Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

cosmofer infusion- do I have to have one?

(4 Posts)
typicallyaverage Fri 25-Mar-16 09:40:08

Hi, I am currently 39 weeks +2 & I had a call from my midwife on Wednesday saying my iron levels were low (8.5) and that she has referred me back to the consultant.

She said she had made an appointment for me for yesterday. As this was late notice I had to sort out childcare for my 13 month old for the day and pay for an extra day at nursery.

I was told yesterday that I would need a cosmofer infusion (I think that's called, it wasn't explained very well) and all I was told was that I would have to come in tomorrow to have one, and that I would have to ring the ward at 9am to see what time I would be able to get a bed.

Today, I've paid for childcare again (there is no one to look after DS), & dropped DS off at nursery for 8am before ringing at 9 only to be told that the hospital is too busy today and I'd have to ring back again tomorrow.

Now, I would have to ask my mother to take the day off work tomorrow and lose out on pay (which I would have to compensate for, as it's not fair on her) to look after DS if I was to go in tomorrow. The only problem is, there isn't a guarantee she would be able to get the day off at such short notice on the busiest day of the week (she works in retail). Also, if I ring the hospital tomorrow and they say they are too busy, it's a third day That I've had to sort and pay for extra childcare for no reason.

So my question is, could I just leave it? There's a chance I may go into labour before I even end up having it done anyway and surely if it was that important they would have fitted me in somehow?

InFrance2014 Fri 25-Mar-16 09:53:03

Low iron is one of the risk factors for having a large post partum haemorrage.

typicallyaverage Fri 25-Mar-16 09:55:15

But I could go into labour now and not have had one? & if I ring up tomorrow they could say the same thing. sad I don't know what to do.

Wolpertinger Fri 25-Mar-16 09:56:16

No but without it you will feel like shit and it will take months for you to build up your iron levels with an Hb of 8.5 to a normal level just with iron tablets. And thats without considering that you are likely to lose at least a little more more blood at birth.

Labour is exhausting and once you have the baby, I am told no personal experience that they are very tiring too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now