Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

hospital bag - baby's items

(7 Posts)
Autumn2014 Tue 29-Mar-16 15:34:29

I've had a hospital bag packed for me for weeks, due to a previous pre term delivery. I'm now ready to pack a bag for baby as if it's delivered now then we will be hopefully having a baby that will need clothes etc. So far got nappies and clothes on list. Anything else, and need to know quantities too.

Everythinggettingbigger Tue 29-Mar-16 15:47:59

how early are we talking? im not sure if it would be different for a very early baby?

Hospital advised me during a tour of their maternity services, 8 babygrows/all in ones and 8 vests/bodysuits, a couple of cardigans and a hat. Pack of nappies, bibs and cotton wool balls and that was it. My hospital provides milk if not breastfeeding but obviously if you are bottle feeding and yours doesn't you would need that too.

I am also taking in one of my own blankets but they did say they would provide blankets. We are welcome to use their baby bathing facilities so could bring towel etc in but again they do also provide this.

As for sizes it depends, my first DS was full term, 40+5, and was 6lb 11oz and wearing tiny baby, anything bigger than this swamped him so I have ready this time, 4 tiny baby, 2 new baby and 2 up to 1 month as obviously we don't know if this one will be around the same size, bigger or smaller!

OwlinaTree Wed 30-Mar-16 07:50:16

Don't forget lansinoh if you are breast feeding.

nehagarg Wed 30-Mar-16 08:22:00

I plan to pack these in my bag. But i will leave another bag at home packed with more stuff (for me and baby) in case its not a straightforward birth and we have to stay in. Makes it easier for DH to nip back home and get a prepacked bag instead of fumble around trying to gather things, half of which he will forget. smile

Nappies 12 per day
Water wipes - 1 pack
3 sleepsuits
3 vests
Blanket
Muslins
Hat
Car seat
Cardigan
Mittens
Coconut oil for nipples

AlfieandAnnieRose Wed 30-Mar-16 10:01:03

nehagarg could you leave the spare bag in the car, if you're going by car that is? I'm planning to do this and leave extra nappies and clothes in the car.

What kind of bags are people using? I didn't want to bring a small suitcase as it seemed too much but I'm struggling to fit everything in a rucksack!

Everythinggettingbigger Wed 30-Mar-16 10:16:48

i will be taking a small hand luggage size suitcase, plus the babys bag. but I will be leaving an extra bag in the car like you Alfie with spares, I ran out of everything when DS was born so being more prepared this time!

nehagarg Wed 30-Mar-16 10:42:47

Nope. London living means we don't have a car for now but we dont live far from the hospital so should be okay for DH to pop back home. smile .. Car is a better idea than home, if you have one, for sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now