Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Washing all the baby stuff

(48 Posts)
socktastic Sun 27-Mar-16 09:36:06

Had mentioned to a friend the other day about the baby stuff I'd been buying and it came up in conversation that I was going to wash all the clothes and sheets etc first before baby came along. She looked at me like I was mad wasting my time doing all that.
What does everyone else do? I want to know that my baby's stuff is properly clean before he uses it.
Or am I going ott?

Sunshine511 Sun 27-Mar-16 09:41:04

I don't think you're crazy at all! With my first, it didn't cross my mind to wash the new clothes and no one mentioned it to me, so I didn't. And she was perfectly fine. I don't think it's OTT at all though. It makes perfect sense as I suppose you can't be certain where the items have been and what they may have been exposed to in warehouses etc. I'm sure if you don't wash them, your baby will be just fine but if you choose to, then I think that's perfectly reasonable.

seven201 Sun 27-Mar-16 09:49:44

I'm going to wash ours.

fourage Sun 27-Mar-16 09:55:34

I wash it. New clothes often have starch in them which makes them look good for display but a bit stiff for babies skin. They have also been handled by machinists, and made in a workshop perhaps with fabric dust flying about.
I like to imprint baby's clothes with the family feel and smell.

frikadela01 Sun 27-Mar-16 09:56:09

I'm not bothering mainly because I just don't have the time. I do however understand why some people wash everything... Each to their own I say

dlwelly Sun 27-Mar-16 09:56:26

Yes we washed all of ours! Makes the muslins go nice and soft too!

MaisieDotes Sun 27-Mar-16 09:58:10

Someone on a previous similar thread said that garments can be handled by up to 60 people before they are bought.

Also they have some sort of starch on them when new which is best to wash out before the baby wears it.

seven201 Sun 27-Mar-16 10:01:10

I wash all new clothes, not just baby stuff.

fourage Sun 27-Mar-16 10:02:21

Plus it's fun!

Such a lovely little job when you are pregnant. I remember hanging out all my little baby things outside to dry in a soft breeze, daydreaming about the arrival of my sweet little bundle, Who would her or she look like, thinking about the little tiny toes, imagining all the cuddles, the lovely new baby smell.
Not a chore in my book.

Earlyday Sun 27-Mar-16 10:56:52

I didn't bother with DS1 and DS2. It didn't occur to me and it wasn't an issue anyway - they didn't have sensitive skin. I won't bother for my next baby either.

Artandco Sun 27-Mar-16 11:02:08

Always wash here. New things often have dye residue or starch on them still. Plus they are often handled by many people in making process, then again in store, then fall on floor etc in store.

It's one or two quick washes. Might as well. If you haven't time now, how will you have time to wash when baby is here pooing on them

spacefrog35 Sun 27-Mar-16 11:07:10

So much nicer when they've been washed & smell all clean rather than 'shoppy'.

I haven't washed everything because I'm a bit superstitious but I've washed enough to see us through for a few days and then we will see where we are (& what I can be bothered to do) once she's home safe. smile

doleritedinosaur Sun 27-Mar-16 11:10:32

I worked in a high street clothes retail.

I washed the clothes purely because if it falls on the stockroom floor it's dirty & dusty.

I get that not everyone has time.
I had massive cleaning hormones as well though so it definitely gave me something to do.

LumpishAndIllogical Sun 27-Mar-16 11:33:09

Some of my baby clothes say ' wash before use' on labels so will probably wash them all. However I didn't do it with first as we had no washing machine at the time!

Fourage I like the idea of imprint with the family smell.

It will only take me two washes then all in tumble dryer

Isaidboomboomboom Sun 27-Mar-16 11:40:01

Started washing baby clothes yesterday (though it was dd's stuff which has been in the loft for the past 9 years). Will be washing the brand new stuff as well - love how it all smells of 'baby' now as I only ever buy Fairy for baby clothes!! Can't stop going in the spare room (nursery - must get used to the loss of a spare room!) and looking at and sniffing all the dinky things smile

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Sun 27-Mar-16 11:43:52

I washed all the baby clothes first. Like another poster I loved the sight of all the teeny little sleep suits and vests hanging on the line!

2ManySweets Sun 27-Mar-16 11:43:58

I washed 90% of the baby clothes pre baby (forgot the other 10%). This is very unlike me as I'm a great friend to germs and abhor neurotic contamination phobics but I think it's good idea to be super sure everything IS clean and IS soft.

Aldi's baby washing liquid and conditioner is fab. Do NOT use Ecover (irritating to babies apparently) x

Wolfiefan Sun 27-Mar-16 11:45:19

Wash them.
My eldest had eczema. As a younger child I once put him in a top I hadn't washed first. It caused a horrid reaction.

frikadela01 Sun 27-Mar-16 11:47:57

I don't have time now because I'm working in excess of 50 hours a week to save for when I'm off and it's not just washing it's then pegging it all out and ironing it all. I might wash some when I start maternity though.

fourage Sun 27-Mar-16 12:16:32

What's an iron?

Pinkheart5915 Sun 27-Mar-16 12:19:38

I washed them all when I had ds and I have for my current pregnancy too.

katienana Sun 27-Mar-16 12:20:22

I'm going to wash mine this week. New stuff to get the chemicals off and clothes worn by ds to freshen them up. It's a nice job. Probably won't be ironing though!

frikadela01 Sun 27-Mar-16 12:50:42

What's an iron?

I would normally be asking this but I can't bear to see babies in creased clothes. My own clothes haven't seen an iron in an absolute age though grin

Artandco Sun 27-Mar-16 13:07:19

Sure, but 50 hrs a week work leaves a lot of free time. 144 hrs with a baby leaves less

frikadela01 Sun 27-Mar-16 13:15:07

144 hours at home with my supportive partner. My sisters have had 2 kids a piece only 3 years apart.the latest one feeds every single hour and has done for the 4 months she's been born yet she still manages to get stuff done around the house. Im not trying to be argumentative but I really don't buy into the idea that every new mum spends every single waking hour attending to a baby and not have time to do anything else at all (obviously there are exceptions but they're exactly that). Anyway sorry for the derail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now