Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Doctors want extra urine test but not sure why?

(7 Posts)
LolaStarr Thu 31-Mar-16 12:25:32

I'm 9 weeks and 5 days pregnant, and I had my booking in appointment and an early scan last week. I just had a phone call from my doctors saying the GP wants an extra urine sample from me next week but the receptionist wasn't sure why. Any ideas why this could be? I had a late miscarriage at 21 weeks last year so I've been an absolute nervous wreck since I found out I was pregnant, and this has really worried me!

kiki22 Thu 31-Mar-16 12:42:59

I'm not sure why but if it was something bad they would be asking you back in to talk it through, it could be an accident with the sample or something. I would call them back and ask to speak to the GP about it tell them your now very anxious, your completely within your rights to know why they are asking for samples.

loosechange Thu 31-Mar-16 12:48:14

Could just be debris (bits) in the sample, which can come from your skin, but they will want to know you don't have an infection.

claireL1991 Thu 31-Mar-16 12:50:33

They will be checking for glucose, protein and urine infections.
I'm sure if they thought it was anything serious they would have called you back in.
If you're worried then as above said, ring and ask to speak to the gp x

Artioo2 Thu 31-Mar-16 13:40:47

I had this after a midwife appointment. The sample results had come back with 'mixed growth' or something, which could indicate a urine infection, but they got me to redo the sample and it was clear. Samples can get contaminated by bacteria on the skin and so on, as a pp said. It's likely to be nothing to worry about.

percythepenguin Thu 31-Mar-16 15:09:00

I was just going to say the same of Artioo2, it's likely to have shown mixed growth which is usually contamination but they'll want to rule out infection. If you get a mid stream sample it will reduce the chances contamination!

LolaStarr Thu 31-Mar-16 16:02:56

Thanks for the replies, I feel better now! I keep panicking over the silliest little things blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now