Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I'm 17 years old, took the levonelle morning after pill and think I'm pregnant.

(35 Posts)
user987 Sun 20-Mar-16 21:32:44

Does it seems as though I'm pregnant if I have the following symptoms..?
-left side only cramps
-spotting
-nausea
-lots of discharge
-hot flashes

I had sex about a week and a half ago but have no idea when my last period was, which is really bad... I just cannot remember the date. I took a pregnancy test a week after I had sex but it came back negative and I'm really worried as I think I am.

DextersMistress Sun 20-Mar-16 21:37:35

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have pg symptoms so soon, have you had an sti check?

SweetieDrops Sun 20-Mar-16 21:41:18

According to this, those could be effects from the morning after pill.

user987 Sun 20-Mar-16 21:41:41

Yes I have and luckily I'm fine. He used a condom on and off which I know shouldn't of happened but it did, when he ejaculated a condom was on but I'm still worried. I did take the pill 3 hrs later but I'm very scared as I'm not ready to be a mother yet, which is what I should have thought hard about before

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Sun 20-Mar-16 21:42:05

It is pretty early for symptoms. Not really much to do but do another pregnancy test - wait and then do another one a week later.

Good luck and maybe get on STI test

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Sun 20-Mar-16 21:42:58

Sorry X post of the STI test.

user987 Sun 20-Mar-16 21:43:07

Thank you sweetiedrops, how long would you suggest I wait before testing again?

PotteringAlong Sun 20-Mar-16 21:45:00

So your boyfriend was wearing a condom and you've taken the morning after pill? The chances of you being pregnant are vanishingly small.

user987 Sun 20-Mar-16 21:50:00

I have also heard something about levonelle being ineffective when you ovulate? I have no clue about my cycle but I think it could have been around this time which is why I am so worried

JennyOnAPlate Sun 20-Mar-16 21:53:51

I honestly think you are worrying over nothing. If he wore a condom and you've taken the morning after pill, it's very very unlikely that you are pregnant.

user987 Sun 20-Mar-16 21:55:24

I am worried because of "pre-cum" and getting pregnant and I think this may have happened... I just find it weird that I'm only getting cramps on my left side?

gamerchick Sun 20-Mar-16 21:55:55

The morning after pill is a vile medication. It totally screwed with my cycle for 3 months.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 20-Mar-16 22:02:31

The morning after pill (as far as i remember) works by preventing implantation of a fertilized egg in the lining of the womb so where you are in your cycle wont matter.

It does sound like post morning after pill symptoms but mabye do another preg test just to be sure.

When did you take the pill? i think it works for about three days after sex takes place.

Do be aware that the liquid released from the penis before ejaculation can contain sperm but it is unlikely says the woman who used the withdrawal method and ended up pregnant but more importantly, any viruses that cause STD's will be present in this liquid. So unless you are really sure of your partner's status you should use barrier contraception (condoms)

If this is a long term relationship or you intend having regular sex maybe think about going on the pill (because not only did i end up pregnant after relying on the withdrawal method my first pregnancy was a failed condom grin) although you should still use condoms to protect from STD's.

I honestly doubt you are pregnant though. flowers

FanSpamTastic Sun 20-Mar-16 22:04:14

The idea behind the MAP is that it is supposed to delay or prevent ovulation - so it is more effective in the first half of your cycle before ovulation occurs. But it can also inhibit fertilisation and implantation after ovulation. I had to look into this myself recently and I am in my 40's! We get older but not necessarily wiser!

Now you are sexually active it would be a good idea to be more aware of your menstrual cycle. There are some good apps that you can use - Period Tracker etc that you can just plug in start and end days and over time it starts to come up with predictions for your cycle. Including days where you are most fertile and likely to ovulate.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 20-Mar-16 22:04:53

and gamer is right, MAP is really hard core medication and will mess with your hormones like billyo so you don't want to be avoiding having to take it in the first place.

user987 Sun 20-Mar-16 22:05:57

What happened GamerChick? How late were you etc...?

user987 Sun 20-Mar-16 22:08:30

And thank you so much for all of the info! smile
How delayed would you expect my period to be then? Is it likely that I will miss any? My Mum knows about my cycle (in general) and keeps reminding me that Im due on at the moment sad

gamerchick Sun 20-Mar-16 22:13:59

Very late then on and off, cramps, crying over nothing, mega painful boobs.

Awful stuff.

I really wouldn't worry but maybe a long term contraceptive needs to be sorted so you don't have to take it again and yes to the sti check.

user987 Sun 20-Mar-16 22:24:46

What you describe is how my periods are already, but what contraception would everybody recommend the most? I'm thinking of a coil... but I cant have my periods stop.

hollinhurst84 Sun 20-Mar-16 23:00:09

Copper coil keeps periods as normal, maybe a little heavier but no hormones so shouldn't affect cycle

user987 Sun 20-Mar-16 23:05:51

How does the copper coil work? Has anyone tried it?

Clobbered Sun 20-Mar-16 23:08:09

Why is your Mum taking such an interest in your cycle? Is that why you can't have your periods stop? Isn't it time you told her (nicely) to mind her own business?

user987 Sun 20-Mar-16 23:15:50

Lol I guess that she just notices like most Mums? And yes that is the reason why... Would most mums be like this when they find out their child is growing up haha?

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 20-Mar-16 23:18:32

Ime they don't like to put a copper coil in if you haven't had a baby.

user987 Sun 20-Mar-16 23:21:06

I guess that makes sense now that I have looked at how it works

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now