Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

can't sleep

(10 Posts)
user1455661447 Sat 16-Apr-16 05:20:23

Ever since I got pregnant I have been feeling uncomfortable when I sleep and been struggling to sleep through the night. I have very vivid dreams and then wake up between 2am and 3 am every night. I lie awake for the next 3-4 hours before I manage to doze off again. It's making me so tired at work and it's so hard to get up in the morning. I'm then exhausted by 9pm and am asleep by 10pm. Im now 12 weeks pregnant and am finding this lack of sleep and the all day sickness and nausea is really getting me down. I never feel ok! Is anyone else experiencing this?

cantbelieveImquittingcoffee Sat 16-Apr-16 05:35:11

37 weeks and my new wake-up time is around 4am...I'm currently on the sofa in the dark wishing I could sleep! I have found that it's gone in phases throughout my pregnancy - the week I got my BFP I slept about 3-4 hours a night, then it improved, then generally has gone in cycles, which has been the same for how I have been feeling generally - through my 2nd trimester I would have 2 bad weeks followed by 2 good weeks. I know it's different for everyone but sleep troubles are really common, so you're not alone! Sadly as I approach D-day I think mine are now not just a phase and am trying to resign myself to a maximum of 4 hours sleep at a stretch possibly for the next 5 years
Hope it improves for you though, i'm sure it will!

Helbelle75 Sat 16-Apr-16 05:36:29

Morning! Yes, I wake up around 4. 30 every day, then go back to sleep around 6.30 when it's almost time to get up.
I'm really uncomfortable with my back and I'm hoping having a massage today will help.
The feeling dreadful's not nice at all, but I've wanted a family for so long I don't actually mind. I may have changed my mind on that in a few weeks though!

ermmm Sat 16-Apr-16 05:51:56

I am only 5.3weeks and am really struggling to sleep aswell. Was really tired last night so came to bed at 10 leaving the dc to them selves. I think come 12 I was wide awake 😳.
Legs were itching like crazy and no matter how I laid couldn't get comfortable. Slept for an hour max and have been awake since 4.30.
maybe it's the bubba way to get us in practice to the sleepless night we all will be getting on their arrival lol.😉

originaldoozy Sat 16-Apr-16 05:55:47

OP I could have written your post word for word including the exact wake up times and being awake for hours. Im now 13 weeks. Nausea and sickness easingever so slightly but sleep still bad. I hope it changes dor us both soon. Im exhausted. You are not alone.

Cric Sat 16-Apr-16 05:57:33

I'm 8 weeks and the same. This is my second pregnacy and I was the same in my first. But at about 14 weeks it all got better (until the last 7 weeks). I am hoping it gets better again!

Twinwife Sat 16-Apr-16 06:02:24

Totally normal...not had a good night sleep for over a year, DD is 4 months! It does get better though

Starface Sat 16-Apr-16 06:10:56

On my second preg. This didn't happen with my first but then I stayed up till I was exhausted. It has happened the whole way through with this preg, but then I've been going to sleep at 8.30 sometimes which won't have helped my sleep regulation. The first trimester is its own special time of exhaustion though. That should lift for most over the weeks 12 - 17. Then most people have a rollicking second trimester - it gets better, even if you aren't sleeping better.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 16-Apr-16 06:35:44

I was the same during pregnancy and breastfeeding, Dr said that its 'hormonal' which is really helpful! After I stopped breastfeeding at 10 week, I then had about 6 weeks of the worst insomnia I've ever had (was taking nytol every night, and it wasn't working) and eventually I just convinced myself I was broken and would never sleep again. I would walk upstairs at bedtime exhausted and by the time i'd brushed my teeth it was like a switch had been flicked and I was wide awake. Eventually I used a download of Paul McKenna's hypnosis and stopped taking any remedies, followed his plan to the letter and 'retrained' myself to sleep. I also stopped drinking tea and coffee in the afternoon. The download is available online as a book, and has a code for a hypnosis that you listen to every night. I'm not sure if you can use it while pregnant but I would highly recommend it, even if you just use it to relax rather than lying in bed stressed.

HP07 Sat 16-Apr-16 10:21:44

Yep, having so many weird dreams and waking up all the time. I'm 17+4 and ita still no better I'm afraid. Sorry :/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now