Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low dose aspirin

(11 Posts)
hummingbird100 Fri 25-Mar-16 19:26:54

As I had pre-eclampsia in my last pregnancy, chances are I'm going to be offered the low dose aspirin to take from 12 weeks (I think). However - I'm still breastfeeding my toddler and bf and aspirin isn't advised...will this mean weaning him? There's not much I can find from Googling, my midwife said to ask the consultant but I'll be seeing them at 12 weeks and if I have to start the aspirin straight away I don't want to have to wean him cold turkey if it isn't safe. Any experiences of this? smile

kamillaw Sat 26-Mar-16 08:51:13

Children under 16 shouldn't have aspirin so if it does cross over breastmilk I would assume you would have to wean. Low dose aspirin really is very good for prevention. I have taken it in 2 subsequent pregnancies and I'm not quite at the end with the third pregnancy but the 2nd I have had no pre eclampsia. This time I'm 33 weeks and so far so good!

hummingbird100 Sat 26-Mar-16 09:09:18

kamillaw that's great news, I'm glad you're having a healthy pregnancy! 😀 I think I'll probably try calling the hospital next week and see what they say, then I can try weaning him over the next couple of weeks if I have to. It's just with it being a low dose and nothing conclusive that says you MUST stop feeding I wondered if I could carry on - to be honest I'm trying to gently cut his feeds down anyway as my nipples are so sensitive!

outputgap Sat 26-Mar-16 09:14:28

Hi, I've had to abruptly stop bf dc1 and dc2 when I've fallen pregnant as I take aspirin from the get go due to early losses/blood clotting issues. I was pretty heartbroken both times, but they weren't bothered!

People on here have told me I was wrong, but my understanding was that it could cause Reyes disease in small children, so I stopped bf.

LBOCS2 Sat 26-Mar-16 10:28:05

Have you spoken to the BF network about it? They're usually extremely hot on medication and information about these sorts of things.

I've been on low dose aspirin in this pregnancy for the same reason when I remember to take it and I'm 38 weeks now with no signs of rising BP. <touches wood>.

hummingbird100 Sat 26-Mar-16 11:14:07

I did message the Breastfeeding Network LB but didn't get a response, I guess they're very busy - I could try again though, I've messaged about other things and had fantastic advice from them.

I have mixed feelings about weaning, he's 20 months and still likes 3/4 feeds in 24 hours but I've been trying to reduce that to just mornings and bedtimes anyway. He's also become very demanding and tantrummy when he doesn't get what he wants (including milk) but I think that's just his age - approaching the terrible twos! It's just so useful still for settling him to sleep still. I'd like to think he wasn't bothered like your DC output but I think there'll be tears if I had to do it immediately!

hummingbird100 Sat 26-Mar-16 11:17:35

Oh and LB great news about your blood pressure...I was so sick of BP machines in my last pregnancy/post natal period!

outputgap Sat 26-Mar-16 12:17:25

I was feeding both to sleep when I stopped, and it was fine.. I snuggled dc2 instead of feeding him for a few weeks, and then sat with him to get him off to sleep. (I love creating rods for my own back!)
And now he goes down without a grown up having to do anything.

Blackpoollassy Sat 26-Mar-16 14:18:32

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search2/f?./temp/~833hii:1
Try this link. Lactmed was a great resource for me

hummingbird100 Sat 26-Mar-16 14:31:15

Giving that a read now Blackpoollassy, thank you! smile

LBOCS2 Sat 26-Mar-16 15:10:51

FWIW, I was given the tablets from 16 weeks, so if you know that it's likely you could cut down from now? I weaned DD at 20 months too - first of all we cut out daytime, then first thing in the morning and the last one to go was the bedtime feed - which we did replace with a bottle of normal milk, and DH gave her for a few nights. I just had to make sure I kept my nipples covered around her for about a month, otherwise she would do a dive straight for them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now