Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any meds out there that stopped your nausea?

(14 Posts)
MiniatureW Sat 02-Apr-16 20:39:09

Just that. I have pills that stop me throwing up but nothing that takes the feeling that I'm going to throw up away. I'm starting to get really depressed, I'm only 6 weeks and another 6 weeks of this will tip me over the edge. Can't stop crying sad

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Sat 02-Apr-16 20:45:16

Promethazine works well on nausea. thanks

TwistedThinking Sat 02-Apr-16 20:45:32

I got a prescription for cyclizine and they helped a lot.
Hope you feel better soon, morning sickness is crap flowers

53rdAndBird Sat 02-Apr-16 20:54:35

Cyclizine helped a bit for a while. Ondansetron helped more and for longer. Stemetil and metaclopramide didn't do much for me, but have helped others. Ended up on a combination of cyclizine and ondansetron which didn't take the nausea away, but at least got it down to a level where I could mostly function.

MiniatureW Sat 02-Apr-16 21:06:02

I'm on ondansetron but it's not taking the edge off at all. I'm struggling to get out of bed. I have a 1 yo DD who I struggle to look after plus a job where I can't even tell anyone cos I haven't got through my probation stage yet. We planned for this baby but now I feel like it's a massive mistake and I just want to feel okay. I'm struggling so much.

53rdAndBird Sat 02-Apr-16 21:28:54

I am pretty sure that your rights re: pregnancy in work (so, can't be discriminated against/disciplinary action taken against for pregnancy-related sickness) still hold during your probationary period, but that's worth looking into more.

Have you seen the Hyperemesis Support thread on here? There is a lot of helpful advice on that. www.pregnancysicknesssupport.org.uk are also great.

FWIW, I was sick the whole way through but the first 6-8 weeks were absolutely the worst - it did improve, it wasn't just the same level of hell the whole time. (And I had learned coping strategies and different med combinations later on which helped too - ondansetron on its own wasn't as good as ondansetron + cyclizine.)

lokahsamastah Sun 03-Apr-16 09:02:26

Please take PPs advice and join hyperemesis support thread/access pregnancy sickness support website. One of the symptoms/side effects of hg is feeling low and unable to cope. There are also groups on facebook which are 100% supportive. Feeling like you can't cope and that people don't understand is very isolating and lonely, and in my experience (now on my third hg pregnancy) can make the symptoms feel even worse. I also agree about asking doc for more meds. I'm on ondansetron, prochlorperazine and promethazine - the only combo that helps me keep anything down.

You can do this - but get some support, hg/severe nausea is horrible.

MiniatureW Sun 03-Apr-16 10:22:36

Don't think I can do this. I can't even get out of bed today. I just want it to stop and if it can't stop today then there is no hope....that's how i feel. I know it's crazy. My partner is very practical- he's just concentrating on looking after DD so I'm spending a lot of time on my own.

LiesMyParentsToldMe Sun 03-Apr-16 10:36:42

I really feel for you OP. Could you ask your GP for more/different combo of pills?

I had hg with dd2. I tried Stemitil, which just made me fall asleep. Then cyclizine, which just made me throw up more. In the end Odansetron and metaclopramide worked for me.

MiniatureW Sun 03-Apr-16 13:25:35

I feel like I'm going to do something stupid, it's that bad!

Greyhorses Sun 03-Apr-16 16:28:23

I also had this and felt horrendous. I cried for days and wanted the whole thing to end.

I took promethazine and it did help, although it didn't make it go away. It went on its own when I was 18 weeks pregnant.

You have my sympathy, i wouldnt wish it on anyone!

lokahsamastah Mon 04-Apr-16 09:05:41

MiniatureW how are you today?

Colabottle10 Mon 04-Apr-16 09:20:59

Nothing at all has stopped my nausea and I've been on ALL the drugs. The only thing that helps me at the minute is a combination of Cyclizine and ranitidine. My nausea is mainly caused by reflux and I have a constant feeling of a lump in my throat. The Ranitidine works on that, but only 50% of the time.

I'm 20+6

BikeRunSki Mon 04-Apr-16 09:29:59

I've sooo been there, second time with 2 yo DS to look after too. Sorry you're suffering, hyperemisis was the most from times of my life, awful, grim, grim, grim. I also had so dark thoughts.

I think I had every anti sickness drug going. Oral cyclizine did nothing for me. Avomine made me worse. Metoclopromide got me out of bed second time, but didn't take away the feeling of nausea. Stemitil worked in first pg, but not second.

The most effective drug was IV cyclizine, as an injection or drop in hospital. Sorry.

This website might help you Pregnancy Sickness Support

Re work: you can not be penalised or disciplined for pregnancy related sick leave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now