Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

flu like symptoms late pregnancy

(14 Posts)
delilabell Sun 10-Apr-16 18:16:10

I feel like death. I've not moved off the sofa all day.
I have achey limbs, earache, bunged up nose and hot eyes.
My thighs ache too and I haven't slept properly in days
I've got to look after ds1 tomorrow but I don't know how I'm going to manage.
Any advice? It can't be the flu can it? ( I've had the jab) or am I just being a drama queen?

delilabell Sun 10-Apr-16 18:16:32

Forgot to say I'm 36weeks

Artioo2 Sun 10-Apr-16 18:20:50

It could potentially be flu - the jab only protects against the strains they predict at the start of the season will be prevalent, but it's possible to catch a less common strain. If that's the case though, the jab should still give you some protection and mean it's less extreme. I would call your maternity assessment unit for advice if I were you.

delilabell Sun 10-Apr-16 19:01:54

Oh god can you? I just agreed to it.
I've phoned unit twice before about reduced movement. Worried they'll just be annoyed with me for phoning again but u just feel awful.
I might try to get into Dr's tomorrow do you think?

Artioo2 Sun 10-Apr-16 19:39:02

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising the flu jab! It's an extremely good idea to get it, it protects against the commonest strains, and if you did turn out to have flu, it would make it less severe, like I say. In any case, most likely it's a nasty bug rather than flu, but yes, I'd be getting checked out by someone. I'm sure the unit won't be annoyed, they're meant to advise you on stuff like this. Doctor's tomorrow would be good too though.

Cinnamon48 Sun 10-Apr-16 20:04:45

I've just had flu and now a chest infection I've been unwell for a few weeks now and only just now starting to feel more myself and I started with similar symptoms to you ..

I would definitely see your gp as I dehydrated really quickly and had to go into hospital for IV fluids ..

Drink lots and lots / regular paracetamol especially if you have a temp ..

hope you feel better soon ..

delilabell Mon 11-Apr-16 07:26:44

Woke up this morning with a cold but dont feel achey anymore so hopefully that's what it was. Got my paracetamol ready and my one craving is water so hopefully that will help.
At hospital on Wednesday so can hopefully hold out til then if feeling rough. Thank you both ever so much.

Everythinggettingbigger Mon 11-Apr-16 12:44:01

Im the same at 34 weeks. Full as though im full of cold with all the same symptoms and got a cough which is suggesting chest infection. didn't make it out of bed yesterday but don't feel as knackered today, had my 34 week midwife app this morning and she said just to carry on drinking plenty of fluids but if it seems like its not shifting to make an app with my GP.

Hope you are feeling better soon. Luckily enough I had my PILs to watch my DS1(5) for me yesterday, he's in work with me today though!

delilabell Mon 11-Apr-16 13:38:27

It's exhausting isn't it?? Ds is 3 so although he can entertain himself with ipad dvd u feel like I rely in them too much.last day at work tomorrow though!!

Stom91 Mon 11-Apr-16 13:41:52

I had the flu jab in september. Caught the flu end of Feb. Then had a chest infection and then sinusitis.
Along with a headache I've had since January! It's been rubbish!

I hope you're feeling better soon OP.

Try a hot bowl of steaming water to help clear your nose (breathe in the steam)
X

PonderLand Mon 11-Apr-16 13:55:03

Definitely make an appointment with your gp for tomorrow if you feel they could help, I started with similar symptoms a few weeks ago at 29 weeks and I ended up at emergency doctors when it got worse over the weekend due to severe asthma and possible pneumonia.

I felt like a pain because of going to my gp so much in the previous weeks but it's quite scary how quickly things can progress when our immune systems aren't as strong as they normally are. Hope you feel better soon, drink plenty of fluids and rest, rest, rest!

Karen1984 Mon 11-Apr-16 15:19:44

I'm the exact same. Woke up yesterday feeling the exact same symptoms and have taken time off work because of it.

Achy all over, blocked up nose and dodgy throat. I had the flu jab too. I'm 25 weeks +3

5minutestobed Mon 11-Apr-16 16:41:59

I feel the same OP, I'm 34 weeks, it is lousy! Fingers crossed I haven't passed it on to DH or DS yet so they only have to put up with my moaning!

delilabell Thu 14-Apr-16 07:41:44

Just to update, I saw the Dr who said it was just viral but signed me off until mat leave starts.
Yesterday I was at hospital for my scan and I've got increased amniotic fluid. They think could be an infection so I've had bloods taken and see a consultant on Tuesday. Can't help thinking they're connected

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now