding to go to when I'll be almost 9 months pregnant which is also black tie.

I'm not sure either of those dresses will be ok for a black tie dinner, unless maybe you could wear a smart jacket over one of them and dress it up with jewellery?

I'm getting a maxi dress from Tiffany Rose for the wedding, then going to dress it up a bit.

Chillyegg Wed 20-Apr-16 13:29:52

What's your budget/can you buy something new?

Artioo2 Wed 20-Apr-16 13:53:49

Wear the black sleeveless one with sparkly jewellery, nice shoes and a jacket or shrug if you have one. It'll be fine. People will be sympathetic, you're pregnant. I would not be buying a new dress for a one-off work event if I could help i (especially as it's not even your work!) as late as 27 weeks.

SunLolly Wed 20-Apr-16 14:19:13

hmm, I could buy something new, but would prefer not to spend too much as I'm only really going to wear it once - definitely less than £75.

Artandco Wed 20-Apr-16 14:26:06

The bottom one in black is fine I think. Add jewellery and nice shoes and it will be fine

chaosagain Wed 20-Apr-16 14:35:28

Another vote for the bottom one in black accessorised to the max.

But if you want to look at a new dress, try Asos and search for maternity occasion wear. They do plenty under £60..

Sanch1 Wed 20-Apr-16 14:58:21

Maybe the black sleeveless one with some sort of shrug or scarf and some statement jewellery. I wouldn't want to spend out on something I'll only wear once. Or could you have a look on ebay, local fb selling pages, or local charity shops? You never know what you might find.

SunLolly Wed 20-Apr-16 15:45:50

Thanks all, am going to try the black one on tonight and see what I think. smile

Alwaysinahurrynow Wed 20-Apr-16 15:50:07

Seraphine generally have some of their more expensive ones on sale. They also do next day delivery which is handy. The only problem being that their sizing can be a bit inconsistent. I ended up buying about five dresses and returning four as only needed one and it was the only one that fitted well. They then sent me a 20% off voucher as I returned so much of the order.

moggle Wed 20-Apr-16 16:11:31

Have a look on ebay - it's full of barely worn maternity stuff, especially special occasion dresses like this.

cheekstime Wed 20-Apr-16 16:13:33

Hi dress up either dress with accessories. I wouldn't put yourself under any undue pressure, simply not worth it for one evening, espechially when you could look fab dressing any of this up, and maybe hair in a special type of way. Hope all goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now