Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How long in hospital after birth?

(40 Posts)
MancMama Sun 10-Apr-16 15:16:35

I'm currently 36 weeks pregnant with my first baby. Up until now, I assumed I'd be in hospital upto 24 hours after giving birth - which is fine by me as I don't like hospitals and would much rather be at home with my husband and own comforts. However, a friend of mine has also just had her first baby and she was in hospital for 9 days!!! That terrifies me! I don't know full details but she did have a CS. And her baby had a mild infection. I don't want to be in hospital without my husband and then surrounded by strangers. Will I be able to go home when I want (unless something really serious has happened)?

DoughNut12345 Sun 10-Apr-16 15:31:49

Your friend was only in that long because of the CS and infection you mentioned. If you have an uneventful vaginal birth you can go home within a few hours. Although that might not be the case if you're ready to leave in the middle of the night. If the baby is born at midnight you might have to wait until 8 in the morning or something! Don't forget you can always discharge yourself too!
Depending where you are and what the atmosphere is like....it's sometimes nice to stay in for a bit....especially with your first. You can chat to other mums, get advice off midwives about feeding etc and get some goodie bags!
Good luck with your baby!smile

FellOutOfBedTwice Sun 10-Apr-16 15:32:21

I had a post partum hemmorage- a bad one, had to have a three unit transfusion- and ended up in hospital for only about 48hours but pushed to be let out because the postnatal ward was hell on earth. DD was fine though, I think if the baby is in any way poorly you'll be kept longer and won't have much choice.

mellowyellow1 Sun 10-Apr-16 15:32:51

They won't discharge you until they are happy with both you and baby's health so best not to have a set time frame in mind. I was in for 3 days and literally climbing the walls! Was sooooo so glad to get out but it is for your own good if they keep you in, even if it doesn't feel like it at the time!

PotteringAlong Sun 10-Apr-16 15:35:37

You won't be able to go home when you want; you will be able to go home when you are both healthy enough to do so. I was in for 3 days with both ds1 and ds2

DropYourSword Sun 10-Apr-16 15:41:16

You won't be able to go home when you want

Hospital isn't a prison. You can leave whenever you like if you want, although you may have to sign a discharge against medical advice document. However that's only for you, NOT for the baby.

9 days is a pretty long stay and not the usual at all. You can be discharged home in a matter of hours if all goes ok. Don't get too hung up on it now though, just take it as it comes. I'm k36+ now and realising I have to just go with the flow a little and learn to relinquish control (that we actually don't even have - mother nature is in charge)

yomellamoHelly Sun 10-Apr-16 15:50:28

Was stuck for 3 days after ds1. For no reason that I could see. No-one bothered with me either and no-one to help with ds who screamed for hours upon hours. Got bolshy after that experience.

outputgap Sun 10-Apr-16 15:50:51

I think 24 hours is a reasonable assumption. My baby is 1 week old and everyone in my 4 bed bay left after approx 24 hours, and I think most or all of them had cs, bar me. I actually enjoyed being there, and was slightly sad to go.

Having said that, with dc1 I hated the postnatal ward (at a different hospital), and was very very glad to leave.

I'd be surprised if your husband was booted out. They were allowed to stay in antenatal and postnatal wards where I was.

Alwaysinahurrynow Sun 10-Apr-16 15:51:46

4 nights each time after a section. First time as I was struggling to b/feed and they really wanted to help me and second time due to complications during c-section. This time we're planning around the same. Yes the post natal wards are not the most calming place, but and this is a big but, if either you or your baby are unwell, you won't care at all. If you are really struggling, you can ask if there is an available private room or if you can pay for one, but you have to bear in mind that you will get kicked back to the ward if someone needs it more than you. Honestly, take an eyemask and some earplugs ( I used to sleep whenever my mum or husband came in), lots of whatever snack you like and plenty of clean clothes and you'll be fine.

PotteringAlong Sun 10-Apr-16 15:52:07

That's true, you can discharge yourself against medical advice, but that would seem a really foolhardy thing to do.

Vb87 Sun 10-Apr-16 15:56:54

I was kept in 4 days. I have no idea why, DD was feeding fine and sleeping well. I had no post delivery problems either...

jimijack Sun 10-Apr-16 15:59:39

48 hours after c section.

Buttwing Sun 10-Apr-16 15:59:53

1st baby-5 hrs
2nd baby-24 hrs (I had gestational diabetes)
3rd baby-12 hrs because he was so big
4th baby-5 hrs

I had straight forward births (two inductions) with no stitches except dc4 who was a ventouse delivery.

cocochanel21 Sun 10-Apr-16 16:05:17

I was in for 5 day's with dd1 my mum stayed with me.

Dd2 I was home 6hrs after giving birth.

DancingDinosaur Sun 10-Apr-16 16:08:54

6 hours after dc1 and dc2

LBOCS2 Sun 10-Apr-16 16:13:31

I was kept in for 36hrs after having DD - for monitoring due to my preeclampsia. I wasn't monitored once, I was left in a cubicle with the curtains closed. It was hell. If I'd been at home with DH, at least there was someone around to notice if I'd had a fit.

I started kicking up a fuss after about 30 hours. Threatened to discharge myself, walk out with DD. They got all my paperwork sorted pretty quickly after that...

MancMama Sun 10-Apr-16 16:14:34

Thanks everyone. Obviously if there's issue to my baby's health or mine then of course I'll behave. I'm just not a very good patient. I like my privacy, to be able to come and go and do as I please (I don't like help/interference - I know is my problem and weakness). I just pictured being in my own home with my baby and husband and no-one else for a few days after the birth. I'll just have to learn to take these rose tinted glasses off! :D

Thanks everyone! X

Fluffy24 Sun 10-Apr-16 16:15:22

Less than 48 hours after ELCS.

ShowOfHands Sun 10-Apr-16 16:24:43

12hrs after my first emcs.

36hrs after my second emcs though I could have left earlier if I'd wanted.

Postnatal ward second time round was bliss. Well staffed, cared for and good privacy and kindness. I took the extra time there because I felt so safe.

ShowOfHands Sun 10-Apr-16 16:26:31

My first was born at 10pm btw. DH was booted out soon afterwards as it was after visiting hours (2hrs in the am and 2 in the pm).

SueTrinder Sun 10-Apr-16 16:27:02

DD1 I was in for 3 days. She took that long to establish BFing, with a first baby I think you should be in for at least 24 hours after the birth to make sure the feeding is established however you feed your baby, I've seen bottle feeders also have problems establishing feeding, it's not just an issue for BFing.

DD2 I went in after breakfast and was home for tea, a very quick and straightforward birth and she was BFing immediately and repeatedly over the 6 hours post birth so no concerns there.

DS we were in 9 days but he was premature and had an infection and lost a lot of weight and had jaundice. So a series of complications. We got a private room though which was much better than being on the big ward but it was still a hideous experience but mainly because of being so concerned about him, for myself I was fine.

If you are in for a long time here are my top tips: only have sufficient clothes for 24 hours, get your DH to take a bag with clean clothes for you both in each day and take home the dirty clothes, it's roasting in hospitals so wear t-shirts and light trousers/skirts/dresses. No big jumpers. If DH works locally can he pop in at lunchtime or can a family member, it makes a big difference to your sanity to see friends and family during the day rather than having to wait for the evening. If you are not BFing (actually even if you are) if your health is fine then you'll be allowed to leave for a short time as long as someone stays with the baby (if you were transferred to paediatrics as we were then your DH can stay overnight with your LO if they aren't BFing, we did this the night DS was on a drip and I really benefited from a night in my own bed), it can really help your sanity. Breakfasts are pretty basic so have some breakfasty type snacks and drinks to supplement them (when I'm in the children's ward with DS I have access to a parent's kitchen, might be worth checking if there is one on maternity as well). Have lots of snacks (sweet and savoury), lots to drink (it's very hot), your mobile phone charger, a good book or magazines. Sleep during the day when it's quiet if you can because your nights will be very disturbed.

Annabrooke90 Sun 10-Apr-16 16:58:45

First baby arond five days, big PPH and HDU stry.
Second baby, three days - got an infection and had bacteria growing in my blood so had to have iv antibiotics.
Third baby - again three days. They suspected because he was sleepy that he had an infection, so was put on I.v antibiotics until it was confirmed he actually didn't.
Fourth baby - I was in four days and then discharged from post natal...but my little boy was in a further four days (which was absolutely awful) as he was born at 34 weeks.

Wigeon Sun 10-Apr-16 17:02:06

DD1 - 6 hours after birth around lunchtime

DD2 - 4 hours after birth also around lunchtime.

Nine days is very very unusual - no one I know was in anywhere near that long.

princesspineapple Sun 10-Apr-16 17:09:45

I was in hospital until 6pm after DD was born at 7.30am... Never actually admitted onto the maternity ward for staying over, they just monitored us in the labour room and when we has both eaten and been to the loo, they were happy to discharge us... I had an episiotomy and 2nd degree tear and lost quite a lot of blood from a forceps delivery but they were still happy for us to go home the same day.
One of my friends gave me the advice to stay in as long as they will have you as the support is invaluable, and on day 3 at home with baby I was wishing I'd asked to stay!

Hopelass Sun 10-Apr-16 17:11:42

I had a relatively easy birth. In hospital for 8 hours during labour then after baby was born was discharged after 5 hours. The hospital was busy and they gave me the choice of staying or going home and I chose home smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now