Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

sick of feeling sick! help!

(10 Posts)
JessRussell Sat 19-Mar-16 19:44:38

Hey everyone,
Just wondering if anybody has any tips to help with nausea, ten weeks pregnant and feeling sick 24/7 I don't what what to try, the only thing that people keep telling me is "have ginger" but when I do I feel ten times worse, any suggestions would be appreciated grin

OhShutUpThomas Sat 19-Mar-16 19:48:13

Yes. Promethazine.
I'm 18 weeks now, haven't taken it since around ten weeks but needed it again last day or so. Not sure why!
I take the lowest dose, only when I need it, and it helps the nausea and makes me sleep better.

Pregnancy nausea is awful. I feel for you flowers
But go to the doctor - you don't need to suffer in silence, not in 2016!

JessRussell Sat 19-Mar-16 19:57:23

Hey, thanks for the quick reply, yeah the nausea is awful, especially since I work as a barmaid/waitress, the smells make work tough! I'm a bit paranoid about taking things as I had a miscarriage last year and trying my best to have anything unless I NEED it. I may have to try it though as I can't go on feeling like this, just hoping it goes soon sad

JessRussell Sat 19-Mar-16 19:58:43

* * I meant trying my best not to have anything unless need it

BikeRunSki Sat 19-Mar-16 19:59:31

Lots of useful info here

aaaaarggh! Not ginger! My youngest is 4.5 and I still can't stand ginger, flipping' useless anyway!

Many (gentle) hugs, pregnancy sickness is grim. Early pg quite possibly the most grim times of my life. Is this your first baby?

Some things to know

- your GP can prescribe anti-sickness drugs (but may not). There are several, which all have a different effect on people (with me different drugs had different effects in each pg).
- Your employer can not penalise your for pregnancy related sickness/sick leave/

It sounds like you may have Hyperemisis Gravidarum - excessive sickness in pregnancy. I basically threw up every time I moved, ate or drank from weeks 7-18. The important thing is to stay hydrated - at my worst I just had to let ice cubes melt in my mouth. I barely ate a thing during this period - then it just stopped. Pretty much overnight in my first pg, more slowly in my second.

There's also an ongoing "Hyperemisis Support" thread on the pregnancy board.

Go and see your GP and ask about the drugs, but if you are dehydrated (dark wee) then you may need rehydrating on a drip in hospital, in which case you can go via A&E.

I hope things pick up for you soon, you have my every sympathy.

OhShutUpThomas Sat 19-Mar-16 20:05:52

Are you actually being sick or just for want of a better word! feeling nauseous?
My GP prescribed promethazine for bad nausea alone, as I have a phobia of being sick and it has helped so much.
I hate taking anything, even paracetamol, and I did so much research before taking it. It's been prescribed for decades though and is considered safe.

JessRussell Sat 19-Mar-16 20:10:59

This is my second pregnancy but will be my first child, I have only been sick a couple of times but constantly feeling nauseous, I'm struggling to use transport and I'm having to get off buses before I reach my stop from fear of being sick on the bus! Also not sleeping properly because of it. Want to eat everything but the smell of food makes me want to throw up! The only thing which I can handle having is ice cold vimto! sad

PurplePotatoes Sat 19-Mar-16 20:14:27

I had about 7 weeks of feeling sick 24/7 and chewing gum helped me a lot!
Also boiled sweets / mints / dry crackers.

whiteychappers Sat 19-Mar-16 20:20:35

I've had it since about week 6 and still going strong at 12 weeks but I'm managing it much better now. Sleep as much as you can, my nausea is much worse when I'm tired. I puke every day but can generally get on top of it by lunchtime. I was scared when someone suggested I had HG so don't automatically think its going to get that bed. I find always try and have something in your stomach. Don't worry too much about eating and drinking healthy, have whatever you can and whenever, I don't stick to set mealtimes now, when ufeel sick I just shove any food in my mouth even if its just a sucky sweet. Don't feel guilty for having to vegetate, you are growing a human and its tough. The following foods have helped me when I've been really bad and have struggled to eat and drink. Basically I ended up with foods that weren't too bad on the way back up.

Ice pops
Calypos ice lollies
Mini milk ice lollies
Lucozade
Coke
Lemonade
Powerade
Instant chicken noodles
Dairylea & cream crackers
Granny smith apples
Cold toast with cold butter
Crisps, crisps and more crisps

You will start to cope with it, I was soo fed up at 8 weeks I completely regretted getting pregnant but now I'm getting used to it and seeing bubs at my scan has completely changed my perception now. I know I'm not puking for nothing 😀

The HG thread is useful to read though as it gave me a lot of motivation that there are people much worse than me who have needed too be hospitalised. I was so scare I've tried my hardest to follow their advice.

Also not sure if you are using pregnancy vits, these made me puke even more.

DowntonDiva Sat 19-Mar-16 20:35:45

Another vote for crisps!

Salt and vinegar walkers got me through my first trimester. And never leaving home without rice cakes and water for the commute. Mine wore off at 14 weeks hopefully yours will pass soon thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now