Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Money problems! Help!!

(18 Posts)
nisi297 Tue 19-Apr-16 16:27:22

My manager seems to think I'm not entitled to SMP as I am on a zero hour contract, is this right?

And if I'm not entitled to SMP how does Maternity Allowance work?

I'm so worried that when I leave work in a few weeks I'm going to have no money..

Has anyone else been through this?

mummytobecabz Tue 19-Apr-16 16:43:02

Pretty sure its worked out using an average of your few months wages before taking maternity leave, i was curious about what id get so i went to an online calculator for employers and it didnt ask anything about contracted hours only wages paid between jan and march and it calculated what i was going to be paid from that xx

nisi297 Tue 19-Apr-16 16:45:52

I thought that, I've looked on the GOV UK website and it doesn't say anything about not being entitled to SMP if you're on a zero hour contract. Who should I speak to? Xx

Artioo2 Tue 19-Apr-16 16:47:50

You could try phoning the Citizen's Advice Bureau, I'm sure they'd either be able to clarify or point you towards somewhere that can.

pitterpatterrain Tue 19-Apr-16 16:49:30

Have you given in your mat1b form to them? Have you got a HR team you could speak with?

Cakescakescakes Tue 19-Apr-16 17:01:41

I was on a zero hours contract so wasn't eligible for SMP but I had worked enough hours during my pregnancy to be eligible for Maternity Allowance. You apply for it directly through the Jobcentre I think? (I'm in NI). I needed a form stamped by my work confirming that I wasn't eligible for any maternity pay from them too. Is there a helpline number on the gov.uk website for advice?

Beth2511 Tue 19-Apr-16 17:24:51

Its based on average earnings not contract and i think for smp you need to earn 140 a week.

thecatsarecrazy Tue 19-Apr-16 17:33:38

I think you can get a maternity grant or something similar and give them your pay slips and you get %90 of your earnings

Becciilouisex3 Tue 19-Apr-16 17:56:23

If you're not eligible for SMP you will be entitled to MA don't worry! They give you 90% of your average weekly earnings up to a maximum of £139 (so if you earn an average of more than £139 per week, £139 per week is all you will get).

You apply through the jobcentere as far as I know but there's lots of info on www.maternityaction.org.uk

They will use your payslips to calculate and average weekly wage for yourself and pay you what you earn on an average week OR £139 if your average weekly earning is over £139.

Hope that makes sense but check the website too it's probably clearer haha!

nisi297 Tue 19-Apr-16 19:41:52

Yes I have them my mat1b form. I tried calling citizen advice but was put on hold for like 20 minutes and it costs to call them. I think I'm going to go to the job centre tomorrow and fill a form in for MA. I earn more than £140 a week so I should be okay then right? £139 a week is much better than I have been offered so I'm fine with that! Thank you so much for all your help!

nisi297 Tue 19-Apr-16 19:43:45

Does anyone know what form it is I need from work to say why I'm not entitled to SMP? Do I need to get it from somewhere and get them to sign it or do they get one?

Blackpoollassy Tue 19-Apr-16 19:54:11

Think they need to give you a smp1 firm to say they won't pay you smp.
The instructions in the maternity allowance application are quite good. Can't remember the link though

Blackpoollassy Tue 19-Apr-16 19:54:54

https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/overview
Try this

Kitkatmonster Tue 19-Apr-16 20:35:43

You can complete the maternity allowance application online then print it off to sign. It's really straightforward, just done mine. I don't know the link off the top of my head but if you Google you'll find it. There's an eligibility checker before you start too.

nisi297 Tue 19-Apr-16 21:11:21

Thanks guys big help!!

LumpishAndIllogical Wed 20-Apr-16 15:21:52

SMP is not based on hours worked/contacted hours but how much you earn. I think you need to earn at least £112 per week between 18 weeks pregnant and 25 weeks pregnant. You will get 90% of earnings or £139 per week (which ever is lower) as SMP.

You will need to give your employer a MATB1 form by 25 weeks pregnant, you get from doc or midwife around 21 weeks pregnant.

For maternity allowance your MA is not based on earnings between 18-25, but any 13 weeks (proven via payslips) of the 66 weeks leading up your due date. 13 weeks don't need to be consecutive so pick weeks you earned most on.

If you don't qualify for SMP you can the then apply for MA. But only once you have been assessed as not legible by your employer and receive a specific form saying why - you use this form as part of application for MA.

letthefundusbegin Wed 20-Apr-16 16:15:53

If it's your first baby and you're on relatively low income/ benefits you may also be eligible for £500 sure start maternity grant:

www.gov.uk/sure-start-maternity-grant/overview

MeDownSouth Wed 20-Apr-16 16:36:31

www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/benefits-and-entitlements-to-claim-when-you-have-a-baby smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now