Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I need advice / help / knowledge.....

(9 Posts)
mrsjellyfish Wed 30-Mar-16 22:10:30

I'm around 4 weeks pregnant - I think due to super duper accurate test. I married my Dh around 5 weeks ago. I am absolutely stoked about the baby but I have some concerns. As we weren't planning to conceive I have continued to drink.....on wedding day and fairly heavily afterwards. I'm so lost in thought that if I continue I may have harmed the baby or is this natural (to a degree: appreciate I was in wedded bliss and drank more than normal) that in the first weeks you continue as normal..... Unless you are trying to conceive?

mrsjellyfish Wed 30-Mar-16 22:12:17

think I have posted on wrong forum - so sorry if so.

OwlinaTree Wed 30-Mar-16 22:13:37

Most people would say they've had a drink in the early days. I got pg round Xmas one year and didn't realise till well after new year! This time i'd been on a big night out and then found out the week after. The baby is so so tiny in those early stages, I really shouldn't worry.

BiscuitMillionaire Wed 30-Mar-16 22:16:09

OP, don't worry. Many many mothers don't learn that they're pregnant until later than 4 weeks, many babies are conceived as a result of drunken sex. As long as you don't continue to drink alcohol throughout the rest of the pregnancy your LO should be fine.

And congratulations!

Artioo2 Wed 30-Mar-16 23:07:13

If you're 4 weeks pregnant and you got married 5 weeks ago, then you can write off the first couple of weeks of drinking completely - you hadn't conceived for part of it, and the embryo wasn't connected to your blood stream for another part of it. And even after that, we're talking an amazing ball of cells that's constantly regenerating and replacing bits of itself at this early stage.

Also bear in mind that those tests that appear to be super-duper accurate because they have fancy digital displays in fact aren't that accurate about dates, so you could be not quite as far along as it says.

Either way, there's no need to worry, you won't have harmed the baby. I may have misunderstood your post, but if you're considering not continuing the pregnancy just because of this worry, that would be crazy, you've done no harm. Ask your GP at your first appointment, I'm sure they'll say the same thing.

bippitybopityboo Thu 31-Mar-16 06:26:32

I was married on 17th october and from our scan calculations conceived on 21st. Conceived during our honeymoon which obviously involved lots of alcohol. I'm pretty sure for the first 2 weeks after conception baby doesn't share your blood supply and uses hormones to develop anyway and you have found our pretty early and I'd you stopped drinking straight away I think you'll be fine. I wouldn't worry your self too much try and enjoy your pregnancy. Congratulations flowers

mscherryviolet Thu 31-Mar-16 08:35:05

Aw don't worry I think 99% of mothers have done this. At that early and not even knowing your pregnant there is nothing wrong with it just as long as you look after yourself from now things will be fine!
When I discovered I was pregnant I was 12 weeks! And before that it had been my birthday and I had gotten a bit tipply blush but at 39+1 now and my bab is very healthy
Good luck!

Everythinggettingbigger Thu 31-Mar-16 13:50:16

I thought I was on the 4th day of a very severe hangover from DPs birthday celebrations......nope....morning sickness!

TheCrumpettyTree Thu 31-Mar-16 14:49:17

I got pregnant on honeymoon and did exactly the same thing. Ds is now 4 and fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now