Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Velamentous cord insertion - anyone had this/know about it?

(11 Posts)
Quodlibet Thu 07-Apr-16 15:43:26

Hi there

I am 25 wks and have just had a velamentous cord insertion show up on an MRI (we had an MRI as part of a research study). The radiographer was only able to give me basic details about what this means, and has flagged it for my consultant to review. She also told me not to google - which of course in itself sets of alarm bells.

I don't want to google and read a load of worst-case horror stories, but while I am waiting for some contact from the consultant, could anyone tell me if they've had this and what the ramifications were? I understand that sometimes it goes undetected and may not cause a problem in a natural delivery, but that it depends on the cord placement.

thanks

Puggleface Thu 07-Apr-16 19:32:00

Hi quod
I'm sorry that you are so anxious and going through such a difficult time. It's great news that they have picked up the VCI on your MRI and your care will change accordingly. Just also ask them to make sure your consultant checks you for another condition called Vasa Preavia which is commonly associated with VCI. I had both which unfortunately we're not diagnosed. I can't give your any further advise really but try not to stress yourself out too much. You'll know more soon and when you do you'll be in a better position to do a bit of research into what condition(s) you may have. Wishing you all the best! Xx

TurquoiseDress Thu 07-Apr-16 23:25:17

Hello
Try not to worry yourself too much, I know it's difficult not to wonder & be tempted to google!

I had VCI- but I only know because I read it in my notes post c-section. Then I googled lots when my LO was just a few days old & I freaked out!

My CS was for maternal request, all went great, no complications.
As it was never spotted during pregnancy I never saw anyone about it, I was very much a 'low risk' pregnancy.

Hope you get more answers soon!

clarinsgirl Thu 07-Apr-16 23:33:04

I too read VCI in my birth notes but only once DS1 was born. As far as I'm aware the big risk is during labour and the risk can be mitigated if the issue is diagnosed. Talk to your midwife and make sure that you get good advice about what this means for your birth plan. DS1 was a perfect and healthy baby boy who is now 11 years old.

Quodlibet Thu 07-Apr-16 23:49:15

Thanks for the gentle responses!

Yes, I've read about vasa praevia too a little bit - another scary condition. I'm being scanned/monitored anyway for a low placenta which can also cause issues in labour if it doesn't budge up a bit. I am fortunate I think that the issue has been looked at really clearly on the MRI, so will hopefully get some good medical advice. I feel reasonably confident that now the condition has been identified the medical team can advise me and hopefully mitigate any potential risk. But as well as worrying about delivery risks, I am also quite sad that it might mean I can't have another vaginal birth. It feels like I'm in limbo a bit until I get some contact from the consultant.

Puggleface Fri 08-Apr-16 07:11:31

Hi quod no need to worry about delivery options now. The main thing is getting your baby here nice and safe and sound smile Keep us updated and feel free to PM me if you have a Vasa Preavia diagnosis too. Xx

Quodlibet Fri 08-Apr-16 07:52:30

Thanks Puggle. I realised last night that I probably sound v silly worrying about natural birth when there are others here who've probably experienced v serious consequences from this diagnosis.
I'm reasonably confident I don't have vasa praevia too as when they showed me the cord entering the placenta on the MRI scan I'm pretty sure it goes in to the top of the placenta about halfway up the womb, rather than down the bottom near my cervix. And I think the radiologist would have flagged that additional complication - as it was she said it may not pose me a problem as it's dependent on cord placement but that the consultant would review. But thank you for the offer of support. It's really hard sitting here wondering when I will get to speak to someone about it in detail and just imagining horrible possibilities in the meantime.

Beekeeper31 Sat 09-Apr-16 08:45:02

I had VCI detected at my 12 week scan. My only complication was that the placement of the cord weakened the membranes and my waters went early. Which is really rare.

Quodlibet Sat 09-Apr-16 20:39:31

Oh that's interesting Beekeeper, thank you. Did you have a natural birth or a c-section?
I've had a strong feeling for a while that this one is going to come early.

Beekeeper31 Sat 09-Apr-16 21:26:34

I had a c section not due to the cord but because of a failed induction. I was always going to try for a natural birth. There was some discussion about having an active or physiological third stage because the midwife would have to pull on the cord to remove the placenta if it got stuck which would be problem with a VCI as the cord is more vulnerable to break off. But in the end it wasn't relevant.

Quodlibet Tue 19-Apr-16 21:56:29

Just a quick update - I had an ultrasound scan today with a consultant (actually 2 different doctors looked) and could find no problem with my cord placement, so false alarm. My placenta has also moved up and out of the way, so no further cause for concern. I am beyond relieved! Thank you all for some very kind support in the midst of a very worrying time for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now