Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stuck in limbo - long story of hcg, scans and the like

(4 Posts)
Vanadesse Thu 07-Apr-16 16:28:53

This is probably going to be a little bit of a long story so I apologise in advance!

On 12/3, we found out that we were pregnant. Great news, we'd been trying (more seeing what happened than actively trying) so we were happy. The Clearblue digital said 1-2 weeks at that time. A few days later I had a tiny bit of pink bleeding so I spoke to my GP who referred me to the EPU. Saturday 19/3 I went to the EPU, had a blood test and it came back saying my hcg was 92 and the midwife prepared me for bad news. Monday (21/3) I had another blood test, hcg was now 183, much to the midwife's surprise. Wednesday (23/3) it had gone up to 312, they were happy with the progression but said it was still low for the dates so said to leave it a week and then go back. A week later (30/3) my hcg had only risen to 895 so the midwife wasn't happy again, a scan was booked and I had that the next day (31/3) as they were concerned about it being a possible ectopic. Scan showed a 'pregnancy of unknown location', there was a gestational sac (I've since found out it measured 4mm, I think) but no signs of a fetus inside it. So it was inconclusive and I was told it could be ectopic still, could be a failing pregnancy or could just be earlier than we think. I went back for another scan this week (5/4) and the sonographer was very negative and said there was 'no visible sign of pregnancy'. The consultant afterwards explained that there's still a sac and that it has doubled in size (though the measurement was 5.1mm and I believe it was 4mm last time, which isn't double!) and my hcg had gone up (to 1759) so they still just don't know what's going on so I'm back again next week.

Timeline (the too long, didn't read version!)
7/2: LMP (I have a 33-35 day cycle)
25/2: DTD
1/3: DTD
12/3: Positive 1-2 week digital test
17/3: Very light pink blood when wiping (just once)
19/3: HCG 92
21/3: HCG 183
23/3: HCG 312
30/3: HCG 895
31/3: Scan - 4mm? sac
1/4: HCG 1082
5/4: Scan - 5.1mm, HCG 1759

Struggling to be positive about it all now. I just don't know what's going on and want some answers. I'm tired of maybes and we don't knows. I feel like I'm just stuck in limbo. I can't be sad because there isn't anything to be sad about really, not for sure, yet I can't help but feel a bit sad still. I can't be happy. I certainly struggle to feel hopeful. It's just so hard.

I know it's all quite complicated and every person, pregnancy and situation is different but I was just wondering if anyone has been through anything similar and what your outcome is/was?

SouthDownsSunshine Thu 07-Apr-16 16:35:57

I think it's still really really days for you. What have EPU suggested as next steps? Personally, I wouldn't rush into having another scan until at least a week has passed.

Vanadesse Thu 07-Apr-16 17:03:49

They want to rescan and do bloods on Tuesday 12th so exactly a week later.

sandy30 Fri 08-Apr-16 23:44:21

Hi Vana, I agree with South. I'm sorry you're in such a limbo but, based on what you've said, I wouldn't give up hope just yet. A friend had slow rising hcg and a healthy baby at the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now