Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Doing too much?

(8 Posts)
Acunningruse Tue 22-Mar-16 14:13:24

Im 14 weeks with Dc2 and life is really busy as you would expect with a 3.5 year old. I work part time 3.5 days a week with an hr commute each way, plus I also do Avon on my days off so walking and delivering etc. We are also in the middle of moving bedrooms and decorating before the arrival of DC2. Ds has been ill the last few days so I have been carrying him more than usual.
Does this sound like im doing too much? I am falling asleep by 9.30 every night im so tired and I am definitely more irritable than usual but otherwise no pregnancy symptoms at all so just worrying im going to damage baby as im sure with DC1 I felt much more pregnant at this point but then I had a lot more free time to think about the pregnancy!

StepfauxWife Tue 22-Mar-16 14:16:27

I often wondered about this too. I am pregnant with DC2 and have a very boisterous 2.9 year DD. I worked full time with a two hour commute up until 37.5 weeks as well as having busy weekend plans. I am also asleep by 9:30!

I think how you feel physically is a good barometer. Although I am tired, I feel physically well and all with baby seems well.

Artioo2 Tue 22-Mar-16 14:30:31

I think it comes down to how much you feel physically able to do. Being busy isn't going to harm the baby. Walking isn't going to harm the baby. Even lifting and carrying isn't going to harm the baby - but it might harm you! I pulled a muscle in my back doing work on the house while pregnant last time and it was awful, so be really careful about decorating.

Runningupthathill82 Tue 22-Mar-16 14:35:17

Sounds like normal life with a toddler to me, certainly wouldn't say you're doing "too much"!

Kentnurse2015 Tue 22-Mar-16 14:39:59

Nope. Sounds about as busy as most pregnant women! I guess you have to just listen to your body. Different people have different limits

Junosmum Tue 22-Mar-16 14:51:40

Only you know if you are doing too much - feeling exhausted, faint, not having time to eat or getting ill would be symptoms for me so sounds from what you describe like you are doing fine. If it feels too much, slow down.

magpie17 Tue 22-Mar-16 14:56:12

Go by how you feel. I ran, walked loads, moved house (from a 4th floor flat with no lift) etc etc when I was pregnant. People said I should take it easy but I felt fine. Early on before you have a huge bump I would make the most of it, as you will probably be physically much more tired later on.

LBOCS2 Tue 22-Mar-16 14:56:28

You know when you're doing too much - you're not tired then; you'll hurt, or you'll come over all funny.

I had a full time, stressful job (with lots of driving, lots of shouty people, evening meetings) and a toddler and general "life" going on in my first two trimesters, and while I was going to bed earlier I didn't feel whacked by it.

I've been on maternity leave for a while now, and am almost 38 weeks. On Sunday I got up, ate some toast, had a shower then went to the supermarket. By the time I'd unloaded the shopping from the car and taken my shoes upstairs, I had to have a sit down as I felt extremely faint and unwell. Done too much!

Your body will tell you. Get as much sleep as you need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now