Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

weight gain

(14 Posts)
Indiana77 Tue 12-Apr-16 11:02:01

Aaaaaaaargh! This may seem superficial to some, but I am distressed.
I have just been to the doctor's for the first time in this pregnancy (am just over 8 weeks) and it looks like I have already gained s***loads of weight. I now weigh more than ever in my life. Maybe it is just bloating? Or perhaps my breasts, which have ballooned and feel like they weigh 10 st each? Wishful thinking. I have been eating constantly to keep the nausea at bay and not exercising at all for the same reason. I guess now is not the time to go on a diet though. How do you guys keep your weight in check esp if you are too sick and tired to exercise? Should I worry or can I trust it'll come off once I start breastfeeding if I am naturally slim?

mellysam Tue 12-Apr-16 11:47:45

How were you feeling before you looked at the number on the scales?
For this exact reason I never weight myself i'm a size 10-12 and just go by what I look like.
I'm currently 18 weeks pregnant with twins and not bothered by what I might weigh, my tummy is starting to get a nice podge and I love it.
If you have been eating to keep nausea at bay that's a perfectly good reason to have needed to eat.
Sorry i'm probably not being very helpful! You are growing a human that takes a lot of effort and you need to fuel your body for that. Enjoy your pregnancy smile

Indiana77 Tue 12-Apr-16 11:53:22

Yeah I am (well used to be) the same size as you and would rather not weigh myself because I know I get stupidly obsessed about it but the doctor needed to check I guess. I don't think I look fat really, the number was just shocking. I wonder why does it happen to some people that they don't get rid of the weight while others do quite easily? I just think I would look ridiculous if I were overweight because my bone structure is small. Tiny head and hands and a massive body. Eeek. NO!

Anyway, I have been a bit neurotic about this and that as it's all pretty new to me. So I guess it's just one of those things.

coppergrey Tue 12-Apr-16 17:28:06

I'm in my first trimester too and everything I read says don't worry about weight gain/unhealthy eating/lack of exercise at this point. Obviously it's great if you can be healthy, but basically it's about doing whatever you can to stay upright and functioning for the first bit!

When you hit the second trimester things (hopefully) get easier as you start to feel more normal again. My plan is to exercise more and eat better as soon as I feel able. Right now it's bland carbs and as much sleeping as I can get away with!

miniswin Tue 12-Apr-16 17:54:55

If it's any consolation, I'm a size 10 normally, and by the end of the 1st trimester terrifyingly I'd gained 9kg. I did however still fit all my clothes exactly as before and I'm only just in to maternity clothes, still in a 10, at 19 weeks. I think an awful lot of it is fluid, increased blood volume, placenta etc etc. I would go by how you look at feel and not worry about the number on the scales! I'd also had to eat constantly to stem the nausea. And I don't think I've gained THAT much more in the 2nd tri... I'm going to avoid scales for the rest of pregnancy if at all possible though!! I would do the same if I were you smile

Mermaid36 Tue 12-Apr-16 17:58:35

I got very bloaty, without putting much actual weight on first. Couldn't fasten trousers etc.

I'm 25 wks with twins and have put approx 1.5st on, but am still in a 16, just maternity stuff instead of normal clothes.

Indiana77 Thu 14-Apr-16 21:24:02

Thanks people. It is hard to control what you eat when, like people posted above, you feel like you need to put something, preferably carbs, in your mouth every hour to be able to manage anything. I really hope all this calms down. Few more weeks to go till my second trimester....

skankingpiglet Thu 14-Apr-16 23:05:58

Hopefully it'll improve for you. In both pregnancies I have eaten my way through the first trimester to aid the nausea (and because I was bloody starving!) and put on over half of my pregnancy weight in those 3 months. I am a size 12 when not up duffed. 1st time around I only gained a couple of pounds over the whole of the 2nd tri and most of the 3rd, then chunked a bit more in the last couple of weeks. I just wasn't particularly hungry after around 14wks so my intake calmed down. I'm 29wks with DC2 atm and I've gained more than I had at the same point with DC1, but still not vast amounts and it's still mostly bump this time around (just a much bigger bump!). Last time I gained a total of just over 2 1/2 stone, this time I have gained 2 stone so far.
I'm a believer in listening to your body. If it's saying it wants carbs with a side order of carbs, then go for it smile

addstudentdinners2 Thu 14-Apr-16 23:15:27

I put on 4 stone. DS is 4 weeks old and 3 stone has dropped off. I'm confident I can get the last one off.

I didn't believe it when I was pregnant and depressed about my size but honestly once your baby is born you do not have the emotional energy to worry about your post birth size.

addstudentdinners2 Thu 14-Apr-16 23:16:07

Oh and I afraid I ate constantly throughout my second trimester too as nausea did not abate!

kiki22 Fri 15-Apr-16 07:49:13

Have you tried anti sickness bands? They worked wonders for me, stopped me having to eat all the time. I gained loads my first pregnancy found it hard to shift which didn't overly bother me until about 6 months later then when I returned to work at 12 months it hit me hard and I was quite down that I was still so big. This pregnancy ive exercised even when I felt awful and really watched my calorie intake ive only gained 3lbs at 21 weeks (those 3 after last weekend away) I feel so much better than I did at this stage with ds tbh I credit a better diet and exercise but i know how hard it can be.

Do try and be mindful of what you eat and what you do but try not to get in those scales, if you know your being healthy the weight is baby weight and not over eating weight. Good luck x

Seekingmiracles Fri 15-Apr-16 08:00:53

I've put on loads... It's horrifying. BUT we are growing a human!! That's amazing! I'm trying not to think too much about how much I weigh. I will focus on that after. For now I'm working on eating healthily and trying to keep active- nothing too strenuous.
Just remember the body is a wonderful thing. No one will look down on you if you put on more than you'd hoped.
Be easy on yourself. smile

spnfan Fri 15-Apr-16 09:31:25

I put on a whopping 5stone whilst pregnant! I was weighing myself every week to keep an eye but there wasn't much I could do about it!

Listen to your body. If you need to eat, you need to eat. I was strict about only eating when I felt hungry it's just that was all the time!

14 weeks post partum I've lost almost 4 stone and I only managed to breastfeed for two days.( sad )

Really really try not to worry about it. Your body is working harder and longer than it ever has before. It will tell you what it needs. smile

spnfan Fri 15-Apr-16 09:48:11

P.s. I should clarify the only exercise I've done to lose that is one yoga class!

It's not superficial to worry about it. How we see ourselves is a huge part of our self esteem. Give yourself permission to not like your new body if you need to. Yes, it's doing something amazing but it's changing at a rapid pace and you may not be able to keep up. That's totally ok. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now