Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Flying holiday whilist pregnant

(11 Posts)
londonrach Wed 20-Apr-16 07:20:11

Im 25 weeks pregnant almost 26 weeks pregnant. Husband wants us to go to italy for 10 day this weekend. He has booked a relaxing holiday and i will not be expected to do much. Ive phoned up and spoken to the travel insurance and had health assessment via the phone. Ive also texted my midwife who as usual not got back to me. Ill get some flight socks and im on aspirin anyway. If no midwife contact soon ill check with Gp. Im slightly concerned as ill be 26 weeks when i fly out (just under 4 hour flight) and 27 when i fly back. Anyone got any more advice. My pil are worried and im dreading telling my dm as just leaving the uk when not pregnant is a problem.

PotteringAlong Wed 20-Apr-16 07:25:21

Make sure you have cast iron travel insurance that covers the baby if they're born whilst you're away as well as you. And covers cost of accommodation in Italy for you while they're in nicu etc

Laptopontable Wed 20-Apr-16 08:17:10

What are your concerns? I'm flying to my husbands home country (4hour flight) at 28 weeks and back at 29. I hadn't really thought about it?! My midwife said it would be fine. Is your pregnancy high risk?

Junosmum Wed 20-Apr-16 09:01:48

As long as you have travel insurance I don't see an issue. And Italian medical care is good should anything happening- which is really really unlikely.

londonrach Thu 21-Apr-16 06:49:36

Yes high risk due to age and something else.

Vampishtortoise Thu 21-Apr-16 07:20:38

I'm going to Spain for a long weekend at 25 weeks and flying back at 26 and the midwife said this is absolutely fine. I've got flight socks and she advised lots of water on the plane and while away too.

DesertOrDessert Thu 21-Apr-16 07:33:35

Read what the airline ask for. Usually upto 28th week, your fine. So check the numbers carefully. But all the airlines are different.

londonrach Thu 21-Apr-16 08:25:41

Midwife texted me back saying enjoy! She also suggested checking air line. Its easy jet so seems up to 30 weeks is ok. Midwife did suggest maybe gp letter if worried but what gp could fit me in now!

mmmminx Thu 21-Apr-16 14:03:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dlah Sat 23-Apr-16 15:02:34

Me and my partner are going to Vegas in 5 weeks . . I'll be 18 weeks going/19 coming back. 10-11 hour flight, I've purposely booked seats in middle of plane where I know there's extra room to stand up and move.

Other than my sickness which still hasn't calmed down, I'm hoping it will be a nice break just the two of us before baby is here. Fingers crossed!

londonrach Thu 05-May-16 06:50:36

Just a quick update. Im back and had no problems. In fact being pregnant was amazing abroad as italians love babies. I had so much help from italian men. I Feel relaxed and now getting ready to meet her. My advice on anyone travelling.....get travel insurance, check with midwife before, book seats (we did took the pressure off and as the airline knew i was pregnant i jumped queues so no standing). If flying wear flight socks, get up and walk around plane, drink lots of water and finally...this is most important bit enjoy your last holiday as a couple.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now