Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

insect repellent confusion-help

(4 Posts)
MrsHatnumber26 Fri 08-Apr-16 16:20:38

Hello

I am 7 weeks pregnant now will be 10-12 when traveling to the south in the USA- Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans.

I am struggling to understand which insect repellent I can buy/use? Most Boots ones say safe when 6 months pregnant but which ones can I use now?

Just concerned in New Orleans given its near swamp land and not far from Zika- probably being overly anxious but first pregnancy and stressing about everything.

Any advice?

Thanks so much!

Eastend2015 Fri 08-Apr-16 18:10:42

I travelled to Cuba at about your stage and was advised not to use any products including DEET, see here www.nhs.uk/news/2009/08August/Pages/DEETInsectRepellentQuestioned.aspx so just put up with a few insect bites. That was before the Zika outbreak was widely known about though. I'm pretty sure New Orleans isn't in the Zika zone.

MrsHatnumber26 Sat 09-Apr-16 07:31:26

Thank you

Noodledoodledoo Sat 09-Apr-16 08:58:01

Mosiguard is a natural insect repellent which is strong enough for use in malaria areas. It is safe to use on babies not sure about in pregnancy but might be an option.

I have a great appeal to mosquitos, they find me very tasty but also have a reaction to DEET which makes them bite me more! I was recommended this by a travel clinic and I swear by the stuff.

As I said you might want to check it's ok in pregnancy though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now