Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

2nd Trimester Motivation

(25 Posts)
Dollface136 Tue 12-Apr-16 09:23:06

I don't seem to be having the boost in energy that everyone talks about in the 2nd trimester. Should I be worried or what can I do to help this (given the caffeine ban)?

Basically I can hardly get out of bed in the mornings and by 3pm I am desperate to be home and on the sofa. Add to that my mood is foul! I sit at work and cannot deal with people talking to me, I just want to get in, do my work in silence and leave as soon as possible.

This is NOT like the pre pregnancy me. I was such a bubbly, chatty person! I have a BMI of 20, eat very healthy, sleep at least 8 hours....how do people cope?

Any tips? I have been forcing myself to do the Tracey Anderson pregnancy workout in a bid to boost energy but no luck.

MintyBojingles Tue 12-Apr-16 16:44:37

Might be worth having your bloods checked to make sure you're not anemic.

Dollface136 Tue 12-Apr-16 17:00:09

Thanks, who does that for you, the GP?

FoxgloveStar Tue 12-Apr-16 17:44:58

Caffeine isn't banned. Just drink in moderation and follow guidelines.

bippitybopityboo Tue 12-Apr-16 17:54:57

I haven't felt the 2nd trimester energy boost either I'm 26+6 now and thinking it's possibly not going to come.
It is definitely worth having your bloods checked but I think some ladies just don't get it!

MintyBojingles Tue 12-Apr-16 19:19:09

Yes you'd need to see a GP and they will send you to the nurse usually.

I didn't have a second trimester boost in my last pregnancy, felt rubbish, turned out I was anemic. Felt loads better when I started taking iron tablets.

Dollface136 Wed 13-Apr-16 09:05:37

Thanks minty. I had the booking bloods so assumed that checked for all this sort of thing! You'd think they would. Have started up my spinach smoothies again in the mean time to see if that helps while I wait to see my GP. No appointment for 3 weeks. Gotta love the NHS.

addstudentdinners2 Wed 13-Apr-16 09:46:42

You can have caffeine. I had my regular cups of tea. 4 week old DS currently snoozing in front of me!

Fwiw I didn't get the burst of energy either but looking back at pregnancy now post baby I'm amazed that I used those 9 months to do anything but tank up on sleep grin

addstudentdinners2 Wed 13-Apr-16 09:47:04

You may have become anaemic since booking btw.

Thurlow Wed 13-Apr-16 10:12:44

I'd ask for another set of bloods. I had anemia come on about 24 weeks and it was shocking, very similar to how you describe it. Got iron tablets and all was well with the world again!

(And yes, have caffeine - I wouldn't be surviving the 1st trimester without two small cups of coffee a day!)

VictoriaRoses Wed 13-Apr-16 10:22:55

I never got the burst of energysadI had twins though

Dollface136 Wed 13-Apr-16 12:02:10

Thanks all, I am waiting a call back to see if I can get the midwife to redo my bloods rather than wait 3 weeks for the GP.

Out of interest Thurlow what dose of iron did you get put on? I assume it is higher than that included in the pregnacare daily vits.

And thanks all for the caffeine advice. I was a bit worried about having any but sounds like I can go back to a morning coffee without anything to worry about!

Thurlow Wed 13-Apr-16 12:23:19

I can't remember as it was nearly 5 years ago now, but it was definitely added iron tablets, not just what's included in pregnancy vitamins.

malvinandhobbes Wed 13-Apr-16 12:43:15

I am 24 weeks and have not had a boost in energy.

I have WAY more energy than I did in the first trimester where I was more or less a zombie. I have WAY less energy than I do when I'm not pregnant. It is like I have a very small pot of energy to ration throughout the day, so need to be careful with too much standing, too many activities in a week, or vigorous exercise. I take gentle walks. I go to bed on time. I sit more often.

All of my pregnancies have been like this. I tend to get symptoms of low iron (restless legs, fatigue, ice cravings) but never have low iron.

I don't think everyone gets a boost. My sister did. I never have.

Littleelffriend Wed 13-Apr-16 13:54:47

I'm 34 weeks now and haven't had the boost. I don't have a low iron count. Before being pregnant I was a gym bunny, ate really healthily. I've eaten 3 cakes already today.

bumpingalong9386 Wed 13-Apr-16 16:58:51

Hiya

I'm 16+4 at the moment and I feel exactly the same, no energy boost, just absolutely knackered! Luckily I can work from home so on the days where I really have no energy and no patience with my colleagues, I don't go into the office and that has been my saviour.

I don't have low iron (did ask docs / mw to check me over) but as malvinaandhobbes said, not everyone gets that energy boost and I think I'm one of them smile

Dollface136 Wed 13-Apr-16 17:21:03

Glad to hear it's not just me! I'm still waiting on ante natal unit to call me back with the results from my booking bloods (I'm now 16+1) and will ask for repeat iron tests if comes back ok. I think I agree with malvinandhobbes that I do have more energy than 1st trimester when I couldn't function at all, but just nothing near my normal levels.

Can't believe how much chasing you have to do to get test results! I nearly didn't even have a 16 week appointment as apparently where I live we don't have a community midwife but my GP did it in the end. But typical of the NHS, my GP didn't have access to my blood test results. Go figure.

Walkthroughthefire Wed 13-Apr-16 19:26:11

I take spatone, much more gentle on your bowel than the tablets and none of the horrible side affects. Ask your midwife about it.

Dollface136 Thu 14-Apr-16 09:56:43

Thanks walkthroughthefire will do!

Walkthroughthefire Thu 14-Apr-16 11:07:17

The only thing is, I don't think it's on prescription but I bulk buy it on amazon for a decent price

Littleelffriend Thu 14-Apr-16 11:33:26

Not everyone gets side effects from iron tablets, I didn't. You should try first

Dollface136 Thu 14-Apr-16 12:22:55

Is there any negative impact you've been told about from taking an iron supplement if you are not anemic? Getting a blood test but they wont see me for another two weeks....

GwendolynMoon Thu 14-Apr-16 14:11:38

Hi dollface Just to say, there aren't any negative impacts of taking an iron supplement, like spatone or floradix, if you aren't anaemic, it certainly can't hurt. However, the dose of iron in those is v small compared to what you will be prescribed by the docs if you are actually anaemic.

I m 16 weeks atm, my booking bloods showed that I was anaemic and the tablets I have been subscribed are 200mg of iron each and I have to take 3 a day. In comparison Pregnacare has 17mg of iron per tablet and spatone has 5mg per sachet. So there is a big difference and if you are properly anaemic you need the prescribed tablets as opposed to any supplement you can buy at boots etc.

Hope your tiredness improves soon whatever the reason smile

OTheHugeManatee Thu 14-Apr-16 14:12:48

Try Floradix. I'm 19+6 and was feeling completely washed out and it seems to have helped.

Dollface136 Thu 14-Apr-16 14:18:44

Right, I'm going to get some Floradix while I wait for my blood test results.
Thanks ladies, very helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now