Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can they check cervix at 12 week scan?

(8 Posts)
MrsPickwick Wed 16-Mar-16 21:35:41

If I asked them to? I'm basically quite paranoid about the possibility of an incompetent cervix, and want all the reassurance I can get. A cousin of mine lost her baby at 17 weeks for this reason. She tried five years for that baby; it was just so devastating.

I too have tried many years for this pregnancy, and the idea of cervical incompetence scares me a lot. It seems that they only try to fix the problem in subsequent pregnancies, once a tragedy has already occurred. This just doesn't seem good enough to me - esp as it's unlikely I'll ever be lucky enough to get pregnant a second time.

Is there any way I can get any reassurance? Am I being silly?

DixieNormas Wed 16-Mar-16 21:42:02

Even if they did check the cervix at 12 weeks it would be too early to tell, I have an incompetent cervix and they don't tend to fail until later on, you can pay for private checks but not everywhere do them

DixieNormas Wed 16-Mar-16 21:43:33

the other thing would be to check if you have a short cervix which can lead to an incompetent cervix, not everyone with ic has a short cervix though

outputgap Wed 16-Mar-16 23:36:14

Hi, the private Fetal Medicine Centre in London offer a cervical scan from 16 weeks.

MrsPickwick Thu 17-Mar-16 09:42:56

Thanks for replies. I'll look into private scans. It's strange to me that there's nothing on the NHS that seeks to prevent it unless it's already happened to you. Given that it causes the death of perfectly healthy babies sad

DixieNormas Thu 17-Mar-16 11:59:13

No and they don't always do much to prevent it happening again unless you fit certain criteria.

I think the problem is it can happen so quickly, I had a scan at 17 weeks and everything was looking fine but my cervix started to fail at 18 weeks

JessieMcJessie Fri 18-Mar-16 14:57:24

I know what you mean Mrs Pickwick. My Mum lost a baby due to incompetent cervix and I too was worried about it. I asked my consultant at the appointment I had when I was about 13 weeks (am 16 now) and she said that it's not hereditary and the causes are either weakness resulting from treatment for pre-cancerous cells or infection. (my Mum passed away a few years ago and I don't know if that's what she had).

However on another thread on here there were a few women who had had losses due to incompetent cervix, and they DID have increased risk due to previous treatment but nothing had been offered to prevent the cervix opening in their first pregnancies. A few were on second pregnancies and had now had stitches to keep the cervix closed but I don't understand why they weren't offered this first time round.

If you have a history like that it might be worth pushing for further precautions. I don't have such a history and am just hoping that it's all OK as I am 42 and had to have IVF so getting pregnant again is not likely for me either.

DixieNormas Fri 18-Mar-16 18:17:23

The only reason I was eligible for a stitch in my next pg was because my consultant had attempted a rescue stitch when my cervix had failed in the previous pg. If he hadn't I wouldn't have met criteria and would have just been monitored.

we don't know what caused the ic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now