Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How long did your gtt results take?

(24 Posts)
bippitybopityboo Fri 01-Apr-16 14:04:59

I had the glucose tolerance test on Wednesday morning and the hospital said they would call me 'in the next few days' with my results if there are any concerns. Or if not I won't hear anything. Just wondering when I can breathe a sigh of relief, I'd rather they let you know either way!!

owl89 Fri 01-Apr-16 14:13:16

I had to call up the next day after 10 am to get my results. Good luck with your results smile

bippitybopityboo Fri 01-Apr-16 14:21:58

I may give them a call see if it's gone on my records. Thankyou!

babynumber3eek Fri 01-Apr-16 14:27:32

Mine were back the next day and positive. No one phoned me, possibly as I had a midwife appointment that day anyway- although I might be assuming that things are a bit more joined up than they actually are!!!wink

MiniLop Fri 01-Apr-16 14:28:51

I had mine done on a Wednesday lunchtime and the results were available for the midwife to look at in my appointment on the Friday morning. All clear thankfully! Good luck!

3luckystars Fri 01-Apr-16 14:46:21

What happens if you get a positive? Just wondering do they just recommend a change of diet or bring you in for further tests?

I have a GTT test in the next 2 weeks and have never had one before. My sister had diabetes, and said they don't allow you drink Lucozade during the test anymore but horrible green fluid and they told her if she puked it up, she would have to start again! It sounds really awful!!

bippitybopityboo Fri 01-Apr-16 14:47:16

I have just called my doctor and they haven't got the results. I don't have a midwife appointment untill next month. sad

bippitybopityboo Fri 01-Apr-16 14:49:55

I went for 8.30 and they took blood I drank a pouch of this sweet orange flavoured drink and then had to wait 2 hours and they took my blood again I could drink one cup of water between bloods. The worst part was the waiting as they said I couldn't walk around or burn calories as this affected the test. Take a book or some magazines it's not too bad. Can't advise in the results as I'm trying to get mine now ☺

MrsGlam Fri 01-Apr-16 15:02:48

I had mine a few hours later..If it's positive you will speak to the diabetic nurses who will give you a testing machine you have to test your levels several times a day and if they are happy you can control it with food they put it down to 4 times a day.. if it's not being controlled you get put on Metformin and if that doesn't work you go on Insulin.

3luckystars Fri 01-Apr-16 15:04:35

Oh, thanks for the info, I hope you get good results now!

babynumber3eek Fri 01-Apr-16 15:11:07

Sorry to contradict a previous poster, but what happens if positive varies wildly around the country. It depends on Trust policy and your own results.

For me, I tested with high levels and was put straight on insulin. If my levels were lower and I wasn't so ill with it then they'd have let me try diet control first and they may have tried metformin but not all Trusts do... The number of times a day you test also depends on your Trust policy and certainly doesn't always go down. I'm testing 7-10 times a day depending on when I'm driving (have to be over 5 to drive on insulin ) but others I know of test less.

Hope that helps.

makingmiracles Fri 01-Apr-16 15:14:49

Just been through this, fluffed it up the first time as I get up at half five and forgot and had literally a sip of a cup of tea, was also told not to eat or drink from midnight, when actually it should be for about 12 hrs before so 10pm the night before. Anyhow it came back over the limits and was told I have gdm.
What happened next was appts at hospital to see diabetic team, consultant and growth scan.
I admitted to my midwife what I'd done in regards to sipping some tea and she agreed I could re do it, I ate nothing from 9pm the night before and made sure I drank plenty of water the morning of the gtt( dehydration can raise blood sugars) and thankfully results came back as 4.7 so much lower than the cut off. I didn't rest between the two bloods, just carried on with normal housework and wasn't told I had to restrict water intake either- just not to drink anything other than water and not to eat.

The experience at hospital I have to say was horrific, you are all lumped into the same high risk group regardless of whether you are diet controlled or insulin controlled. We were given blood monitors and told to test about 6 times a day and record results. The consultant filled me with fear over talk of having electrode scalp monitoring for the baby, the possibility of having to be attached to a drip, that the baby may have to be force fed formula to raise its blood sugars after birth and the fact it may have to stay in scbu for up to a week.
The implications are huge and I was sooo relieved when my second test came back within normal range!

bippitybopityboo Fri 01-Apr-16 15:47:17

its worrying, i want to eat right asap if i have it and get advice on whats good and whats not! im just assuming no news is good news!

babynumber3eek Fri 01-Apr-16 16:16:03

Drinking lots of water and doing 'normal housework ' could actually mask a GD positive reading... Surely it is better to be tested and diagnosed rather than skewing the readings to negative? Not every experience of consultants is like that at all - mine have been superb - but if the baby NEEDS intervention then I'd rather they had it than risk the unthinkable which is MUCH more likely when GD is undiagnosed.

Sorry OP - I'm sure you'll find out your result soon and IF you have GD then there is plenty of support out there from multiple sources to ensure that you and baby stay healthy. The essence of a GD diet is low carbs (but certainly NOT no carbs as this causes ketones ) and high protein. Obviously trying to avoid sugar etc.

I'm sorry, I get a little tetchy around people wanting to 'deny' GD when identifying it can be life saving.

HappyInL0nd0n Fri 01-Apr-16 16:27:34

Hey. Just to add my experience to the mix, which was positive.

No eating from 10pm the night before, nothing but water to drink. Went in for 8am, was given a bottle of Lucozade to drink, sat in the waiting area for 2 hours reading the paper (while baby did cartwheels of joy constantly at having such a sugary breakfast grin), then went in and had blood drawn.

Results were back within days. I was told I would get a call if there was an issue. There wasn't, so I didn't get one, but this was confirmed by my midwife at my appointment the following week.

All very stress free. Good luck, OP.

makingmiracles Fri 01-Apr-16 16:31:52

How is that denying it? And for your info people are told not to do exercise etc as it can make blood sugar levels rise in the short term, not fall! So if anything, by doing normal housework it should of raised the result not lowered it!
I drink very little usually so in the first test I was probably dehydrated which would of made the reading higher too.

At the end of the day there is no way to trick the test, it will either tell you you have it, or you don't, but making sure you get a fair result by keeping well hydrated, trying not to get stressed before the test, ensuring you get a good nights sleep, not smoking etc etc will all help to get a true reading.

Also I found it shocking how "out" the monitoring strips are- 5mins before the first blood test I did it and 5mins before the last test and my numbers were 3.7 on glucose monitor, but 4.5 on the blood test and 6.7 before the second but 4.7 on the blood test, that's quite some inaccuracy!

Btw I found it was a lot more involved than "just low carbing" and no sugar, it really requires some serious reading up on stuff as normal foods that are reasonably healthy can shoot up your blood sugars like white pasta, white rice, pretty much every cereal out there(bran has the lowest gi). We were told at the diabetic clinic to watch the glycemic index of foods but to not get too obsessed with it and to ensure all meals contained a small amount of low gi carbs.

I have a new found respect for diabetics now as its not straightforward or easy in the slightest!

Katarzyna79 Fri 01-Apr-16 16:32:16

OP relax I think you're getting too anxious most likely you will have passed the test otherwise they would have called you. I had to see my midwife 1 week after the test that's when she told me it was fine. But the hospital told me the same as they told you if there is an issue they'd call or your GP or midwife will they wont leave you waiting a month until your midwife appointment. I'd call gp after 3-4 days to see if they have your results other than that definitely should be through in 1 week.

Before the GTT test was just done on ethnic minorities my midwife told me, now apparently all women have to have it. I didn tmind it so much when it was a glass of Lucozade now its a cup of nasty thick gloopy orange syrup it tasted so bad on an empty stomach. Worst part nurse said I wasn't allowed to go off site for 2 hrs I wasn't going to eat anyway sitting there I felt worse.

babynumber3eek Fri 01-Apr-16 16:50:55

I'm sorry making miracles but you are wrong regarding exercise - many women with diet controlled GD can keep their levels under target with the addition of going for a waddle and drinking plenty of water. Washes out sugars and burns them off. I did say the basics of a GD diet were as stated - obviously as you've cured yours you are by far the most informed hmm

babynumber3eek Fri 01-Apr-16 16:51:45

P'S. Those foods you've mentioned - all high carbs...

bippitybopityboo Fri 01-Apr-16 17:54:53

Thankyou ladies! I think you're right I just worry as I have been reading about how dangerous undiagnosed GD can be! I also saw that alot of ladies have seen that their blood sugars have been high so have done exercise to bring them down again but that might just mean everyone is different!
I'm assuming I won't get at call over the weekend so will try docs again next week if I hear nothing smile

makingmiracles Fri 01-Apr-16 23:21:00

Yes that was my point lol white pasta, white rice, all high glycemic index carbs. The best are whole grain/wholewheat. And I beg to differ on the excercise thing, go on any diabetic forum and people will all say the same, that excercise initially makes blood sugar rise as it "stresses" the body, over time regular excercise can lower blood sugars but initially immediately after it tends to raise them. biscuit

Bringmewineandcake Fri 01-Apr-16 23:24:53

I had mine this week and had to drink 500ml of lucozade. Had a call 4 hours after the 2nd blood test with the result (positive) and have to go back next week to discuss. I was only just over the limit so hoping diet will be sufficient to manage it.

MrsGlam Fri 01-Apr-16 23:26:35

I was told to restrict water in the morning and I had to sit down and not walk around after the test.
You could of actually effected the test results.
Undiagnosed GD is not something you want..
Sorry for earlier post that is what my trust does because my result was borderline.
Of course if your well over they may change the treatment plan but that's my experiencesmile

makingmiracles Fri 01-Apr-16 23:35:02

Sounds like you get told different things round the country as to instructions for the GTT. bit of a postcode lottery it seems!

Nhs itself says nothing about not being allowed to drink water before or during the test! www.uhs.nhs.uk/Media/Controlleddocuments/Patientinformation/Pregnancyandbirth/Glucosetolerancetestpatientinformation.pdf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now