Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I'm 38 so automatically high risk, right?

(8 Posts)
Mrsbadger77 Fri 08-Apr-16 08:08:16

I had my combined test yesterday at my dating scan. The NT test measured 2.1. As I'm 38 I'm assuming my risk will automatically be high. Has anyone around my age been given a low risk from the combined test?

wonkylegs Fri 08-Apr-16 08:16:07

the baseline risk for over 35's is higher (taken from averages) but your individual risk (taken from your actual results) can be lower. I'm 37 and my risk level calculated from the test results was very low when I got the letter through.
Some details on testing and FAQs here www.babycentre.co.uk/a544491/nuchal-translucency-nt-scan

NHKX2 Fri 08-Apr-16 09:02:43

I was almost 39 when I had the test and was deemed virtually no risk. Now I have a beautiful healthy 10-week old girl! So as PP said, overall risk is greater over 35 but not automatic that YOU or this pregnancy will be high risk.

Artioo2 Fri 08-Apr-16 09:11:25

Yes, as the others said, your age is factored into the calculation, but it doesn't make you automatically high chance. I was a very low chance at age 40, then got a high chance at age 42, but that was down to blood results.

Mrsbadger77 Fri 08-Apr-16 09:31:52

Thank you for your replies. I'm just deciding whether or not to to tell my parents about the pregnancy. They're over here staying from Ireland until Sunday. It would be so lovely to tell them in person but I'm getting really worried about these results! As if by telling them I'm tempting fate! I feel a bit better now though.

Danaust Fri 08-Apr-16 09:38:08

It's not automatic, my results were 1.7 and 1.8( twins at 39) and I was given a low risk for all when the blood test was factored in. The results letter showed the average risk for my age and then the individual risk based on my results( blood and scan).

newyorkminute Fri 08-Apr-16 09:48:46

I'm 39 and 25 weeks with DS3. My DS2 has downs. My standing start at this pregnancy was 1:67 but changed to 1:13,000 with a 1.8 nuchal and bloods. I don't think you would be a definite high risk based solely on a 2.1 measurement.

Artioo2 Fri 08-Apr-16 09:58:08

I can understand your worry completely, but it's worth remembering that even if your results did come back as high chance, that's far from meaning anything is wrong. For example, my result was 1 in 39, which was terrifying while we were waiting for further test results, but it was still only around a 2% chance of DS, and for us the further tests came back clear. And many other people will get much higher chances than that and everything will still be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now