Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Doctors and midwives

(17 Posts)
St4r Tue 05-Apr-16 20:43:55

Hi all. It's my first pregnancy and into my 6th week. I went to doctors who confirmed pregnancy and told me to contact a midwife. Midwives don't want to see me until I'm 11/12 weeks. I'm finding this really hard. I'm worried about my aches and pains and find it hard not speaking to a professional. Anyone else in the same boat or have experience of this? Is it normal not to see anyone for all that time?

FuzzyOwl Tue 05-Apr-16 20:46:30

Are you due in December? If you look on the antenatal threads there will be a group of other women due at the same time that will probably have similar worries and concerns to you, so it is good to be able to discuss with them.

Where I am you only see the midwife from eight weeks (to book in), have blood tests at ten weeks and then a scan at 12 weeks. Did your doctor tell you how you would be referred for your 12 week scan? Or will your booking in and bloods all be done at 11 weeks and then the scan referral made?

FuzzyOwl Tue 05-Apr-16 20:47:26

And yes, aches and pains are really common but that doesn't stop them from being any less worrying.

Scoopmuckdizzy Tue 05-Apr-16 20:50:09

I'm pregnant with no3 and forgot just how sore the first few weeks could be! It will seem like forever until you get to see a midwife but rest assured the cramping/aching etc is normal.

Imnotaslimjim Tue 05-Apr-16 20:52:06

Its standard to book in with MW at around 10ish weeks then have a scan at 12 and 20 weeks.

Aches and pains are normal, its your body adjusting to the changes.

Anxiety is pretty normal too, its all new to you.

St4r Tue 05-Apr-16 20:53:06

Late November so I'll have a look for the thread thanks. Bookings etc will be done when I see the midwife at 11 weeks. I know aches and pains are common but I'm just worried about how bad they are :-/ terrible back and neck ache. Can't get comfy and hurts when I'm moving about too. It's a constant pain. Thank you for your reply

St4r Tue 05-Apr-16 20:54:35

Thanks everyone. That's reassuring. I'm surprised we don't get more support from professionals

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Tue 05-Apr-16 20:55:35

It is all normal and while it is nice to have someone to talk to about this it isn't really necessary for that person to be a health professional. I would join an antenatal thread as suggested above, or confide in someone in real life who has been through it before and who can hopefully reassure you.

Congratulations on your pregnancy flowers

FuzzyOwl Tue 05-Apr-16 20:56:52

Same thread as me then St4r and you can find us here

PotatosMum Tue 05-Apr-16 20:59:53

Drop into the TTC#1 grads thread... We're always talking aches and pains and sharing far tmi smile

St4r Tue 05-Apr-16 21:02:32

Thanks for your reply. I considered making an appointment with my doctor today. The pain is particularly bad. I'm going to see what tomorrow brings. Been bad for two days now. Struggling to move about. Think medical advice would at least reassure me. Don't want to tell anyone else this early but will have a look for the NovemberDD thread :-)

Artioo2 Tue 05-Apr-16 23:19:06

In my experience, the help and support from medical professionals is fantastic when it is needed, but normal pregnancy is not a medical condition, it's a natural process that the body can generally handle fine, so there's no need for most people to see a midwife or doctor often, especially early on.

But that doesn't mean that if you have a problem you can't ask for help - if I was in the extreme pain you describe, I'd be making a GP appointment. Hope you get it sorted. smile

CityMole Wed 06-Apr-16 00:12:14

There is no medical advice needed at this stage unless you have a pre-existing health condition. I felt a bit deflated when I realised how long I had to wait to see some "action"! It's for good reason though. Pregnancies which are sadly not to be viable often do not progress in the early weeks,and nature is pretty much left to run its course, rather than unnecessarily book in everyone at bpf stage. Assuming the pregnancy continues well, (which, of course, most do) then you will meet your midwife and have bloods taken at ten weeks and then have a dating scan at 12. Of course, if you have a medical condition, then your GP may want to see you before that. Meantime, try to eat well , take folic acid and try to enjoy it! You'll be fussed over plenty, all in good time!

CityMole Wed 06-Apr-16 00:14:57

Sorry, I posted too soon. Just to add- if you're in severe pain then, regardless of pregnancy, you should be getting that checked out in the morning! flowers

SouthDownsSunshine Wed 06-Apr-16 07:15:54

I would get any pain checked out, go back to your GP. flowers

Seeyalater Sat 09-Apr-16 10:58:47

Just because you are pregnant it doesn't mean everything is pregnancy related, so if you have neck pain do what you would normally do- paracetamol, rest, warm pack, see gp if worsening/not improving.

bittapitta Sat 09-Apr-16 11:01:56

The pain you describe doesn't sound pregnancy-related at such an early stage in pregnancy. Go to GP and talk about the pain. Is it stress/anxiety related perhaps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now