Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sciatica

(6 Posts)
H0p3 Sat 16-Apr-16 18:50:22

Hi All. Just after some advice really whilst I wait for a referral. I am only 9 weeks but have been suffering with sciatica on and off since about week 5. The last few days it's got so bad I've had trouble walking and find moving around when lying down nearly impossible. Bending down is excruciating and makes it worse. I've been taking paracetamol which takes the edge off and trying to do some exercises from the NHS website. Just wondered if any one had found anything that helped and quickly! I have a referral for physio as of Friday but not sure how long that will take. Any advice gratefully received.

kiwiblue Sat 16-Apr-16 19:00:18

Hi, sorry to hear that! I've suffered from sciatica in the past and have noticed it's been flaring up again recently (I'm 8 weeks).

When I had it badly the physio gave me very specific stretches to do that really helped- possibly they are on the NHS website and are hard to describe, but hamstring stretches, cat stretch to flex the back, seated twist and also hip opener stretches I all find help. Hopefully you can get a physio referral soon as I think that is your best bet to sort it. I used to take strong painkillers but that is obviously not an option!

Sitting for long periods really aggravates it so try to keep mobile. The other thing that helps is strengthening your core so that is probably something to try once it's settled down as will hopefully help prevent a recurrence.

I know how horrible it is, really hope it settles down soon!

H0p3 Sat 16-Apr-16 19:54:45

Thanks Kiwi that's really helpful. Will look up some of those exercises as don't think they're all on the website.

I know I need to strengthen my core and pelvic floor so as soon as I've got a handle on this that's my next stop.

Fingers crossed yours doesn't flare up too badly. The pain has been mind blowing to be honest so you have my every sympathy!

kiwiblue Sat 16-Apr-16 20:25:59

Yes I know it is absolute agony- you have my sympathies.

For hamstring, try sitting with the leg on your painful side out straight in front, and lean forward slightly/twist a little if you can until you feel the stretch where the sciatica is. The other way to do that is lie on your back and hold leg up straight, pull gently towards you until feel stretch. Can also try pulling it a little to one side, often you'll get into the right place that way.

Cat stretch be on all fours. Alternate between arching back like a cat and then the other way so lifting your head and bum, with back going down.

Seated twist cross your legs and twist your upper body to one side.

Hip stretches are great. You can lie on your back and put your feet together and let your legs fall open, and try to get your knees as close to the floor as possible. Push gently on the leg from sore side. Another good one that is very intense is rest on your forearms, face down, on your knees with legs apart (sort of like birthing position!) and push back and down- sorry that one is very hard to describe!

H0p3 Sat 16-Apr-16 22:09:58

Tried some of these earlier and already some respite! I think you've described the forearms and knees one very well too! You can really feel that one and the cat stretch. Thank you so much. Feeling slightly less hopeless now smile

kiwiblue Sun 17-Apr-16 09:24:11

I'm glad! It's definitely about finding the ones that work for you. Do them as often as you can, try not to sit for long periods, and a warm wheat bag on your back can help too. Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now