Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

cyclizine

(13 Posts)
Summerblaze100 Thu 17-Mar-16 18:09:33

I've just been prescribed this and took my first tablet at noon.

The doctor said if I took 2 and I didn't stop being sick, then I would have to go to the hospital.

Thing is, I haven't been sick since my tablet but I still feel horrendously sick and have been stuck over the toilet feeling like I'm going to be sick.

So depressed. I thought this would be a bit of a miracle cure and now I'm down that this could be it for months. I can't do anything including looking after my 3dc.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 17-Mar-16 18:11:52

I took it throughout my pregnancy and the nausea never went but the vomiting did. Also made me sleep all the time. I could cope with the nausea as I wasn't actually vomiting.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 17-Mar-16 18:12:16

How many weeks are you?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 17-Mar-16 18:13:01

If tim doesnt work your ou ld ask for ondansetron. It works better but is much more expensive so Drs are reluctant to prescribe it. You may have to cry.

Summerblaze100 Thu 17-Mar-16 18:34:19

I'm 7 weeks. It's the nausea that I find the most debilitating.

Crying I can do. In fact, it's all I do.

snorepatrol Thu 17-Mar-16 18:39:54

To be honest the cyclizine never worked for me it made me more sick as did phenagan.

I took metroclorprimide and ondancetron (which technically is unlicensed for pregnancy in the UK but is first drug of choice in America my Gynae told me that it was purely due to financial reasons that it was unlicensed in the uk as its been used in America without problems for years) and then in the end I had to have steroids too which definitely worked but they were a last resort.

If your meds don't work there are still quite a few more you can try so make sure you ask.

Pinklily1 Thu 17-Mar-16 19:41:59

I managed three days on cyclezine - it made me more sick. The doctor did tell me that it would help with the sickness but wouldn't take away the nausea. Maybe see if they can give you something else?

ThePowerOfCake Thu 17-Mar-16 21:52:51

Cyclizine didn't completely stop my sickness and made me very tired at first. It did allow me to eat and drink enough to function so I stuck with it. I took it for 8 weeks in the end. I felt very much like you on the first day I was taking it and was fully expecting to be back at the doctors within days, but it started to improve the next day. Give it a chance but if you're still really suffering go back and see the GP, there are plenty of other medications they can try.

lokahsamastah Fri 18-Mar-16 06:32:05

Cyclizine never worked for me. Nausea is just as serious as vomiting if it is affecting your ability to take fluids, and if it is impacting on your daily life. Ask for different meds - ondansetron, prochlorperazine and promethazine are all options - I'm on a combination of all three and it is working (still feel dreadful and have to rest all the time I'm afraid).

septembersunshine Fri 18-Mar-16 19:16:42

Cyclizine was terrible for me - made me worse. I tried Buccastem (the one that goes under your lip on your gum) and it didn't have any effect. The only thing that did it was Ondansetron. I ended up in hospital and they gave it though a drip - best feeling ever to be free from the nausea for even a brief time. I would ask for this is your not improving. There is a hyperemesis support thread on here somewhere - it was so helpful to me. There is so much knowledge there about the drugs so give that a read if you feel like you need to know more.

nearlyreadytopop Fri 18-Mar-16 19:46:03

It didn't work for me. It was the first one tried after I was admitted for Hyperemesis. It took ondansetron and metroclopramide to get me back on track.
If it's not working go back and ask for a change.

SupSlick Fri 18-Mar-16 19:51:08

I got into the swing of things with Cyclizine after a while. By the swing of things, I mean I would take one & conk out for 8 hours before waking up to take the next. I ended up admitted loads of times because of dehydration & found the Cyclizine injections were much better, although they initially sent me daft, & i was sat in a ward pretending to be a dinosaur blush at least I wasn't nauseous though!

I ended up taking Cyclizine & metoclopramide together which managed to hold off the nausea, I'd go back to the GP OP.

Hang in there flowers

NotWithoutMyMerkin Fri 18-Mar-16 19:59:37

For me (and I'm just coming off it now) cyclizine was great. It didn't make me drowsy/tired and while it did help a little bit immediately, it took about a week for the cumulative effect to make a big difference. I was told the max dose was three tablets in 24 hours so I was taking one at 6ish when I woke, one at 1pm, and one at 8 just before bed.
I'd give it a few days of taking them to see how you get on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now