Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Was your second baby early too?

(13 Posts)
Trace38 Tue 29-Mar-16 08:33:21

My DD arrived at 34+6 for no apparent reason. Would I be under a consultant if I got pregnant again and is it likely my second baby would be early too? Just wondering if others have been in a similar position.

Alohamora Tue 29-Mar-16 08:37:05

My DS1 arrived at 35 weeks and DS2 at 40+2 smile. I was under consultant care because of DS1 but all was well.

Trace38 Tue 29-Mar-16 08:39:58

Thank you for replying that's great to see. With the consultant care were you scanned more regularly or was it much the same as your first?

Annabrooke90 Tue 29-Mar-16 08:59:44

Hi, I've been wondering the same thing, although I'm not on my second, I'm currently pregnant with my 5th. My 4th was born at 34 weeks for no reason and I'd been in slow labour since 29 weeks but no one would take me seriously and just say it is because it is your 4th hmm it just felt like my body started to give up and couldn't take no more. I fell pregnant with this baby 8 months later (big shock). I have been put under shared care so midwives and consultant for a few reasons, PPH and last baby being prem. So I assume you would get consultant care too.

Belleboo23 Tue 29-Mar-16 09:14:08

My first was 35 weeks, had concerns on my second but nothing looked at then my 2nd was born at 34+4. Both unexplained, I'm currently 28 weeks with my third and under consultant. Have already had an internal scan on my cervix at 22 weeks which was normal will be scanned again at 31 weeks when she says they will be able to see if any change and if another early one likely.

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Tue 29-Mar-16 09:19:42

My first was born at 35 weeks for no apparent reason.

With dc2 I saw a consultant at 20 weeks who scanned my cervix (internal scan with a dildo cam but not uncomfortable). My cervix was declared to be normal and I was signed off back to midwife led care.

Ds was born at 38 weeks. My labour did start the same way as first time around, with my waters breaking before having any contractions.

neolara Tue 29-Mar-16 09:22:20

First arrived at 37 + 3, second at 36 +6 but third was only a few days off 40 weeks.

Branleuse Tue 29-Mar-16 09:33:21

dc1 was born at 35 weeks, dc2 at 40+4, and dc3 at 38weeks

MrsJayy Tue 29-Mar-16 09:45:41

I have kidney problems so I was ^high risk^and kidney infections caused contractions and labours were stopped so a bit different I had baby 1 at 36 weeks and baby 2 at 35 weeks you probably would be monitored a bit more closely

Alohamora Tue 29-Mar-16 13:06:25

Sorry, was at work.

Care was exactly the same no extra checks or anything.

Trace38 Tue 29-Mar-16 18:37:37

Thanks everyone. Reassuring read! Not ready for number two yet buf wondering... smile

MrsSparkles Tue 29-Mar-16 22:10:03

First baby at 36 weeks. Currently 30 weeks with number 2, I was referred to the consultant but as there was no apparent reason last time, and I have no risk factors I was sent straight back to the midwife (I was in with the consultant for under 5 mins).

We'll soon see if this one can't wait too!

Belleboo23 Tue 29-Mar-16 22:27:51

I'm sure my consultant said there's a cut off and delivering no 2 at 34+4 I was just within it which is why I'm being monitored this time and wasnt last time. But each hospital is probably different

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now