Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

still no booking in appointment

(8 Posts)
salemtheteenagecat Mon 21-Mar-16 15:15:24

I am 7+4weeks and I registered at the doctors 3 weeks ago apparently my name is down in the book for the midwife and I still haven't heard anything I rang on Friday and they said don't worry she checks the book regularly but my name has been down for 3 weeks! Do I need to start chasing for my booking in appointment? Also this is my first does your partner attend?

Sanch1 Mon 21-Mar-16 15:48:41

You should book in between 8 and 10 weeks so maybe chase at the end of the week if you haven't heard anything. Your partner doesn't need to attend, its quite boring, lots of questions. You'll just need to know about anything significant in his or his family's medical history.

Everythinggettingbigger Mon 21-Mar-16 16:03:11

to be honest my DP was more of a hindrance being at our booking in app, hes like a big child and rudely sat playing on his phone during the whole time and huffing and puffing at the time it was taking because the midwife (quite old and very forgetful) had to keep going out the room to find various things and would come back without them but with something else, it was frustrating in the end but I think he made it worse! this was at 8+5 weeks, I switched hospitals and had another booking in app at 16 weeks in the new hospital, I didn't take him this time.....much nicer experience!

as Sanch said, you will need to know any significant family history of his though....eg. heart attacks in the family, history of cancer...(you know, the lovely stuff)

Beth2511 Mon 21-Mar-16 16:15:36

Here they dont do them until at least 10 weeks, and wont call you until 9/10 weeks. They are crazy busy and they like to do them as late as pos because of miscarriages etc. I have mine 6 hours before my 12 week scan on 7th april!

salemtheteenagecat Mon 21-Mar-16 18:01:15

Ahh thank you! I will relax a bit I know it's just a waiting game.

queenoftheworld93 Mon 21-Mar-16 20:33:05

Mine isn't until I'm 11 weeks! It's been planned since I was 6 weeks though.

FuzzyOwl Mon 21-Mar-16 20:37:49

I agree about booking in appointments usually being between 8 and 10 weeks, although some places apparently do them at the same time as your 12 week scan. However, I think you should still chase if it gets to the end of next week and you haven't heard anything.

I am pregnant and have an appointment when I will be 9+1 but have known about it for a couple of weeks now, so I would have thought it reasonable for you to have a little notice as well.

Shanghaichica Sat 02-Apr-16 11:04:08

I didn't have my booking appointment until I was 14 weeks and then I was almost 17 weeks when I had my dating scan!

Basically I found out I was pregnant when I was six weeks. Two weeks after I missed my period. I called my Dr to make an appointment and I was told that I had been deregistered because I hadn't see the dr in almost 2 years. They said I could re-register. I chose to register at another GP which was much closer to where I live. Anyway this awful GP's surgery took 4 weeks to register me. Every week I'd call in and I kept getting fobbed off, being told that the practice manager was away, off sick etc. I kept stressing to them that I was pregnant and how far along I was but they didn't seem to be worried. I was just about to tell them to forget about it and register somewhere else. Then after 4 weeks I was registered. I had to wait a week to see the nurse to do the new patient check up. Then when I saw the nurse I was told, you have to do a pregnancy test before you can see the Dr. So I had to do a pregnancy test and wait a week for the results. When I finally saw the Dr I was nearly 12 weeks pregnant and all she said was yes you are pregnant! I was then referred to the maternity services and hence I didn't get my booking appointment until I was 14 + 1 and I was 16 + 5 when I had my dating scan. Luckily I was still able to have the quadruple test for Down Syndrome at that late stage.

Anyhow I had my booking bloods and they were all fine. I had my anomaly scan at 21 + 5 which went well. Everything since then has been according to schedule. I'm now 34+ 3.

It was very worrying in the early days when I couldn't even get to see a Dr, let alone a midwife. When I went for my dating scan I explained what had happened to the sonographer and he said that I could of self referred to A and E and said that I was having stomach pains and bleeding and I would have been given an ultrasound.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now