Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Raspberry leaf tea - experience?

(15 Posts)
Everythinggettingbigger Tue 05-Apr-16 14:22:05

Has anyone had any experience with raspberry leaf tea with previous pregnancies and do you think it's worth it?

I know it's not to induce labour but make it more effective (which is what my body struggled with)

MintyBojingles Tue 05-Apr-16 16:28:18

I took it from about 34 weeks with DD. I went overdue by 13 days, but had a very easy labour. I can't say for sure it helped, though one midwife swore that's why it was so easy. Either way I'll be taking it again just in case!

I've also read that eating dates can help: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21280989/

Anything is worth a try if no bad side effects IMO!

LumpishAndIllogical Tue 05-Apr-16 17:54:12

I drunk tons and had an easy first labour. I read somewhere it's supposed to make contractions more efficient. Obviously I don't know if tea helped at all, or I am lucky with my labours.

I was 10 days past due date when I went into natural labour with DS.

AuldYow Tue 05-Apr-16 18:11:48

Yes I drank it in the later stages of pregnancy. DS1 was back to back and I just had gas and air during labour, DS2 was a home birth whether or not the raspberry leaf tea worked or not I can never prove it. However psychologically it probably had a massive effect on me.

Flutterworc Tue 05-Apr-16 18:12:54

Drank daily from 36 weeks and went 2 weeks over - labour was fast and drug free though!

ShowOfHands Tue 05-Apr-16 18:15:50

I like it and drank lots in my pregnancies. It's supposed to be good for uterine efficiency and the 2nd stage. My first labour was 31hrs with an 8hr second stage and emcs. Second was 38hrs and, er, an emcs.

All anecdotal though. It's worth a shot.

Peppaismyhomegirl Tue 05-Apr-16 18:17:54

When should you start drinking it?

greenflame Tue 05-Apr-16 18:20:14

From about 36 weeks I think. I drank a lot of it too and had straightforward labours. But it's a really good source of iron so do drink it, preferably loose leaf.

Peppaismyhomegirl Tue 05-Apr-16 18:32:27

Ok great. I'll get some for then. Thank you

Everythinggettingbigger Tue 05-Apr-16 18:34:56

Just had my first cup and oh my God it's vile! I read from 32 weeks to start having 1 cup a day for the first few weeks then build up to 2, then 3!

I read about dates before too! Definitely worth a shot as you say as there are no negative side effects!

First labour was 56 hours with second stage pushing lasting only 10 mins and ending in episiotomy and forceps.....even if it helps me mentally it's got to be worth the dire taste!

MintyBojingles Tue 05-Apr-16 19:33:17

I took the tablets, as I think you have to drink a daft amount of the tea ;)

Hamsolo Tue 05-Apr-16 19:38:45

I enjoyed drinking it, but it did absolutely nothing. Emergency CS here...

Missingcaffeine Tue 05-Apr-16 22:03:55

I took 3 capsules a day from 36 weeks. Baby arrived at 39 weeks, 17 hour labour with just gas and air, TENS and pool.
Can't say labour was easy, but I had a textbook delivery and the pushing stage was definitely quick.

LomboDePorco Tue 05-Apr-16 22:07:52

I drank a cup or two a day from 37 weeks and had two "easy" deliveries. I don't know how much, if anything, was down to the tea but it's worth a shot!

Woodenmouse Tue 05-Apr-16 22:15:33

I didn't drink it with ds1 however he was 1 week early and I had a nice easy labour and quick birth.

I drank gallons of it with Ds2, he was 2 weeks late and I had the most painful labour and complicated birth!!

Sorry I'm not helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now