Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Membrane sweep - what next?

(11 Posts)
Worthington35 Mon 11-Apr-16 14:42:07

Anyone had a membrane sweep when gone overdue?

Any advice what to do afterwards to help things along? I seem to be stuck on sofa with tv and comfort food smile

Also, it was more painful than I expected which must mean I'm allowed cake cakesmile

Any tips/ sharing stories appreciate! x

Sanch1 Mon 11-Apr-16 15:21:39

Wait and see! I wouldn't just stay on the sofa though, walking and bouncing on one of those gym balls may help things along and get baby moving.

Stom91 Mon 11-Apr-16 15:24:31

Just want and see really. I had 3 and they didn't do anything! (Sorry) got
For a really long walk, have a bath. Get your hair done. Bouncing you the gym ball.
Not
Much advice as I tried it all and was still induced 😂

Good luck!!

QforCucumber Mon 11-Apr-16 15:30:31

Agree with stom I had 2 and did nothing, still ended up being induced.

SunnyL Mon 11-Apr-16 15:32:38

I had one just over 2 weeks ago and baby appeared 48 hours later. Agree with the Walking around. My midwife also recommended dtd though we didn't cos I felt like poo

katienana Mon 11-Apr-16 15:33:40

I had one at 40 weeks and lost my plug the next day. Went into labour 2 days later. I think it only works if your cervix is favourable.

JayDot500 Mon 11-Apr-16 19:50:49

I had one during early labour (after being measured as 3cms). I gave birth 45mins later, and I'm seriously glad I didn't follow the midwife's firm advice to go home and wait! The sweep didn't hurt, it was uncomfortable. Being on my back to be examined hurt more than anything the midwife did with her fingers 'up there' grin. We are all different, good luck!

I was actually due a sweep later that day if my labour hadn't progressed (I was 40+2). I'm going to be a little scared of history repeating itself next pregnancy haha, my son came so quick!

Worthington35 Wed 13-Apr-16 20:26:01

Lost my plug today. Now 40+4. Keeping walking and drinking lots. No other signs so far.

Come on baba!!smile

SunnyL Thu 14-Apr-16 08:19:29

Good luck OP - hopefully won't be long now

SophieVictoria1213 Thu 14-Apr-16 10:50:51

I had 2 sweeps, very uncomfortable, but neither did anything, sorry to tell you.
Went into labour naturally, DS was 9 days late, but on the plus side I lost my plug on the Fri morning and contractions started on that eve.
So good luck!!
Also,
May be too much info but having the runs can also be a good sign as your body will naturally clear itself out ready for the birth. So if you find yourself glued to the loo then that may mean that babe is on the way!
Keep us posted!

Worthington35 Thu 14-Apr-16 13:42:58

Thanks SophieVictoria

That seems to be happening too. smile
All very glamorous isn't it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now