Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The reflux, oh the reflux!

(22 Posts)
SmallBee Fri 18-Mar-16 19:34:27

I'm 18 weeks with my second and thought I was getting away without any acid reflux.
Needless to say I got cocky and I was very wrong.
It has struck with a vengeance today but for the life of me I cannot remember what I did to combat this last time round.
Please can you tell me your tips and tricks for coping with it?
Are there any foods that will help?

Artioo2 Fri 18-Mar-16 19:35:49

I swig Gaviscon directly from the bottle. smile

MunchyMunchkin Fri 18-Mar-16 19:36:32

Basic - Gaviscon tablets or liquid
Medication - ranitidine/omeprazole
You can buy ranitidine over the counter in 75ng doses. You can take 150mg twice a day or 300mg once a day. Quickly mounts up so get a script from the gp. Best taken daily.
Avoid acidic food like citrus and tomatoes. You may find dairy helps.

frikadela01 Fri 18-Mar-16 19:37:24

I feel your pain. I had horrific heartburn this morning and all I'd had wad a drink of water. Everything causes it for me so Ive just thought sod it and eat what I like and just neck gaviscon whenever I need to.

FuzzyOwl Fri 18-Mar-16 19:42:53

I was prescribed omeprazole to take daily and it was magical!

LillyBugg Fri 18-Mar-16 19:43:44

I'm with Artioo. My glass recycling was the source of much hilarity.

jobrum Fri 18-Mar-16 19:50:49

Ranitadine worked for me too. I couldn't believe how bad indigestion could be! Nothing food wise improved it, everything made it worse. I had a friend how found sipping milk often helped.

SmallBee Fri 18-Mar-16 21:44:35

Oh amazing, thank you so much for all the replies. Will start with the gaviscon and work my way up I think.
I got the most recent bout from a flipping cup of tea! It's just hot water and milk.
DH went and got some gaviscon tablets, they're amazing and he is my hero.

Champagneformyrealfriends Fri 18-Mar-16 22:01:07

Gaviscon all the way! I go through a big bottle a week.

mamabear25 Sat 19-Mar-16 01:35:28

I take ranitidine every night. It doesn't stop the reflux but it does calm it down so I can go to sleep. Hope you find something to help smile

mellowyellow1 Sat 19-Mar-16 11:11:42

Gaviscon here too, must have spent over 50 quid on the minty flavoured one!

KayTee87 Sat 19-Mar-16 11:14:17

Gaviscon or icecream wink

Tfoot75 Sat 19-Mar-16 11:16:59

I've never found mine to be linked to what I've eaten tbh. A swig of gaviscon liquid peppermint always sorts it out for a few hours though.

TeaPleaseLouise Sat 19-Mar-16 11:17:21

I drank galviscon from the bottle too, I only found out about the prescription stuff after I had DS. If I could go back in time I'd be at the Dr's begging for it!

DorothyHarris Sat 19-Mar-16 12:17:30

Ranitidine! I just went to the Dr last week for it because I couldn't sleep its a revelation. Only got 3 days to go for my section now, I wish id known the Dr would give me something or I'd have asked much sooner.

DropYourSword Sat 19-Mar-16 12:19:21

Ranitidine and pariet. Life changing. I feel your pain. I was just too stupid to do something about it for waaay longer than you!

LillyBugg Sat 19-Mar-16 13:20:49

Your midwife can prescribe gaviscon by the way. I mentioned in passing how much I was getting through and she kindly told me I could get it on prescription. I never actually collected that prescription as my baby came so early but that's a WHOLE other story grin

LucilleLeSueur Sat 19-Mar-16 14:12:02

Luckily so far for me the orange Rennies are working because all the other stuff makes me feel pukey.

I feel your pain OP, it's a misery!

Lizkmg Sun 20-Mar-16 06:46:02

Unexpectedly, I found Gaviscon tablets much better than the liquid. DP bought tablets instead of liquid because he didn't know I wanted the liquid. So I tried them and they have been at least twice as effective for me, so maybe try tablets and the liquid to see which suits you.

JellyBaby26 Sun 20-Mar-16 07:08:44

I literally couldn't eat anythig without acid reflux. Gaviscon only works temporarily for me. I am now on omeprazole which is finally working. I can now eat anything again!!

NeedACleverNN Sun 20-Mar-16 15:41:03

Yes gaviscon all the way.

My midwife told me that dairy can actually make it worse and to avoid it.

BettyBi0 Sun 20-Mar-16 23:07:54

I've eaten a small mountain of Tums

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now