Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Confused about antenatal appointments - freaking myself out a bit!

(21 Posts)
GashleyCrumbTiny Sat 26-Mar-16 17:25:19

Currently 12+5 with my first. Had my booking in appointment at about 9 weeks, dating scan at 11+3. That all seemed to go fine and have had a letter re: Downs screening to say we're low risk. I have another midwife appointment booked in a couple of weeks (so when I'll be about 14-15 weeks), next scan booked for May (when I'll be 21 weeks).

I was expecting all of that, but got a letter this morning saying I've been referred to an antenatal clinic at the hospital, and have an appointment there for when I'll be about 17 weeks. Anyone any idea what this is for? All the other appointments seem to fit with the guidelines on various websites I've read, but this seems to be a weird extra one. I'm freaking myself out that it means something is wrong. I've been told I need anti-D injections but that seems to be something very straightforward and dealt with much later. Not aware of anything else that would require extra attention.

Anyone any ideas? I'm probably overthinking it, and should just be grateful I'm getting more attention rather than less, but I've got myself in a tizzy that I've been referred because there is some bad news. Anyone else had an extra appointment between the two scans, additional to the one with the midwife?

Apologies for essay!

Pinklily1 Sat 26-Mar-16 17:29:43

Hi Gashley, if there was a reason other than the ant-D injections, I would have expected your midwife to phone you and let you know. I had to have extra appointments (for nothing serious) but my midwife called me in advance of the letter coming to warn me. I'd give your midwife a call if I were you.

Superwormissuperstrong Sat 26-Mar-16 17:33:31

Just phone up and ask, rather than torture yourself till the appointment?
I got 2 unexpected appointment letters from the hospital (for 28 and 34 weeks) and was a bit upset because I thought they were trying to replace my nice midwife appointments at the local surgery (same lady every time) with a random midwife on shift at the far away hospital.
Was easily explained though and I wasn't losing my friendly local appointments. (In fact I had crossed an age threshold and because I'm 40 I was being given 2 extra growth scans so I get to see my baby a couple of extra times and they can check growth is as expected)
The only thing I recall from approximately that point was could it be related to gestational diabetes - if you have any of the family history or BMI markers isn't it about then that they can try a glucose tolerance test to see how your body is dealing with sugar?

GashleyCrumbTiny Sat 26-Mar-16 17:51:33

Thank you. Will call docs on Tuesday but the letter only arrived this morning, so I've got a three day weekend to work myself up over!

I'm 33, no family history of gestational diabetes, and BMI is about 22, so probably nothing to do with that - unless it's something they test from the blood samples?

Nan0second Sat 26-Mar-16 17:54:06

Any history of illness in you? Asthma? Kidney infections? Depression? Sometimes it's you they need to see at the hospital just in case things get worse during pregnancy...

Sophia1984 Sat 26-Mar-16 17:56:08

Could it be that they've double-booked your 16 week(ish) appointment? Can you look through your notes and see if the midwife has written anything there? IF you're really worried, you could ring the antenatal clinic at the hospital - they'll be open I think.

I'm sure it's nothing - I really don't think they realise the impact of little things like this!

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 26-Mar-16 17:57:26

Have you got any sort of health condition, on any medication?

Superwormissuperstrong Sat 26-Mar-16 17:58:31

If its from the hospital then I would try the number anyway. May not be able to help or be an answerphone (maybe tomorrow rather than now as its nearly 6) but worth a try and probably better than google or us suggesting all sorts of things which is what I think you were trying to avoid anyway!!! good luck - hopefully its just something routine....

eternalopt Sat 26-Mar-16 18:00:34

If it was a glucose test though, you'd be told as you need to fast before the appointment etc..

I wouldn't worry. I had all sorts of appointments during my pregnancies. In fairness, the nhs care is superb once you're knocked up! They take no chances and check everything! Could be something as simple as discussion of your BMI /blood pressure if either slightly high or slightly low.

Are you consultant led? If so, we have appointments with the consultant unit around 17 weeks in our area

There's not an awful lot they check on baby until the 20 week scan and they haven't called you back that quickly, so don't worry that there's anything wrong.

I'm sure your midwife can put your mind at rest come Tuesday

Northernlurker Sat 26-Mar-16 18:01:07

I would guess it's a consultant appointment to talk through the anti-d. No need to worry, you'd know if something was wrong

eternalopt Sat 26-Mar-16 18:02:54

Crossed posted. Your BMI is fine wish mine was 22!

GashleyCrumbTiny Sat 26-Mar-16 18:04:06

No health conditions or medication currently - which is why I'm stumped. Can't think of why I'd get flagged for anything extra. I was on anti-depressants for a few months a couple of years ago, so could be that.

I'll phone tomorrow. Didn't occur to me to call the hospital rather than doctors. <Clueless newbie alert!> I'll give myself a talking to and ask for the actual answer tomorrow. Thanks all!

Arborea Sat 26-Mar-16 18:12:53

It could just be a duplicate appointment: I got a duplicate scan appointment, contacted the hospital who confirmed it was a mistake and just turned up for the earlier (original) date.

squeezed Sat 26-Mar-16 18:18:29

I had a vague letter that was to do with a consultant appointment due to previous depression. I had to phone to see what it was about because it didn't give the reasons so I was a bit confused. I had a chat with the consultant and was discharged back to Midwife care.

Pantone363 Sat 26-Mar-16 18:21:50

I had a birth choices appt around this time (where to give birth type thing)

And a 16 week blood test

outputgap Sat 26-Mar-16 18:28:14

Everyone at my hospital has a gestational diabetes appointment and this wasn't the case 2ish years ago when I had my last.

GashleyCrumbTiny Sat 26-Mar-16 19:16:39

Sqeezed It's very vague! Literally just says "you've been referred to us for an appointment", nothing else other than time and place. Sounds like that might be the most likely. Anyone else hsd similar at about this point with previous anti-depressants?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 26-Mar-16 19:50:07

Yes, it'll be the previous anti depressants. Ticks a box on the mental health assessment to put you under consultant care. Doesn't have any implication for you, especially if you're not currently taking medication. The consultant will just want to ask how you are and advise you that if you feel low at any point to seek help. And that will be that.

Sadly suicide is one of the top leading causes of direct maternal deaths so care pathways are very cautious now with anyone with any history of depression, etc.

squeezed Sun 27-Mar-16 08:31:44

Sounds like the letter I had. I knew I was being referred and it still confused me. Midwife referred me and I'd been more than 4 years off medication. I should have been referred in the first pregnancy but wasn't. I found the consultation quite reassuring and she said she didn't think I needed additional input at this time. After all the dark times, I take being mentally well incredibly seriously so it's good to know I can go back to the consultant and receive support if I need to.

FifiRebel Sun 27-Mar-16 18:39:01

Agree with other posters that it sounds like a consultant appointment due to mental health. I've also attended an antenatal clinic for same reason (but I have restarted antidepressants in preg / was expecting appointment).

Sophia1984 Sun 27-Mar-16 18:44:00

I was also referred for consultant care due to history of depression, but midwife told me she was doing this. Have heard of someone being referred for this even before their booking appointment though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now