Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

No movement yet at nearly 24 weeks

(14 Posts)
Beansprout30 Sat 02-Apr-16 19:51:34

Getting a little worried as I haven't felt any kicks at all and I'm nearly 24 weeks. I called the maternity advice line and the midwife said not to worry as it could be position of baby plus anterior placenta. She said it wouldn't be a concern till at least 25 weeks.

This is my first baby, did anyone else not feel anything till this late? The only sensation I have felt is the sudden urge to pee and then it disappears just as quick so I'm guessing that's due to baby moving around?

Imnotaslimjim Sat 02-Apr-16 19:54:37

Have you been diagnosed with a anterior placenta? It really can cushion movements until they become proper thumps.

Beansprout30 Sat 02-Apr-16 19:57:29

Yes that's what sonographer advised when I had anomaly scan

Sanch1 Sat 02-Apr-16 20:12:26

I was told its an issue at 24 weeks. I'd probably call my midwife on monday in your position.

Beansprout30 Sat 02-Apr-16 20:16:47

Did you not feel anything till then sanch? Was everything ok?

Sanch1 Sat 02-Apr-16 20:20:54

Mine was 20 weeks, but I'd enquired about it the week before as i was worried. Ive had an anterior placenta both times and felt movement at 20 wks and 15 wks this time. Are you sure youve not felt anything. No pops, gurgles, flutters?

Beansprout30 Sat 02-Apr-16 20:26:44

Pretty sure I've not felt anything, perhaps the slightest pop but nothing obvious at all. Think I might ring the hospital tomorrow and see what they say

Colabottle10 Sat 02-Apr-16 20:27:10

I'm 20 weeks and haven't felt a thing yet. Scan showed placenta was between me and baby. My SIL didn't feel anything till 27 weeks. If you're concerned, speak to MW.

CityMole Sat 02-Apr-16 20:42:26

I didn't feel anything until 23/24 weeks (placenta fine, but introverted uterus which they said may be connected but maybe not) and even when I did start feeling flutters, it was 28, 29 weeks before they were regular or much to write home about. I've mentioned this to midwives and consultant at various stages and nobody has looked remotely concerned. All babies are different, and it's changes in patterns that need to be investigated.
If you're still worried next week then you should certainly seek a second opinion, but unless you have a real feeling of foreboding ( in which case, don't suffer- call them first thing) then try not to be too stressed about it. It's still early days for your wriggler.

kiki22 Sat 02-Apr-16 22:06:12

I think the feeling of needing to pee is movement, this pregnancy I have been getting kicks to the bladder sometimes a little sharp feeling down there like a little non painful stab, if I had not previously gone through the process of feeling kicks get stronger I would not have recognised it for movement at all. I remember being at my 20 week scan with my first having only felt a flutter or 2 but seeing the movement on screen and feeling at the same time put it together for me that I had actually been feeling more than I realised.

I would ask for a scan or book a private one for 25 weeks if you are feeling anxious.

AppleYumYum Sat 02-Apr-16 22:19:47

Don't worry, first time Mums usually don't feel/notice the movements as early as those having their second, third etc plus throw in an anterior placenta that really cushions the movement. As the baby gets bigger and stronger you'll feel them. Someone once told me that your womb has no nerves, you only feel a kick when the baby has kicked hard enough to touch one of your organs.

My first DC I had an anterior placenta and I felt nothing really until 24 weeks-ish, and even then only around the sides of my placenta.

Beansprout30 Sun 03-Apr-16 00:21:11

Thanks for the replies, have booked a private scan for next week to check heartbeat and movement for a bit of reassurance

novemberchild Sun 03-Apr-16 03:38:58

I was pretty underweight with my first and still only felt something at 21 weeks. It is actually quite easy to mistake for wind or indigestion at first.

Try not to worry - it's pretty normal tbh.

mrsmugoo Sun 03-Apr-16 13:21:39

I didn't feel this one until 24 weeks (anterior placenta). I'm 30 weeks now and getting very big strong movements.

With my first I felt him at 17 weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now