Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Swelling outside vagina - vein?

(14 Posts)
cocothomas1234 Wed 30-Mar-16 19:21:16

Sorry for the TMI ladies but just want to see if anyone else has had this! I'm currently 24 weeks and about a week ago when I wiped from a pee I felt a bit swollen on the left hand side. I took a mirror to it and there's a very fleshy swelling on the left side in-between my vagina and my thigh. It's not got any colour to it and is very soft. It comes out huge when I go to the toilet or even if I've been on my feet for a while and then when I wake in the morning it's virtually non-existent. I went to the GP yesterday and she said it's a vein which is swelling from the pressure from the baby. She said I just need to make the midwife etc aware incase it gets in the way during labour. She did warm me as I have a few months to go it will get worse before it (hopefully) gets better after the birth. This is my second and I didn't have it before, has anyone else had this?? I've googled online but it seems virtually non-existent. I'd just like to see if anyone else on here has had it and what their experiences were / reliefs if they had any complications from it. I already have to put pressure on it when I go for a number 2 as it feels like it's going to just explode otherwise!

LimesMum Wed 30-Mar-16 22:16:19

I've actually posted something today but no replies yet and so has another Mum about varicose veins in that area.

Obviously yours may not be but sounds like how mine started off and it's now full blown varicose veins /bunches of huge grapes!! Sorry TMI I know!!

I never had this at all in my first pregnancy, apparently it's more common in the second and subsequent pregnancies

Really hope it goes after birth!!!!

sophUK Thu 31-Mar-16 11:42:12

Just copying this from another post I wrote on yesterday:

"I have this problem too - it's awful! I'm 30 weeks and first pregnancy. It get's much worse when I'm on my feet and at the end of the day. Also swells up really bad towards the end of the day.
Doc said there isn't much I can do about it apart from rest with my feet up. She suggested I work at home more often to reduce the time spent on my feet/commuting. Midwife said put a bag of ice on it!
Apart from that I've been told not much else I can do sad"

For my 31 week appointment I have to go to the hospital instead of midwife so that they can take a proper look!

mono3 Thu 31-Mar-16 11:49:57

I had this with my third pregnancy and other than the uncomfortable feeling during pregnancy I had no issues with it. It did not interfere with the labour or birth at all and disappeared afterwards. Rest does seem to be the best thing to keep swelling at a minimum so feet up - if you can!

I think it is fairly common - Google vulvar varicose veins and there is lots of info.

melissa87 Thu 31-Mar-16 17:02:13

Yes! I had this in my first pregnancy don't think it started to probably after 30 weeks and went away completely after birth. Thank god. I am know pregnant again and have noticed slight swelling prob from about 15 weeks. Some days are worst than others! Try not to worry it's just increased blood around the body. Although it definitely not very attractive to look at lol

dynevoran Thu 31-Mar-16 17:03:34

Yes I had this in my second one and it caused no problems and went away straight after delivery.

kaymondo Thu 31-Mar-16 17:32:40

Yep I had this with no 2 - went away after birth (c section for unrelated reasons). Didn't have it with no 1 and currently 28 weeks with no 3 - so far so good, keeping fingers crossed it doesn't come back!

helzapoppin2 Thu 31-Mar-16 17:36:59

It could be a Bartholins cyst. That is a blocked duct that creates a swelling in precisely that place.

Footle Thu 31-Mar-16 17:51:33

I had a bad one in my third pregnancy but not in my fourth, which was odd. The midwife told me to wear an old fashioned thick, soft sanitary towel ( this was back in the Middle Ages ) and it really helped support it so it hurt less. A well-wrapped bag of frozen peas helped too. It didn't interfere with the birth.

Footle Thu 31-Mar-16 17:52:21

I mean the vein didn't interfere with the birth. I had removed the frozen peas.

HarlotBronte Thu 31-Mar-16 19:35:11

I had one at one point in one of my pregnancies, can't remember which. It went away after a couple of weeks.

franyb Tue 26-Apr-16 19:18:52

So relieved to read these posts as have just discovered that I also have a varicose vein on my labia- was so shocked as had never heard of them happening there! I felt a swelling this morning and thought might be an ingrowing hair but is definitely a rather large vein and is disgusting! Am 30 weeks with second baby - dreading what will be like by the end! And really hope it goes afterwards... Another lady posted about a groin support you can get - have asked for more info as it's an American product. Will report back if it helps... Unfortunately my somewhat extensive googling also brought up some story of a poor woman whose veins got so big they burst... Can only imagine horror of that and hope it's quite rare!

LimesMum Fri 29-Apr-16 23:23:54

It's called the v2 supporter maternity belt

I would not be able to work without this as have a very active job

It's been a life saver

NewStartNewName Fri 29-Apr-16 23:28:01

I had this with DS2, the burning pain was unbearable when standing for more than a few minutes (had a dick of a boss who wasn't keen on giving me a chair!). It all returned to normal after a quick straight forward birth. On DS3 I had a few aches but no swelling. All is fine now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now