Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Six small meals? Ideas!

(10 Posts)
economymode Tue 12-Apr-16 20:47:52

Currently 9 weeks and suffering from bad indigestion. All advice says have six small meals instead of 3 big ones. But no examples! I didn't have indigestion this bad with previous pregnancies, so am looking for a bit of advice. I feel really bad after meals but am so hungry I probably eat more than I can handle.

What do other people eat? (Other than packets of antacids...).

Thanks in advance (and apologies if I don't reply immediately).

Mermaid36 Tue 12-Apr-16 22:46:26

I ate a lot of cereal or toast, and put cheese spread/beans/egg on the toast...I didn't feel like eating 'proper' food most of the time, so 'things with toast' was perfectly ok.

You could also snack on oatcakes/hummus, olives etc

Ffion3107 Tue 12-Apr-16 23:04:50

Just a few ideas:
Breakfast - cereal/porridge/toast
Mid morning - fruit/nuts/yogurt/eggs
Lunch - sandwich/soup/jacket potato
Afternoon - crackerbreads/rice cakes/cheese
Dinner - (smaller than usual portion of) some sort of meat or fish with veg and potatoes or rice or pasta
Evening - toast/crumpets/a hot milky drink

economymode Wed 13-Apr-16 08:04:01

Thanks both.

Just tried a small bowl of porridge for breakfast - indigestion! No matter what I eat, it seems it's out to get me....

Will see how I get on with stuff on toast.

nehagarg Wed 13-Apr-16 08:22:06

I tend to keep it limited to fruits and veggies and that seems to help.

Breakfast - bowl of soy milk with fruits cut up in it, with chia seeds.
Brunch - veg juice, for example I just made myself kale, half avocado, half banana, cucumber and grapes
Lunch - soup, veggie stew
Afternoon - nuts and seeds. Maybe dried fruit too like figs, apricots
Dinner - bowl of beans or lentils or veggies, all cooked wih proper spices, not just boiled and tasteless.

Early dinner seems to help my heartburn though its never disaapeared entirely but at least I can get some sleep.

Good luck. smileflowers

RavioliOnToast Wed 13-Apr-16 08:24:02

I got indigestion with everything, just buy shares in rennies and accept this fate grin congratulations on your pregnancy thanks

frangipani13 Wed 13-Apr-16 08:32:47

Have you been to the dr? Many of the drugs they prescribe to babies for reflux are also used in pregnancy for indigestion/heartburn. We've had Ranitidine, Gaviscon and Omaprazole. Yours sounds quite severe if porridge is triggering symptoms.

Mouthfulofquiz Wed 13-Apr-16 08:46:25

If you are getting heartburn just go to the GP. They can prescribe you some ranitidine or omeprazole which will allow you to eat as normal.

economymode Wed 13-Apr-16 13:51:49

Thanks, I saw midwife this morning and she also said that if gaviscon etc isn't touching it, then to go to GP for a prescription. Guess that's where I'll be headed then! It was never this bad with either of my other children.

nehagarg your diet is the kind of thing I would eat before, but sadly I am completely off most fruit and veg (happened in previous pregnancies too). Enjoy it for me smile

nehagarg Wed 13-Apr-16 14:09:28

I was the same economymode ... Hated my own cooking in the first trimester. If DH made the same thing, I was fine. Hopefully this will go away soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now