Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When should I have a scan?

(7 Posts)
DrMum83 Wed 16-Mar-16 16:22:01

DH and I can't agree.
I'm only 5+1, had a prev mmc 2 years ago which was discovered after going for a private early scan around 7 weeks and the pgnancy was measuring a week behind. We then faced an anxious wait for a week to see if things caught up - they didn't. It was horrible.
I had my DD thankfully a year later and I'm now pregnant again.

I'm impatient and petrified.
I'd like to book a scan for 6+4 but DH thinks if we wait til 7+4, if there's no heartbeat then we'll kinda know there and then rather than have to face another anxious week. (I'm very sure on my dates, btw)
WWYD? I know sensibly, the later the better but it's an all consuming anxiety!
Thanks

LBOCS2 Wed 16-Mar-16 16:24:04

Why not split the difference? If you're sure on your dates there should be a heartbeat by 7 weeks.

Salene Wed 16-Mar-16 16:26:35

Or just wait till your 12 weeks scan, that's when miscarriage really reduces. You could get at 7/8 weeks scan and all be ok then MC.

Personally I think early scans aren't a good idea. It can give false reassurance. If wait till 12 weeks

Good luck and I hope all works out well xx

Salene Wed 16-Mar-16 16:26:57

I'd not if

DrMum83 Wed 16-Mar-16 16:34:50

Thanks. Can't really split the difference as has to be a weekend day for scan due to work etc

Thanks Salene, I take your point but miscarriage risk drops rapidly once heartbeat is seen around 7 weeks, I know there's still risk but odds so much better.

LouiseEG Wed 16-Mar-16 16:47:53

It's a tough one isn't it? I had a scan at about 6+4 with this pregnancy at the EPU. I'd had a miscarriage about that time a couple of months before and had some bleeding so was petrified. I was lucky that they managed to find a heartbeat, but that was quite early.
There's a good chance you won't be able to find a heartbeat so early, in which case, even if it's measuring well will you still feel reassured or want another scan a week later? Might be better to wait a week if you can bear it. I'm not good with waiting either - my husband jokes that he's going to buy me a home scanner so I can see the baby every day to keep me sane!
Good luck

Helloall1 Wed 16-Mar-16 16:50:22

Hi DrM

Do what is right for you and your family.

We've recently had two early scans, due to a previous ectopic. We saw the heartbeat from 6+2. I can't explain how reassuring it has been, to know it's not another ectopic.

We know it's obviously not a guarantee but it has helped us focus immensely.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now